Author Topic: Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle - RG-31, LAV Coyote, and (partial) G-Wagon Replacement  (Read 383788 times)

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
LAV 6.0 RWS - Isn't that actually congruent with the 199 Bison that were removed from Militia Service to supply all the support vehicles that the Army didn't buy when they bought the Grizzlies, Cougars and Coyotes?

Cougars, Grizzleys and Huskeys were purchased in the late 70s for both Reg and militia use and divested in 2005.

Bisons were purchased in 1990 for militia use but fleet management changed that for Reg force use and militia use and are still in use.

Coyotes were purchased in 1996/7 for Reg force use only and will be divested in the near future.

They were all separate projects.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Cougars, Grizzleys and Huskeys were purchased in the late 70s for both Reg and militia use and divested in 2005.

Bisons were purchased in 1990 for militia use but fleet management changed that for Reg force use and militia use and are still in use.

Coyotes were purchased in 1996/7 for Reg force use only and will be divested in the near future.

They were all separate projects.

Regards

Seen

The Bisons were purchased as cheap people carriers for the Militia - and to keep London employed after they finished building LAV-25s for the USMC and the Saudi National Guard.

They were then utilized in exactly the support roles that the USMC had originally had them designed for when they purchased their original fleet.

My point was in support of McG's point - that the CA, CAF, DND, PSPC, TB and Uncle Tom Cobley and all do a pisspoor job of ensuring logistics and support when buying fleets.  Something with a big gun on it looks really impressive in front of the cameras.  Especially if it doesn't have to go very far.

And the Coyote looks an awful lot like a USMC/SANG LAV-25 with a periscope.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
And the Coyote looks an awful lot like a USMC/SANG LAV-25 with a periscope.

A Leopard 2A4M or a Leo 2A5 looks an awful lot like a Leo 2A6M to a layman.

They are about as different as a coyote and a LAV 25 are.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
The Bisons were purchased as cheap people carriers for the Militia - and to keep London employed after they finished building LAV-25s for the USMC and the Saudi National Guard.

Short read on some history...http://canadianmilitaryhistory.ca/the-canadian-army-and-the-procurement-of-the-bison-a-short-history-by-frank-maas/
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
So is that one of the 25 that were going to be held at each of the Area Training Centres or is that one of the vehicles that were never going to be allowed into Reserve hands?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I just chanced upon that article you have posted above, Colin.

I think its hilarious that one of the proposed "More Stories" at the bottom of the Global News article is tilted: "Those New Crossover SUVs Will Take Your Breath Away".
 ;D

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I saw some these in Vernon last week. Huge vehicle for what purpose?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman

TARGET!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post

For transportation... :D
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
There is at least one armoured regiment employing them as cavalry to attack, block, guard, and “any job a tank can do”.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
For transportation... :D

I'm guessing you could fit about four anorexics in there, so assume they would be meant as transportation for Gurkhas :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline .Fred

• Rate Post
Having just finished Maple resolve (veh tech), most of our work has been Tapv's. I think only 6 coyotes came in for 2nd line stuff and most came in because of poor operator maintenance and bad 1st line diagnostic.

Tapv's on the other hand.. Oh lord.

I hope we get rid of them quick.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Online MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

You're new here aren't ya ;)
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
There is at least one armoured regiment employing them as cavalry to attack, block, guard, and “any job a tank can do”.

For real?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
You're new here aren't ya ;)

Donate them to Mali...
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Having just finished Maple resolve (veh tech), most of our work has been Tapv's. I think only 6 coyotes came in for 2nd line stuff and most came in because of poor operator maintenance and bad 1st line diagnostic.

Tapv's on the other hand.. Oh lord.

Are you kidding? Think of the position power the TAPV has just handed the maintenance branches!  :nod:
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline .Fred

• Rate Post
Are you kidding? Think of the position power the TAPV has just handed the maintenance branches!  :nod:
Rceme always had a position over the maintenance, but the leadership isnt there.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Rceme always had a position over the maintenance, but the leadership isnt there.

I hardly think someone with less than 3 years of experience in the RCEME Corps can speak accurately on the Corps leadership or lack thereof.  I'll go to a just past OJT mechanic if my truck breaks because that is your lane and I value the work the techs do.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
For real?
For real.  I have even seen a TAPV based firebase for a BG deliberate attack.

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!

Somebody sure gets points for creativity. I will give them that.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Nothing like using a vehicle armed with weapons that have less range and stopping power than the vehicles they are supporting  :rofl:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Nothing like using a vehicle armed with weapons that have less range and stopping power than the vehicles they are supporting  :rofl:

As long as they're drawing fire away from the Infantry  :nod:

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Failing donating them to Mali you could always attach snow-plows/barricade breakers to them and turn them over to the local authorities.... just the thing for Toronto's emergency services.

Just follow Germany's example.

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline .Fred

• Rate Post
Unless you come in as a skilled tradesmen and bypass said ojt. But what do you know about it dear Log?
I hardly think someone with less than 3 years of experience in the RCEME Corps can speak accurately on the Corps leadership or lack thereof.  I'll go to a just past OJT mechanic if my truck breaks because that is your lane and I value the work the techs do.