Author Topic: Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )  (Read 758617 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: 20m shuttle run in FORCE test?
« Reply #1050 on: December 15, 2015, 15:38:35 »
I know. The 20m rushes and the shuttle test are on my sheet from Vancouver recruiting center Hodor.

If you know, then why are you here asking questions?   ^-^

The shuttle test is the "intermittent loaded shuttles" or WTF the technical name is.  5 x with a sandbag (walking), 5 x without a sandbag (can run if you wish), total 10 shuttles.  You switch each time, 1 with, then 1 without.  It is possible to walk the entire portion of the test, and not worry about running out of time.

Videos are available on the link above MarioMike nicely put up there for you...

FWIW, the list provided to you didn't say "beep test", did it?   :subbies:
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: 20m shuttle run in FORCE test?
« Reply #1051 on: December 15, 2015, 17:32:44 »
I know. The 20m rushes and the shuttle test are on my sheet from Vancouver recruiting center Hodor.

You're going to have a great career, I can tell already. Good luck with the attitude, I'm sure it'll be worked out of you on DP1, if you make it that far.

Offline soccermom82

• Rate Post
I thought the beep test was retired from CFLRS and they used the sandbag relay now?
My package from recruiting says
Sandbag Drag
20m Rushes
And Shuttle run

I take it the sandbag relay is too easy?
The beep test isn't on the official scoring sheet. Its used to score the commandant flag against the sister platoon.

Offline AllSmiles

• Green around the ears... and everywhere else
  • Rate Post
 I understand I may have mixed my words up.
If you guys say its the FORCE test, I'll take your word for it.
I got frustrated because I know about the force test and the express test my issue is that is not what my package from recruiting says

It makes no mention of the sandbag relay thing included in the FORCE test and reads a heck of a lot more like the old beep test from the Expres.

I understand you guys are probably salty about answering the same questions over and over again.

I included a picture of the part that confused me.
No mention of dropping to prone
No mention of a sandbag on your shoulder

So yes, I do think it was a valid question.
I appologise for my rudeness, puckchaser you're right that attitude was uncalled for and juevenile. Please chalk it up to frustration and know I'm sincere when I say it won't happen again.

Recruiting Center: Vancouver
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: January 12, 2015 (Online)
First Contact: January 26, 2015 (Email)
Aptitude Completed : September 2005
TSD/PI: April 15, 2015
Interview Completed: August 20, 2015
Medical Completed: October 2015
Position Offered: November 12th 2015
Sworn In: December 1st 2015
Basic Training Begins: January 11th 2016

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
The FORCE test is the test you will need to pass for PT testing in the CAF unless you are in a trade that uses a different standard (Fire Fighter, SOF, SAR Tech, etc) but that will be down the road.  Prep for the FORCE test and don't let yourself 'just meet the minimum standard'; anyone who can only attain the minimum standards in the FORCE test won't likely survive the day to day grind at The Mega.   :2c:
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
(Fitness Test) Do you get second chance if you screw up the first try?
« Reply #1055 on: December 24, 2015, 20:40:09 »
If I screw up 1 part of the fitness, like If I slipped during the sandbag drag. Do I get a second chance to do it again? or I will fail automatically
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: (Fitness Test) Do you get second chance if you screw up the first try?
« Reply #1056 on: December 24, 2015, 21:29:45 »
If I screw up 1 part of the fitness, like If I slipped during the sandbag drag. Do I get a second chance to do it again? or I will fail automatically

Yes, 'technically' you fail automatically. All portions of the FORCE test must be completed within the allotted time and without error in order to pass successfully. A slip & fall during the sandbag drag would constitute error as at no time is the individual allowed to stop their steady flow of backwards movement during the drag.

However, on one of my platoons, recruits were given another chance for the drag portion. On the other, not. So it is NOT a guarantee.

