Author Topic: Paid Education [Merged]  (Read 102228 times)

Offline Northern Touch

• Rate Post
  • Not a total FNG
Re: CANFORGEN - Reserve Education Reimbursement
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2004, 20:08:57 »
I am SOOOOO glad that the program has been instituted!!! It just makes sense!

This is a huge benefit for someone like me who has been living on thier own since 18, working full time and DOESN'T QUALIFY for OSAP!!!

Question if someone could help.

The recruiter told me this program works only if it has relevance to your job in the reserves or future career with the Forces. Understandable obviously, but would a diploma from college in Law+Security or Police Foundations be reimbursed if I'm Infantry????

Joe
 ???

I know of more then one person in my unit being reimbursed for Police foundations.  So it looks like your in luck.
Never ask anyone to do something your not willing to do yourself

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2004, 07:56:05 »
Thank you VERY much! It eases my stress level just to hear that! Not like it's an expensive course to take as far as college courses go, but when your looking at the prospect of forking it all out yourself it's kinda nasty. Great!

Happy camper here!  :warstory:
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 04:51:48 »
Some particular praise and thanks are due to the Army Staff who fought for this when somebody else at NDHQ tried to cancel this plan.

A good example of "know your troops and promote their welfare"
(something that's called 'leadership')

Thanks, MGen Caron (and all the other staff who helped fight this battle).
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2004, 04:22:45 »
My understanding of this was it was a fight between the A/CLS MGen Caron and various bean-counter wienies in VCDS shops. Chalk one up for the Army! Now-lets expand this program to community colleges so we can start revitalizing our CSS units in the Res with civ equivalencies. Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2004, 04:31:49 »
hrmm would this encompass fire protection at seneca college if i was in a reserve engineer unit?
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2004, 04:47:46 »
hrmm would this encompass fire protection at seneca college if i was in a reserve engineer unit?

During the Reserve Roles Missions and Tasks Townhall series in 38 CBG, one of our COs who was also a volunteer firefighter brought up a similar idea: he suggested that some of the VFF training such as Incident Command, High Angle Rescue (rappelling and climbing), etc had value to the military in various ways, and thus Res soldiers taking Firefighter Courses at community colleges should be eligible for reimbursement. I see some merit in this: in general I think we will benefit from a broader interpretation of what is useful rather than a narrow one. (Some wisdom will have to be applied, of course...) Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2004, 05:33:01 »
crap I wish I was younger !!
The Marine Collage here in Van. is no longer teaching Merchant Marine Engineer Course's for 2nd Engineer or Chief Engineer,for me to up grade to 2nd Engineer I have to go down east to Halifax or the Rock and I doubt at my age the Force's will give me a break.
But if the Collage was still teaching I'd be game!!

You young Ladies and Gent.'s take advantage,you are getting somthing I never got when I joined in 76,all's I got was 56 Pattern webbing ;) ;D

Go for it!!

THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2004, 17:53:54 »
who was trying to get this removed anyways?
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2004, 21:47:04 »
pbi this program applies to community colleges as well, The CANFORGEN clearly states university and college programs (also read this it explains in more detail than the CANFORGEN http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/policies/CBI/210-801_e.asp).  Use the second link that was provided and it tells you what to do.  Specifically you have to submit an online ILP (individual learning plan  http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/ILP/ilp_form/ilp.asp)  if you go there, there is a spot about half-way through were you have to justify/explain "how your proposed ILP will benefit the CF and/or lead directly to second career employment. Your statement may include additional information supporting your ILP, such as why you chose a particular educational program or institution. You must attach the statement on a separate sheet." (there words not mine).

So there you have it, your program does not have to directly relate to your MOC.

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2004, 08:46:21 »
For officers, pretty easy, given that a degree is a requirement by the forces, so it clearly benefits them. :)  BUt I'm sure they just want to see that you've thought about it.

Offline The_Stu

• Rate Post
thinking about signing up
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2004, 19:05:04 »
Im thinking about joining the reserves, and read through the FAQ, I just have a few questions, and please yell at me if this is anwsered somewhere else or im in the wrong forum.

1. Will I be reimbursed for my University expenses (Im currently second year at UVic on Vancouver Island and thinking about majoring in political science) ive heard your degree has to correspond in some way to the direction you take in the forces? (Im thinking about going combat engineer, or maybe intelligence or infantry.)

2. What is the overall commitment that you make to the forces? How many years, how much time per year, etc. Also am I obligated to go somewhere and fight or what have you or is that up to me?

