Author Topic: Comm Research  (Read 161354 times)

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
Re: Comm Research
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2009, 12:43:52 »
Gawd, I'm really starting to wonder if I made the right choice... I love the fact that I'll be doing SQ and possibly naval training in the future, but is Comm Rsch worth the wait (courses+security clearance)?

I keep hearing it's a great job, but how can my career make any progress if I'll be waiting years to complete my QL3?!

Anyone can enlighten me on this, what is there to do when you wait for your trade school? (I know it's unit's decision for most options, but any personal experiences?)

P.S.: Comm Rsch wasn't in my choices, was my last choice because of my vision (V4) and in the navy element. (Thus this reflection)

You'll do BMQ-L (what used to be called SQ), and getting on the QL3 part I is a sure thing. During the QL3 part I you will submit your security clearance paperwork and then the waiting game for part II begins. Things get a bit depressing at that point as you will be in the CFSCE PAT Pl. Things are getting better, CFSCE is starting to re-realize that Comm Rsch PATs are different from the other PATs. There will be general duties tasks around CFB Kingston to keep you busy, and hopefully you'll land a "long term" tasking to keep you busy while you wait for a course.

Its a shame that the system is so bunged up, but its a good trade and if you can keep a positive attitude you can do some self improvement while at CFSCE, like meni0n said.

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 13:30:35 »
The only thing I can recommend to you is to get an ILP and take some college/university courses or some OPME courses. This will keep you busy, get you extra points on a PER later on.

+1

This is really good advice to ANYONE that has some time to kill.

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2009, 14:11:02 »
psssst...sorry guys, quick hi-jack here.  Does anyone know which OPME courses count as full university credits?   Just starting to really consider the UTPNCM.
  Thanks  :cdn:
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2009, 14:43:03 »
psssst...sorry guys, quick hi-jack here.  Does anyone know which OPME courses count as full university credits?   Just starting to really consider the UTPNCM.
  Thanks  :cdn:

Intro to Defense Management & Intro to Mil Law do not count.  The rest are good to go.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2009, 14:51:48 »
Great..thanks guys :christmas happy:
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2009, 22:37:07 »
Yeah, I guess I would have time and money to do a university degree (one-two course at a time) ...

So the security clearance they made me fill on week X of BMQ for "top secret" clearance is not being processed yet, they took prints and references NOW, but I'll have to submit new ones in Kingston?  :-X (lady told me it would get processed "right away" ... lol)

Offline Jammer

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2009, 23:15:51 »
Your MOSID is wrong. There is no "0"291. It's 00120.
No one's clearance gets processed right away. Get yourself ready for a few months on PAT Platoon when you get to Kingston.
What could possibly go wrong?

Offline hotei

• Dirty Civvie
  • Rate Post
  • DirtyCivvie
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:36 »
Yeah, I guess I would have time and money to do a university degree (one-two course at a time) ...

So the security clearance they made me fill on week X of BMQ for "top secret" clearance is not being processed yet, they took prints and references NOW, but I'll have to submit new ones in Kingston?  :-X (lady told me it would get processed "right away" ... lol)

Frorm my experience (and I can only speak for mine), my paperwork that was filled out at St. Jean was sufficient, and was entered into the system while I was doing BMQ. That being said, every case may be different, and you will be given further information when you do your Phase I course.

Offline lutherd

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 13:00:05 »
I am currently in the training system at CFSCE,  I also did the apparent "top secret" clearance paper work in st jean. However I had to get another set of prints and photos done here. And it has now started the process
BMQ July 6th 2009.
Comm Research - Air
Vancouver Island BC

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:36 »
Has anyone seen the career manager's newsletter? It seems there are 201 untrained comm rsch awaiting clearances. Given that they run only 2 courses per year with 18 pers max per course, it would take 5 years to clear the backlog. Even if they did run the maximum amount of 4 courses per year, it would still take close to 3 years and that's without any new intake.

Although in the state of the trade, they are only short of about 30 pte/cpl. Is that one of the possible reasons why they are
not really doing anything about the clearance problem? The CM did mention that it's being addressed higher but where and
what is actually being done is a mystery.

Offline LoKe

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 11:35:38 »
As far as I know, CR is back to priority 1 for clearances.  I've noticed about 40 get pushed through in the last month and a half.  They're moving a lot faster than they used to be.

And yes, 201 is correct.  I saw the list about three weeks ago, but since then the number has dropped by 19-30.  The January course is full or nearly full, as far as I know.   If they do get enough cleared people, they'll probably just find a way to run more courses, or maybe more people per course.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 22:05:08 »
Loke, have you noticed which people are getting pushed thru? I've heard of people who have under a year in the military getting their clearance while there are still guys who have been waiting for more than two years that didn't get theirs yet.

Is there an actual list or is it being done randomly?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:10 »
Anyone in the know if the january and february courses are running and if they are full or not yet?

Offline BravoDelta

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 13:52:36 »
Good Day

I just heard thast the phase 2 has been bumped up to 6 months can anyone provide hearsay/info on this?...did they bring moris back again?

aesop081

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 23:13:40 »
did they bring moris back again?

Oh....you meant "Morse" code.........

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2010, 13:07:55 »
According to CFSCE calendar, part 2 just went from 53 to 84 training days with the next course running 10 Jan 11 to 13 May 11. That means they can run only three courses per fiscal year. The waiting time get qualified in this trade is extremely demoralizing.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2010, 13:11:51 »
Once your moral has been broken down, there is only one way but up.    :nod:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2010, 13:29:17 »
Beatings will continue until morale improves.   ;)

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:20 »
Morale will improve once the people responsible for the delays are beaten  :)

Offline Cadaren

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2010, 21:27:23 »
Anyone in the know if the january and february courses are running and if they are full or not yet?

Jan is full, no idea on Feb, though I doubt they'll run it.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 09:12:47 »
Feb is already crossed out of the calendar so next course is probably summer or fall. Hooray for that :-[

Offline L@V

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 11:30:50 »
 "from what i've heard morse is making a come back"

it is comming back, but not as part of the 3s...

its a 6 month course that will be given between ql3 phase 1 n 2

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 11:40:21 »
"from what i've heard morse is making a come back"

it is comming back, but not as part of the 3s...

its a 6 month course that will be given between ql3 phase 1 n 2

6 months?  Doing nothing but morse?

You rubberheads oughta be able to copy about 100 wpm after that...   ;D

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:31 »
What a great way to motivate the troops but with a six month morse code course eh.