Author Topic: Comm Research  (Read 156394 times)

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
Re: Comm Research
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 17:53:45 »
Quick question, anyone in Kingston know if the QL3 part 2 scheduled for August is happening? I know the last one was canned due to not having enough people with clearances available.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:00 »
As of today, the Army course calender still has these 4 courses listed as still continuing:

04-Aug-09   29-Oct-09
08-Sep-09   03-Dec-09
11-Jan-10   07-Apr-10
15-Feb-10   11-May-10

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:45 »
Thanks Puck, I'm on parental at the moment so don't have access to the DIN. I guess they'll update the calendar after the course date to write if it happend or not. Looks like I might be spending Christmas and hopefully be on one of the two courses after new year's.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 00:05:21 »
An update, I got a posting message out of the blue in my email. It was sent to the wrong place so it took my unit by surprise. It's a good thing I come in to check my email from time to time on parental.

Is it normal practice to be posted to Kingston for the part 1 month and a half course and then sit and twiddle your fingers waiting for next part? It seems like someone decided to save some money on TD and R&Q to make my family move an extra time before I finish the QL3 and move to Ottawa. I got Level 3 clearance so I won't have to sit around a year and a half waiting for a clearance, which makes this posting more of a mystery. I don't understand why I can't go on TD for the part 1 of the course, come back to the unit where I have gainful employment and not sit on my bum in PAT and then come back when there's a part 2 taking place.

Sorry for the rant but it just boggles the mind.

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 01:00:56 »
I'd love to know if I am on part 1 anytime soon, or if I even need to take it.

I've never encountered a simple question that the CF couldn't complicate.

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 21:15:20 »
As of today, the Army course calender still has these 4 courses listed as still continuing:

04-Aug-09   29-Oct-09
08-Sep-09   03-Dec-09
11-Jan-10   07-Apr-10
15-Feb-10   11-May-10

I'm completing my BMQ on Oct 23rd 2009, based on the list you posted, is the next course in December or January?
(The course isn't 3 months... what's the date on the right?)

Offline Ice97

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 16:04:03 »
Based on the date's I believe those are for the Comm Rsch Phase 2....which is about 60 training days.  Still have the Phase 1 to do before it
"We can't stop here....this is bat country"

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 20:30:22 »

There is another batch of students in the hopper shopping for EWAT jobs now, would anyone care to share any advice, tips, or experiences of EWAT between part 1 and 2?

Personally I am looking for a position at a Res Comm unit, as I used to be a Sig Op, I also have PLQ and a tour.

I would gladly go back to Afghanistan once more as a Sig Op while I wait, though I am told its not possible.

aesop081

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 21:29:31 »
though I am told its not possible.

Understandable considering that you are no longer a Sig Op.

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 21:39:27 »
Understandable considering that you are no longer a Sig Op.

On the surface it makes sense, but its strange considering I instructed a Sig Op QL3 course after I ceased to be a Sig Op!

Offline Ice97

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 03:38:15 »
There is another batch of students in the hopper shopping for EWAT jobs now, would anyone care to share any advice, tips, or experiences of EWAT between part 1 and 2?

Personally I am looking for a position at a Res Comm unit, as I used to be a Sig Op, I also have PLQ and a tour.

I would gladly go back to Afghanistan once more as a Sig Op while I wait, though I am told its not possible.

They won't send you on tour while awaiting a Security Clearance to go on your Phase 2.  Definately wont send you as a Sig Op....makes no sense since you clearly aren't a Sig Op anymore.

As for EWAT....they have different things.  SLT, 2 EW.  I worked at the C & E Museum for 1 year.  If you want to be EWAT'd to maybe a recruitment centre or unit in your home town....you can do that.  But they'll tell you to set it up yourself....and at no cost to the Crown
"We can't stop here....this is bat country"

Offline gelan

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 16:34:15 »
Hey GDawg, 2EW is a fantastic place to be posted between phase 1 & 2, you can actually be employed somewhere your skill set can be used. Me? I used to be a Tool and Die Maker's assistant before I joined the forces, so I'm being employed in the Maintenance section. Since you were a Sig Op, you have an opportunity to be used with our sigs section/troop. If you can, don't sit around CFSCE's pat platoon, I hear it's a nightmare over there. Get to the dub, where you can actually learn about the trade.
Pro Patria / Blackjack!

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 16:57:13 »
Does anyone know if the part 2 courses in jan or feb are going to happen? I'm getting no info passed on to me as I am sitting on the BTL on a base not far away from Kingston. I got my TS and even a TD message from Borden but no course message. I asked my chain about special access but I've been told Kingston will take care of it. There isn't much time left before everyone's gone on leave and it's impossible to get any sort of information.

