Author Topic: Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )  (Read 753669 times)

Offline erage

• Rate Post
Re: For those joining - New PT test rules at CFLRS
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 06:51:03 »
does this mean you cant pass the beep test, 2 of the strength and then fail like the handgrip and still move on? or do you still go to WFT?

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 08:46:29 »
does this mean you cant pass the beep test, 2 of the strength and then fail like the handgrip and still move on? or do you still go to WFT?

I believe the way it goes is this: You can fail one strength and still stay on platoon *IF* you meet the absolute minimum push-up requirements (2 for women, 4 for men). Failing that minimum = going home. Failing the shuttle run *or* 2 or more strengths = WFT (provided you have met that absolute min. for push-ups).

Clear as mud? ;)
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. ~ Malcolm X

Offline UK2CA

• Rate Post
  • Corps of RCEME
    • REME
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 18:27:34 »
Wow...big difference. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the U.S. has a much (much) larger population to draw from, and perhaps does not face the recruiting challenges of its Northern neighbour. Just a guess.

Not that I am advocating lax standards.  :P  Far from it.

I don't know what the reasons are but the CF minimum fitness standard does seem fairly low in comparison to other forces.  Here's the current standards for the British Army (as a Vehicle Tech) - in addition, there's also an annual 8 mile Combat Fitness Test (boot march) carrying 35lb (50lb for teeth arms), which has to be done in under 2 hrs:

'By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.' - Benjamin Franklin

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 18:44:10 »

I don't know what the reasons are but the CF minimum fitness standard does seem fairly low in comparison to other forces.  Here's the current standards for the British Army (as a Vehicle Tech) - in addition, there's also an annual 8 mile Combat Fitness Test (boot march) carrying 35lb (50lb for teeth arms), which has to be done in under 2 hrs:

And to me that looks very fair.Not difficult for all to achieve,but an excellent base for sure.I was working with the Brit's a while back,and one of the first things that was brought up was the size of some of our "lads".
I honestly have no clue where our fitness test was developed.Would be interesting to see.
I like that the Brit test factored in that women were only lacking in upper body strength,and the rest was the same.While I think one standard such as this should be the norm, I do agree that women tend to have a lower upper body strength,and more endurance.
Things are only going to get worse as time/fat pandemic continue on.

Offline Compliments

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 22:01:00 »
I believe the way it goes is this: You can fail one strength and still stay on platoon *IF* you meet the absolute minimum push-up requirements (2 for women, 4 for men). Failing that minimum = going home. Failing the shuttle run *or* 2 or more strengths = WFT (provided you have met that absolute min. for push-ups).

Clear as mud? ;)

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/index-eng.asp

According to this site :: In order to go on with the course, a minimum standard must be achieved: the candidate must successfully pass the shuttle run and two of the three muscular components. As well, women are required to do a minimum of two push-ups, while men are required to do four.

If the minimum standard is not achieved, the candidate may join a specialized fitness training program that is also offered at CFLRS. The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a maximum of 90 days.

---

But when asked the R/C they declined that. and said just mit the minimum threshold and there is no if ands or buts ur going to WTF instead of Platoon

so im confused..

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 22:18:13 »

But when asked the R/C they declined that. and said just mit the minimum threshold and there is no if ands or buts ur going to WTF instead of Platoon

so im confused..

I'll say you are. 

If you pass the minimum threshold you DO NOT go to WTF (or whatever it is called now).
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Compliments

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2009, 23:30:40 »
so if the person completes 6.0 on shuttle and 2/3 strenghts they proceed? but if they fail shuttle but get a 3.5 and 4 push ups they go to wtf- else they get released. Correct?

Offline traviss-g

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 00:37:59 »
As well I have heard (different answers from EVERY source I ask) about push up posture.  Yes the diagram is right on the form, but when we are pushing up and down must your elbows actually stay pointed straight backwards? They naturally point outwards for me. I did try to do them with my elbows tight against my sides and had much difficulty. I have no problem at all doing pushups with my elbows naturally where they sit. So question...is that unnatural way to do them what they will make us do?

Yea I have the same thing, can anyone answer this?
"The good die first"
  "The child is father of the man" -William Wordsworth
"Early to bed and early to rise, Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." -Benjamin Franklin
Non sum pisces

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2009, 00:45:14 »
Never had my elbows pointed back when I do mine.  After 9 years and numerous PT Tests (hmmm let's see.  19 PT Tests), I think they would have told me ;)

Offline Tulach Ard

• Rate Post
  • Basic from July to October
    • My Youtube page if you all want to SEE me=)
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:41 »
Never had my elbows pointed back when I do mine.  After 9 years and numerous PT Tests (hmmm let's see.  19 PT Tests), I think they would have told me ;)

Thats what I thought. Thanks Max!
Nosce te ipsum. - Know Thyself

Vis consili expers mole ruit sua. - Strength without wisdom falls under its own weight.

"Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever"

Offline Doomed

• No Title
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2009, 02:47:02 »
I don't know about the elbows for sure. But from what I take, I don't think its required. I mean, depending on the size of the arm will ultimately decide where your arms are at your side. i have pretty lanky arms and they are not exactly at my hip so to speak. because if i did my hands are infront of my chest. which means im doing close grip push ups... So I guess It changes?