Generally, if the recruit fails, he/she will be removed from platoon and sent to TRP (formerly Warrior Platoon) for additional physical training until they are able to pass.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #1057 on: December 24, 2015, 23:01:10 »
Yes, 'technically' you fail automatically. All portions of the FORCE test must be completed within the allotted time and without error in order to pass successfully. A slip & fall during the sandbag drag would constitute error as at no time is the individual allowed to stop their steady flow of backwards movement during the drag.

However, on one of my platoons, recruits were given another chance for the drag portion. On the other, not. So it is NOT a guarantee.

Generally, if the recruit fails, he/she will be removed from platoon and sent to TRP (formerly Warrior Platoon) for additional physical training until they are able to pass.

If I'm applying to the reserves, am I going to be send to TRP too?
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #1058 on: December 24, 2015, 23:15:47 »
By the book it is a fail, but the PSP staff at Kingston generally tell you to bring the bags back and start again. Loosing your balance and falling isn't really an indicator of fitness, unless you are falling because you can't physically start the stuff moving....), and the PSP staff have better things to do than re run you through an entire test because you slipped.

YMMV
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1059 on: December 24, 2015, 23:43:48 »
If I'm applying to the reserves, am I going to be send to TRP too?

RCAF PRes recruits do their BMQ in St. Jean. I've seen Navy and Army PRes there also, but I'm not sure about what stipulates weekend BMQ vs. the entire course at St. Jean. (Hopefully another user can fill you in on that piece.)

But some of the individual examples I've seen of PRes recruits flunking their FORCE test usually resulted in them returning to their PRes unit, since time on TRP can vary. There doesn't seem to be a standard. Again, hopefully someone with authority/first-hand experience can better inform you.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1060 on: December 24, 2015, 23:54:56 »
By the book it is a fail, but the PSP staff at Kingston generally tell you to bring the bags back and start again. Loosing your balance and falling isn't really an indicator of fitness, unless you are falling because you can't physically start the stuff moving....), and the PSP staff have better things to do than re run you through an entire test because you slipped.

YMMV

At CFLRS, it seems to be dependent upon the specific set of PSP staffers conducting the testing, or even an agreement between the platoon staff and PSP staff as to what will happen to the recruits who don't pass something for whatever reason. (Just as each platoon is run differently, i.e. more physically demanding, more punishment PT, etc than another, there are variances in the dynamic/intensity of PSP staffing as well) I've seen a perfectly athletic, lean individual be recoursed immediately to the next available platoon because he fell on the drag, but passed everything else easily--fitness was clearly not an issue. I've also seen an individual who just barely passed each component fall on the drag, some extra training definitely would've been beneficial, but they were able to try that specific part again.

:dunno:

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
« Reply #1061 on: December 25, 2015, 15:39:23 »
At CFLRS, it seems to be dependent upon the specific set of PSP staffers conducting the testing, or even an agreement between the platoon staff and PSP staff as to what will happen to the recruits who don't pass something for whatever reason. (Just as each platoon is run differently, i.e. more physically demanding, more punishment PT, etc than another, there are variances in the dynamic/intensity of PSP staffing as well) I've seen a perfectly athletic, lean individual be recoursed immediately to the next available platoon because he fell on the drag, but passed everything else easily--fitness was clearly not an issue. I've also seen an individual who just barely passed each component fall on the drag, some extra training definitely would've been beneficial, but they were able to try that specific part again.

:dunno:

During the FORCE fitness test when I was at CFLRS, if you fell during the drag they would let you restart, even if you failed the "Rushes" (If it was close to 51s) they would let you attempt the "Rushes" again, otherwise if you fail on the second attempt you will get another re-test in a couple days, which gives you a bit of time to attempt to prepare for it again. For example my platoon we had two people fail the "Rushes" (I being one of them), and 3 ladies who could not do the drag, we just prepped by PT as much as we could without tiring ourselves out even more. At the re-test all of us passed, but one person from our sister platoon didn't, and they were re-coursed.