3. If I do sign up, I go somewhere to go to Basic in the summer right? Where would I be going? (Im in western canada, Vancouver island 8 months of the year, other 4 Vancouver area)

4. I was considering all this last year and didnt get my *** in gear to go talk to a recruiter and by the time I did he said there was no chance I would make it in for the summer, so when should I be getting the ball in motion so I dont have to wait another year?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
Re: thinking about signing up
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2004, 21:43:22 »
Yes some of these have already been answered but since I have nothing better to do with my time I'll answer them anyway.  :)

1. Yes, after finishing basic, you can apply for education reimbursement. I believe you apply at the end of the school year for the previous yr because you need a transcript for it. WRT getting compensation for years completed before joining, I'm not sure how that works but as long as you don't exceed the $8000 limit it might be possible (but don't quote me on it.) Your degree doesn't have to correspond with your trade, I'm in sigs and I'm taking arts courses in university and getting $$ for it.

2. In the reserves there's technically no commitment, you can quit at any time. You're expected to parade 1 night a week and 1-2 weekends a month for exercises, but if for some valid reason you can't make it for a night or a weekend or two, generally people are pretty understanding about it. You also aren't obligated to go overseas or anything but many people volunteer to go as there are plenty of opportunities for reservists who wish to do so.

3. You can go away for basic in the summer, I have no clue where you would go, it depends on your trade as well as where you live. Many units also offer basic on weekends during the year, I believe it's usually every other weekend.

4. Try it, if you go to a recriuter right after the summer break and hand in an application you could get lucky. I handed mine in in April of last yr and was off to basic two months later. Or you could be out of luck and have to wait a while, but then you'd just be first in line for the next course availible.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
VVV

Offline The_Stu

• Rate Post
Re: thinking about signing up
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2004, 22:32:07 »
excellent, all the anwsers I needed, thanks.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lazy E

• Mike Wraight
  • Rate Post
Education Reimbursment
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2005, 08:45:29 »
Can anyone direct me to where I can get the regulations regarding education reimbursement? I am deploying on roto 3 in Feb and I want to take advantage of the time to do some correspondence courses.  ???
Always good to hear from old buddies, drop me a line anytime. I am with the Grenville County OPP now, work out of Prescott Detachment. We live in Kemptville (30 minutes South of Ottawa).

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: Education Reimbursment
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2005, 08:49:30 »
Just type "reimbursement" in the search feature, I got too many hits to list here.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2005, 09:12:49 »
Go to your PSO office.  Now to recieve reimbursment you have to fill out an ILP (Individual learning plan) before they will authorize any funds.  I did some courses while deployed in Athena and I had to fill out a ILP before recieving reimburment.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2005, 16:35:03 »
Take a look at this:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/11_04/11_04_er_e.asp

This change really impacts quite a few members.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2005, 17:14:19 »
CANFORGEN - Changes to CF Education Reimbursement Programs

Reg Force:  www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/er/reg/ERReg_e.asp   

Reserve Force:  http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/er/pres/Pres_e.asp   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 19:22:54 by George Wallace »

Offline Morgs

• Rate Post
  • You can't see me
CF and Continuing Education
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2005, 18:52:49 »
If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

The [Education Reimbursement Program] for the Regular Force program support education upgrading for members of the Regular Force and provides eligible members, not covered under other programs, 100 percent reimbursement for courses towards a diploma or university degree in a subject area determined to be in the interests of the CF.

Taken from: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/benefits/cont_ed_e.aspx  Link No Longer Works.

This is really the only relevant information on this page, so i was wondering if there is anyone on Army.ca who are currently completing, or has completed a diploma or degree as an NCM? and if so do you have any more information on the subject?
I also have some specific questions if they can be answered...
1) What kind of areas are "determined to be in the interests of the CF?"
2) Do you have to be in for a certain amount of time before you are eligible for the ER program?
3) How is the reimbursement handled? and;
4) Does the CF reccomend/choose institutions or is it up to the CF member to find their own position?

Thanks in advance for your help!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 19:29:17 by George Wallace »
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