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2009, 07:55:21 »
The PSP staff should demonstrate the proper position.  Basically, you will lay flat on the floor with your hands palm down, fingers forward under your shoulders.  They should be able to see part of your hand if standing directly over you.  You push fully up (up position) and come down until your arms are roughly parallel to the ground (down position).  It doesn’t matter where the elbows are pointing.  The staff will let you know if it counts or not, trust me.  As I've said before, some are not very forgiving.  Don't forget that the push ups are continuous, no pausing.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:21 »
so im confused..

Confused?? Translate it this way:

Me being a fictional member employed in the recruiting centre saying: "Just TRAIN to ensure that you can meet the minimum threshold (standard) for ALL of the items prior to getting to Saint Jean ... and then there'll be no ifs, ands, or buts about you going to RFT."

Understand now?

(And, anyone who has joined the CF and who does not train to meet the minimum in ALL of these items before reporting [they are well aware of the min standards] ... is an idiot).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:09:10 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline 4Feathers

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2009, 08:12:17 »
 ??? Many years ago a push-up was a push-up, now it's a science that requires years of schooling to perfect and administer. What ever happened to "give me 50" and you pumped them off with not much worry over form and technique so long as you went all the way up and down and kept your body flat. Perhaps we could make it an Olympic sport and give points for the "perfect technique". And now that I am on a "rant", what ever happened to chinups??
Every country has an army, their own or someone elses.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2009, 08:20:26 »
??? Many years ago a push-up was a push-up, now it's a science that requires years of schooling to perfect and administer. What ever happened to "give me 50" and you pumped them off with not much worry over form and technique so long as you went all the way up and down and kept your body flat. Perhaps we could make it an Olympic sport and give points for the "perfect technique". And now that I am on a "rant", what ever happened to chinups??

Technique, technique, technique.  How many times have you witness someone doing pushups who looked like a dog humping a football, or whose belly never got off the floor?  You are right about the correct form, but so many can't even do that, let alone the pushups.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:32 »
I did the Expres Test last week. Next year I'll take it a bit more seriously. Nothing was an issue.
If a 19 year old CAN'T do 19 pushups...... :brickwall:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 09:17:36 »
Technique, technique, technique.  How many times have you witness someone doing pushups who looked like a dog humping a football, or whose belly never got off the floor?  You are right about the correct form, but so many can't even do that, let alone the pushups.

True about technique, but technique is in the 'eye of the beholder' (i.e. the PSP staff member counting them). I know many people who did more than the required number, but some of their push-ups didn't get counted and therefore they 'failed' the push-up portion. The same thing can happen with sit-ups. On my first test, PSP staff was concerned with the elbows touching the knees. On the second test, it was going all the way down, shoulders touching the mat, that was the issue. I did way more than I needed both times, but it is frustrating when they don't count push-ups and sit-ups that most non-PSP staff members would surely think are done in perfectly good form/technique.  :P
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. ~ Malcolm X

aesop081

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:56 »
but it is frustrating when they don't count push-ups and sit-ups that most non-PSP staff members would surely think are done in perfectly good form/technique.  :P

:crybaby:

It was no different back in the days where the test was administered by the PERIs.

Offline Celticgirl

• Rate Post
  • 413 Sqn OR Clk
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2009, 10:51:11 »
:crybaby:

Ah CA, that kind of empathy just warms my heart. You're a very special individual. ;)

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 11:08:53 »
If PSP didn't have some kind of technique to judge by, people would be doing push ups as described by George Wallace.

How many times have you witness someone doing pushups who looked like a dog humping a football, or whose belly never got off the floor?

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:39 »
Ah CA, that kind of empathy just warms my heart. You're a very special individual. ;)

Didn't you get punted off Basic?
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2009, 11:22:31 »
If PSP didn't have some kind of technique to judge by, people would be doing push ups as described by George Wallace.

Then there are the ones who look like they are stuck on a bascule bridge, with only their arse moving up and down...  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bascule_bridge

Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 11:34:07 »
Then there are the ones who look like they are stuck on a bascule bridge, with only their arse moving up and down...  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bascule_bridge

Hmmm.....I always thought that was a genetic procreation warmup......crap...how wrong I was.....(helluva time to find out these things after all this time....  ;D )
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Larkvall

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2009, 12:22:45 »
The best way to go about this is to be prepared to do more than the minimum so if some push ups or sit ups aren't counted you still will meet the standard. When I did my fitness test I had a couple push ups rejected but I still passed. I should probably video myself doing them so I know what I look like. Getting fit as possible is the best plan also because it reduces the chance of injury.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2009, 13:16:49 »
The best way to go about this is to be prepared to do more than the minimum so if some push ups or sit ups aren't counted you still will meet the standard.

Thats good, simple advice.

I should probably video myself doing them so I know what I look like.

How about "no"?  :)  Or, if you do, please do NOT post a link here to yourself on Youtube :P

Getting fit as possible is the best plan also because it reduces the chance of injury.

More good simple advice. (it also aids in speeding up your recovery time, too)
[/quote]
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...