Even with the Reserve unit I have an application with, I fell during the Sandbag drag (Got a little overzealous), the Master Cpl just told me to get up and try again.
Ready, Aye, Ready

Offline Ludoc

• Rate Post
The Force manual can be found here. It states:
Did not Meet Standard
26. CAF members who did not meet the Sandbag Drag standard due to slipping or falling
can re-attempt the evaluation a maximum of one time during their testing session, 
immediately after a five minute break.

Online Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

That's a novel approach - look it up in an official publication and get the correct answer, vice listening to people speculate based on what they THINK they saw on a course. You're going to go far kid.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
That's a novel approach - look it up in an official publication and get the correct answer, vice listening to people speculate based on what they THINK they saw on a course. You're going to go far kid.

As someone who has brought up dress regs, the CF leave policy manual and other policies to the chain of command, he really won't  ;)
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post

Thank you, Ludoc. I had stated in my post that I hoped someone better in the know could help out.

Et al:

As far as someone posting about what they "think" they saw on a course, I assume that was directed towards me. For clarification, I don't "think" I saw anything. In actuality, I was present for conversations and debate regarding the final outcome for the said recruit in each instance and witnessed each recruit's entire testing process in close proximity. It was not my place to indicate in great detail what was discussed and/or by whom. I merely gave examples.

As well, there are many who can attest to the fact that processes performed at CFLRS vice military-wide regarding several facets of policy are not adhered to on a strict and/or standard basis. I do not believe it is done maliciously or purposefully, but it indeed happens. The school continually strives to improve its level of instruction in all areas, but mistakes do happen. I simply share my experiences as I encounter them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 19:13:04 by BeyondTheNow »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

:goodpost:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:59:23 by mariomike »

Offline JoshPerson

• Rate Post
Physical test times.
« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2016, 00:38:46 »
At what point in the application/BMQ is the FORCE test and at what point are you tested for your pushups/situps/grip test.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Physical test times.
« Reply #1068 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:51 »
At what point in the application/BMQ is the FORCE test and at what point are you tested for your pushups/situps/grip test.

If you are applying for the Reserves, the FORCE Test is administered at the very beginning of the application process before you do anything else.  If you are applying for the Regular Force, the FORCE Test is administered the first week of your BMQ I believe.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline JoshPerson

• Rate Post
« Reply #1069 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:20 »
If you are applying for the Reserves, the FORCE Test is administered at the very beginning of the application process before you do anything else.  If you are applying for the Regular Force, the FORCE Test is administered the first week of your BMQ I believe.
Thank you.  All the other info is outdated that I searched for.  So do you ever have to do the oushup test and 2.4km run test?  Or just the end of BMQ tests?

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1070 on: January 11, 2016, 12:01:56 »
Thank you.  All the other info is outdated that I searched for.  So do you ever have to do the oushup test and 2.4km run test?  Or just the end of BMQ tests?

Pushups and running will be a full time activity at BMQ as it forms part of your fitness training, amongst other things.  Here is a link that will give you a basic guideline of what fitness level you should strive to be at prior to starting your BMQ.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab4

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Gunshark

• Rate Post
« Reply #1071 on: January 11, 2016, 12:12:44 »
For Reserve weekend BMQ, the FORCE test (sandbags) was done prior to enrolment. A run/situp/pushup test was done at 2nd or 3rd weekend, and the results were recorded. I heard it will be done again at the end of BMQ, to track improvement.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:42 »
If you are in the application phase, why is "Cpl" part of your username?

Offline JoshPerson

• Rate Post
« Reply #1073 on: January 11, 2016, 14:14:54 »
Yeah I understand it I was just wondering if there is anything during the applicantion and I see there isn't.

Offline Gunshark

• Rate Post
As was mentioned, the FORCE test IS part of the application, but for PRes only. I think it's more important to just keep yourself in good shape rather than worry which physical test comes when. Your physical abilities will be put to test in BMQ one way or another. It pays to be in good shape, trust me.