chikn suckr

ATTN. All Reg. Force NCM! Education reimbursement changes
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2005, 15:47:17 »
This topic concerns the CANFORGEN published during the end of '04 dealing with the change of the military reimbursement program for education. It states that, (and I will be careful here to say that these facts have been pulled from a copied CANFORGEN on this site entitled 'CANFORGEN-changes to Education Reimbursement Programs' and my BPSO) as a reg force member releasing from the military with under ten years service there are NO financial benefits offered for education, a change from the approx. $1000 per year of service! If a member chooses to stay in the reserve and study part time they may be eligible for educatonal compensation and of course the reg force for all part time military relevant courses. As a releasing full-time member with over ten years service we may be entitled for up to $5000 max. towards education. A (small?) change from the $20 thousand once available. I would like to ask if there are any other members who do not feel that this particular policy change should warrant special attention on our behalf? If a member signs a contract with the military, are the CF not held themselves to certain obligations to meet, or is there a clause that has been missed by all of us that entitles them to alter our benefits? If this is so, I would recommend vigilance on behalf of all members to try and prevent any other beneficial programs that apply to us all (and especially the NCM's which this policy does most greatly affect), from also disappearing or changing. I have not experienced the protest that I would consider deserved in relation to this change of policy. I did sign two contracts and fulfilled my duty for my country in some places overseas on the front line, and in return they fundamentally adjust a program that was held in great regard as my reason for joining, but then so were medical and dental programs, not to mention a paycheck. Can any person on this forum explain the changes in any way, and help us to understand it?
I can understand also that there is an outflux of reg force NCM members that have served for their first or second BE and this may serve to prevent that flow, and help to retain members that are needed, but I wonder, has anyone in charge of program decision realized that this change may only strengthen their resolve to release? My opinion only. :salute:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 12:31:45 by chikn suckr »

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery Forum Moderator
Re: Shedding some light on the CF reimbursement for education program
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2005, 16:41:07 »
Buddy, I feel your pain.  The loss of the $1000 per year personal enhancement program (PEP) was a kick in the nuts for all of us. I say that as I embark upon my MBA program this fall with a cost of 20K.  The CF will only pay for approximately $8K and I'll foot the bill for the rest of it and once I complete it the CF will suck the knowledge/skills out of me for the rest of my career.

Having said that, my understanding is the PEP program was not approved by Treasury Board and the CF had no authority to provide it in the first place.  I think many would call it a very lucrative program for those retiring.  The new program focuses more on getting officers their degree (a job requirement) as well as assisting those who don't require a degree to get theirs.

See CDA website:

http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/er/engraph/er/er_e.asp

Cheers,
Had a wonderful ~26 years in the military and still miss it.

chikn suckr

Re: ATTN. All Reg. Force NCM! Education reimbursement changes
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2005, 13:33:48 »
I think we should ALL be feeling a bit of pain over this. However, if the PEP was not ever approved then it should not have been in use or offered to all members upon their release? Last year the politicians could not do enough for us, then as they are stating to the public that we are getting our tax money back for tours, they are at the same time pulling it out of our pockets in a veiled way. This certainly surpasses the pay raise scams in the past (and surely the future), when all cost of living on a base goes up according to our percentage of raise and sometimes exceeds it. As for the program seeming lucrative to 20 year members, I don't know what you think, but what does a 38-40 year old retiring member have to look forward to after a career in the combat arms? I am sure there are many members of this forum that may enlighten me, but, the pension is difficult to survive on for a single person, much less a retiree with possesions and a family to provide for. Of course, most plan for this, and consider those who dont right out of 'er. There were a lot of jokes floating around about the retired Sgt. Majors giving orders to their fellow commissionaire, and I'm sure their will be a few more in the years to come, thanks to the current system. I suppose if we can't beat 'em, join 'em, if we wish a higher education, go to university and acquire a commission, or is that what we are being told to do?? The attititude displayed by justifying the changes without knowledge of their reason will only serve to ensure that we will experience more change of a similar nature in my opinion. Call this whining all you wish folks, I still think this sets a sad and unjust precedent.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2005, 20:50:03 »
wasnt the PEP a trial for four years and to be evaulated at the end of that time to see if it was feasible to continue with.  I maybe wrong but i remember something like that when it first came out.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2005, 22:07:43 »
That sure is a kick in the nuts.   I was so impressed when I did my SCAN seminar in Oct and heard all the benifits I would be entitled to and even planned to go back to 'School' after twenty-five years.   Now I am told by some I am not entitled to anything, and then in this thread up to $5000, a fraction of what was originally 'promised'.

I am told that Serving Members are also limited in what they apply for, in that it must be a course that will benifit the CF and is relevant to their careers; which doesn't leave much for Cbt Arms types.

Another kicker, now that they have announced this, screwing the Reg Force Members; they go and offer Education Reimbursements to the Reserves.   Why does a CF Member, after ten years service, get no benifit, while a Reservist with one year in can make a claim?   I must be missing something here.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2005, 22:39:36 »
I am told that Serving Members are also limited in what they apply for, in that it must be a course that will benifit the CF and is relevant to their careers; which doesn't leave much for Cbt Arms types.

Not exactly true anything towards your first undergrad degree is 100% reimbursible as a Reg Force NCM.  My degree has very liitle to do with my job... 
Hope is not a valid COA