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 17:25:18 »
Hey GDawg, 2EW is a fantastic place to be posted between phase 1 & 2, you can actually be employed somewhere your skill set can be used. Me? I used to be a Tool and Die Maker's assistant before I joined the forces, so I'm being employed in the Maintenance section. Since you were a Sig Op, you have an opportunity to be used with our sigs section/troop. If you can, don't sit around CFSCE's pat platoon, I hear it's a nightmare over there. Get to the dub, where you can actually learn about the trade.

I'm working on it, its not my call though, and yes, PAT is a nightmare. I wish the Commandant knew about it...

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 18:33:37 »
Does anyone know if the part 2 courses in jan or feb are going to happen? I'm getting no info passed on to me as I am sitting on the BTL on a base not far away from Kingston. I got my TS and even a TD message from Borden but no course message. I asked my chain about special access but I've been told Kingston will take care of it. There isn't much time left before everyone's gone on leave and it's impossible to get any sort of information.

A friend of mine was tentative loaded for that course, but there is only 8-9 candidates ready for training, so the serials are moving right to hopefully catch more with a clearance.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 18:46:03 »
Puck, is that confirmed that the course won't be happening? I'm guessing the feb one will be zero loaded too since the two courses are only a month apart and I doubt they'll be able to get the clearances within a month. Should I be planning for the May course?

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 10:18:51 »
Any of you guys know if there will be a course phase 1 (just out of BMQ) in January? or is it in 2011?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:43 »
There`s a Phase 1 scheduled for 11 Jan 10, now will they have enough people to run is a different story. The october phase 1 course was zero loaded probably due to not having enough candidates.

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:41 »
Would you happen to know how many candidates are required and if they are every 3 months or yearly?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 10:34:53 »
Minimum is 16, at least that`s what the CFSCE course calendar states. Course after January is in March so it looks like they run 4 serials a year.

Offline chevalnoir

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 10:59:48 »
If you're still on BMQ, I wouldn't worry too much about when the next phase 1 course starts. You'll have to do your BMQ(land) - what used to be called SQ - before they will course load you on your phase 1 anyhow. At least this week. Requirements seem to change in random ways at random times.

Ditto for course dates,  they're subject to change right up until the start date, and in at least one case, several days after the start date.

None of which matters, because you'll be sitting around for a year or two or three waiting for your security clearance anyhow. More than enough  time  to fit in all your required courses.

Start cultivating patience now, you'll need it.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 14:02:08 »
A quick update on Part 2, it looks like the Jan course is zero loaded, going off the CFSCE calendar. I`ll venture a guess that the same thing will happen to the February course as well.

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 22:15:58 »
Gawd, I'm really starting to wonder if I made the right choice... I love the fact that I'll be doing SQ and possibly naval training in the future, but is Comm Rsch worth the wait (courses+security clearance)?

I keep hearing it's a great job, but how can my career make any progress if I'll be waiting years to complete my QL3?!

Anyone can enlighten me on this, what is there to do when you wait for your trade school? (I know it's unit's decision for most options, but any personal experiences?)

P.S.: Comm Rsch wasn't in my choices, was my last choice because of my vision (V4) and in the navy element. (Thus this reflection)

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 22:28:34 »
A quick update on Part 2, it looks like the Jan course is zero loaded, going off the CFSCE calendar. I`ll venture a guess that the same thing will happen to the February course as well.

...at least we're not sig ops any more!

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 10:44:27 »
Amen to that GDawg.

To freakerz, I understand how you feel as myself and probably most of the guys who are waiting for the part 2 are feeling exactly the same. Stuck in the grey area where there is no information on when you will be on course or even when your clearance will come in. Me and GD already got our level 3 but we're waiting for our SA right now, I think GD has been waiting for his since October and mine got submitted just this month due to being in a black hole of CFSCE admin. What's also frustrating is not knowing when you'll be on course even when you get your clearance. They keep zero loading part 2s, at this rate they might run one or two this year again. So even if you  got your clearance, you might be waiting half a year to get on course. I am lucky than most as I got to stay with my unit because I was an OT and I'm basically doing the same jobs before, and will be here until I get on course.

I have a buddy in Ottawa and I hear the same thing, that it's worth the wait and it's a great trade. I know he'll never lie to me about things like that so that is why I am still waiting. The only thing I can recommend to you is to get an ILP and take some college/university courses or some OPME courses. This will keep you busy, get you extra points on a PER later on.