Author Topic: Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ  (Read 49868 times)

Offline ArmouredAnger

• Rate Post
  • "Whither right and glory lead."
Re: BMOQ Training [MERGED]
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2018, 17:15:39 »
Hey guys I am almost done my application and am going reg forces. Right now I can walk long distances but probably couldn't run 2.5k or more.. I'm working on the running but I'm worried about pull-ups and push-ups or climbing walls. I am 240lbs right now standing 6'3 so obviously a lot of that is fat. A few years ago I hit the gym every 2nd day with strength and cardio training. I was able to cut down to 205 with some lean muscle.

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something. I don't mind being stressed out or struggling with things, I've been through a lot of crap psychologically I'm used to that. But I want to get in the best shape of my life and I want to start now. Not really in a position to get a gym membership right now, but I have a punching bag, a bench, kettle-bells and I'm also taking up some sword training again. I also have a bicycle. Working on nutrition as well.

Thanks for any help.
"Through the mud and the blood, to the green fields beyond!"

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2018, 17:28:21 »
What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=23364.0
26 pages.

Lots of good advice here,

Physical Training
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,75.0.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 17:55:49 by mariomike »

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2018, 18:39:07 »
Hey guys I am almost done my application and am going reg forces. Right now I can walk long distances but probably couldn't run 2.5k or more.. I'm working on the running but I'm worried about pull-ups and push-ups or climbing walls. I am 240lbs right now standing 6'3 so obviously a lot of that is fat. A few years ago I hit the gym every 2nd day with strength and cardio training. I was able to cut down to 205 with some lean muscle.

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something. I don't mind being stressed out or struggling with things, I've been through a lot of crap psychologically I'm used to that. But I want to get in the best shape of my life and I want to start now. Not really in a position to get a gym membership right now, but I have a punching bag, a bench, kettle-bells and I'm also taking up some sword training again. I also have a bicycle. Working on nutrition as well.

Thanks for any help.

Asking for help/advice is a good start, but be prepared for some hard truths you may be given, based on the info you’ve provided. There are several currently serving and retired members here who are very disheartened and frustrated by the lifestyles that many new hopefuls have decided to engage in—mainly not taking care of themselves and severely lacking in physical capability. They don’t hold back in sharing their opinions at times.

There is no shortage of posts in several threads around this site (and the net in general) about not only what physical level you should be for BMQ, but talking about where you should be in terms of basic physicality in general. If you’re thinking you might start course in July, getting in “the best shape of your life” between now and then is a tall order. By all means, do what you need to do and start doing it as soon as you finish reading this post. But if you work too hard too fast all you’re going to do is probably hurt yourself and then sabotage any work you’ve put in. Pushups, sit-ups, deadlifts, running. Focus on those. Sword-training (while it does sound cool) isn’t going to do much to prepare you.

If you can’t get a gym membership and are having trouble motivating yourself, find a buddy to go out for a run with. (While I do do things on my own, I’m more motivated and work harder when I’m with others who have the same goals. Some people are like that, and there’s nothing wrong with it. But you need to be aware of it and deal with yourself accordingly in order to reach your goals.) If you don’t have any friends/acquaintances who are into working out, and/or who are flakey when it comes to making plans to get together and run or something, then you’ll have to find the motivation yourself, join a running club, or find an inexpensive place to work out without all the bells & whistles—just a basic gym environment.

Overall body fitness is never a bad thing, and staying active, (even leisurely) as much as possible is important. But your main focus should be the 4 things I mentioned above. Yes, incorporate weights and work other parts of your body, but if you’re feeling overwhelmed focus on those. They’ll build up the essential areas you’ll need in order to be prepared.

Nutrition: my weight has been up and down my entire life. I know a thing or two about slimming down, getting lean and staying that way, as well as how easy it is to put weight on. One’s physique is largely dictated by what they’re consuming, period. Over-eating, eating out often, refined sugar and not eating enough natural protein sources, fresh fruits and vegetables (and other whole foods) will severely hinder any progress you’re trying to make when exercising.

Well, enough of the lecture. I’m sure you’ve heard most, if not all, of this before. Read the relevant threads, but not for too long. You need to start training. Judging by what you’ve said, hopefully it’ll be a bit longer before you get on course so you have more time to prepare properly and aren’t trying to do everything all at once at an unhealthy intensity. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 18:46:25 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 15:52:13 »
I think the best piece of advice I can offer is to NOT stress out over this.  If you stress out and try to do too much, you will just hurt yourself, which could seriously hamper your ability to pass or even start BMQ.  If you're already doing something now, you're actually ahead of many of the other candidates.  There will be folks who will show up at BMQ in absolutely terrible shape.  The best thing I think you can do is to get as much cardio in as you can, but don't get stupid about it.  Try to go for a run five times a week.  If you can do some weight training, great, but again, don't over do it.  Stick to the basics and go slow.  It took you many years to get to where you are now.  Give yourself some time to get back and most importantly of all, don't worry about your weight.  Weight is not necessarily an accurate or even useful indicator of fitness.  I'm 6'2", 280 lbs and 53 years old, but I can still get around a rugby pitch (albeit, not as fast as I used to).

Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline cld617

• Rate Post
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 17:41:27 »

Thanks for any help.

2 months prior to getting to BMQ is not the time to start running if you couldn't already finish a reasonable distance, so consider delaying any offer they make you. But....

Based on your size, I'd say that's one of the bigger reasons you're having issues running. You're certainly not huge for your height, but you're at a significant disadvantage to endure the stress of running with such a large frame. I'd suggest putting on a pack and focus on getting your heart rate up and doing some rucking. Shoot for around 70-75% of max heart rate and keep it there for 30-60 mins a few times a week. You'll build up your aerobic fitness as well as slowly accumulate mileage on your body which likely isn't used to taking a beating, you're going to have serious issues at that size if you go straight into running. Once you feel comfortable with that, then go out and set a goal of doing that 2.5k at even a light jog, with the goal being to finish AND feel ok at the end.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 17:44:09 by cld617 »

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2018, 01:24:06 »
I began what passes for my fitness regime pretty much the same day I made initial contact with the recruitment center. Since I used to run competitively back in Grade 8, my best time was 49.33. Given that I was literally half my age at the time, I'm more than happy to surpass it. As it stands, I currently run a mile in just over 6 minutes. While I have never been an aggressively athletic individual and I do continually seek to better myself, I've always been aware that I am not a fast runner in the traditional sense. What I am is someone who is much more suited to focusing on endurance, and thankfully in my experiences so far, this has made physical training much easier.

Since I walk more than 3K on a daily basis *without* doing anything more than daily tasks, the fact that I go out for a 5K run once a week and a 10K run once a month really isn't as much of a physical exertion as I apparently should believe it to be - I've always found that running is a great way to problem solve. Can't count the number of papers I got stuck on over my academic career which seemed to flow like water once I came back from a run.

No, I think my biggest problem when it comes to physical fitness is my diet - I've done tremendous work taming my sweet tooth and other guilty pleasures, but find it quite difficult to avoid certain bad habits - I love cooking, especially baking. I think you can see where this leads me into trouble. Thankfully, I'm careful to maintain a nutritional balance, but once you bake fresh cookies....

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:55 »
I began what passes for my fitness regime pretty much the same day I made initial contact with the recruitment center. Since I used to run competitively back in Grade 8, my best time was 49.33. Given that I was literally half my age at the time, I'm more than happy to surpass it. As it stands, I currently run a mile in just over 6 minutes. While I have never been an aggressively athletic individual and I do continually seek to better myself, I've always been aware that I am not a fast runner in the traditional sense. What I am is someone who is much more suited to focusing on endurance, and thankfully in my experiences so far, this has made physical training much easier.

Since I walk more than 3K on a daily basis *without* doing anything more than daily tasks, the fact that I go out for a 5K run once a week and a 10K run once a month really isn't as much of a physical exertion as I apparently should believe it to be - I've always found that running is a great way to problem solve. Can't count the number of papers I got stuck on over my academic career which seemed to flow like water once I came back from a run.

No, I think my biggest problem when it comes to physical fitness is my diet - I've done tremendous work taming my sweet tooth and other guilty pleasures, but find it quite difficult to avoid certain bad habits - I love cooking, especially baking. I think you can see where this leads me into trouble. Thankfully, I'm careful to maintain a nutritional balance, but once you bake fresh cookies....

Intermittrnt fasting is your friend.  I follow a 16:8 diet meaning I fast for 16 hours then get all my caloric intake during an 8 hour window.  I don't eat breakfast and I eat all my meals between noon and 8 at night.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2018, 12:31:17 »
Intermittrnt fasting is your friend.  I follow a 16:8 diet meaning I fast for 16 hours then get all my caloric intake during an 8 hour window.  I don't eat breakfast and I eat all my meals between noon and 8 at night.

I'm already doing that, though closer to an 18:6 pattern.

Offline Jelly_Bean

• Rate Post
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2018, 21:09:05 »
I've seen mention in some threads of BMQ training/gym classes at bases. Does anyone know if there is an option for this in the London or Hamilton area? I know there aren't bases but maybe at reserve or regular force detachments?