Author Topic: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )  (Read 104291 times)

Offline Dombi

• Rate Post
Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )
« on: November 24, 2009, 22:10:15 »
Hi there,

I have applied in August for ACSO. Everything is going well. My medical is at Borden waiting for that doctor to sign my files. While waiting, my girlfriend begun to be scared about me joining in. I am looking for information that may reassure her. Anyone knows the average length of an ACSO mission ? Is it in days or months like in the navy ? How often do you have to leave your family to do missions ? She doesn't want to be alone half of the year (and I understand her point of view on that).

Do you have reasons or benefits for military wives/girlfriend to be happy with this decision ? I admit that I can't find many reasons for her to be enthusiastic about this new life.  :-\

Thank you for your help!

Dombi

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: ACSO and his wife
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 22:21:27 »
There is some discussion of ACSO in this thread. You may, or you may not, find it to be of interest.:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?topic=84427.msg818186#msg818186

Offline prima6

• Rate Post
Re: ACSO and his wife
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 17:17:36 »
It somewhat depends on what airframe you wind up flying on.  Maritime helicopter guys probably deploy the most on average, but it will also depend if you get other deployments (such as Afghanistan or a UN deployment) which you can get no matter what airframe you're on.  A buddy of mine on Sea Kings was away from home for more than a year in his first 2 years on squadron (14 months I think).  Guys who go SAR probably deploy less frequently and for much shorter periods of time.  Auroras are probably somewhere in the middle.   

Offline DSoup

• Rate Post
Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 21:24:10 »
Hi,

I'm in the ROTP program and just got told I was going on SOT this summer.  I'm going to Trenton, Shearwater and Greenwood and wanted to know what to expect on SOT.  Is there any flying time or is it mostly seeing squadron life.  What are the days on SOT like?  I read the CF website on the training but I'd like to know what someone who's done it thought of it.

Also when ACSO's do BANC and are on the grob, who's instructing?  Is it a pilot, since I'm pretty sure the grob is a 2 seater, one for the trainee and someone has to fly the plane....

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Re: ACSO Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 23:00:22 »
The flying instructor is flying and instructing during the low-level nav phase of the course.  They will all be Ph1 QFI's employed by Allied Wings.  If you are lucky, they might let you touch the stick.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline montana

• Rate Post
Re: ACSO Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 23:48:03 »
SOT is great you will get a lot of flying and drinking at every base.

Offline Amyrin

• Rate Post
ACSO: What's it like? (merged)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 23:36:27 »
Hi, new to the forums and just signed up to ask a quick question.

About a year ago I signed up at my local recruiting centre, and by the time all my medicals were in and everything was approved they ran out of open spots for my trades.  Those were artillery officer, and ACSO.  About a week ago, however, I got a call from my recruiter, who offered me my choice of either career path.  The problem is that I was under the assumption last year when I was going through selection that ACSO was an aircrew trade, and that I would have to go to the aircrew centre for training, which I have never done.  He assured me this was not necessary and only a process that was used for pilots.  So I accepted the offer for ACSO, and he told me my confirmation ceremony would be coming up this august 25th, and I would leave for St. Jean on September 4th.

I have been reading through these forums in the meantime, and it seems from what I am reading that I very much so skipped a step and I don't want to get a call a few months down the line saying that my offer is rescinded.  I'm currently up in a forestry camp in BC and unable to reach my recruiter in Calgary for another few weeks, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help enlighten me as to whether or not there was a mistake on the part of the recruiting centre, or if I'm just reading into things and being paranoid.

Thanks for your help and responses

Offline DexOlesa

• Rate Post
Re: Aircrew Training and ACSO
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 23:46:19 »
ACSO testing is 3 written tests. It is done at the aircrew testing center after all the pilot testing is done (as most people who fail pilot testing attempt ACSO) However ACSO testing can be done at the recruiting center as well. It does not HAVE to be done at aircrew, it just usually is.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 23:48:04 »
I'm currently up in a forestry camp in BC and unable to reach my recruiter in Calgary for another few weeks....
You posted here, so you have internet -- trust me, you do.

Calgary, although still clinging to the 20th-century, actually has internet and running water now.

Why not send the recruiter an email and ask?
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Amyrin

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 23:54:40 »
Thank you so much.  That definitely takes a lot off my chest.

For the second comment, I generally prefer to talk to recruiters in person instead of email, though I also wanted to get some information from people who have gone through the process and could shed some light on it, whereas the recruiting centre has told me two different things concerning the ACSO careerpath.

Offline Mellor

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 00:02:56 »

Calgary, although still clinging to the 20th-century, actually has internet and running water now.

Not sure where you are from, but in Calgary they have labor laws and offices usually aren't open until 10pm... they must be real slave drivers where you are from.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 00:07:08 »
Well that's another crazy thing about email; Amyrin could send it off now....or in an hour or two....and it would be sitting there, magically, for the recruiter to read in the morning.

Email is just no respecter of banker's hours  ;)
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Elwood

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:08 »
You don't do any aircrew training before going to basic. The only pre-requisite for the ACSO trade is passing the Nav written test.

Offline prmackay

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 14:37:02 »
ACSO testing is 3 written tests. It is done at the aircrew testing center after all the pilot testing is done (as most people who fail pilot testing attempt ACSO) However ACSO testing can be done at the recruiting center as well. It does not HAVE to be done at aircrew, it just usually is.

Can any recruiters confirm this?

Thank you.

aesop081

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 14:42:41 »
Can any recruiters confirm this?

Thank you.

ACSO-only applicants do not go to Trenton for aircrew selection !

Offline prmackay

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 14:51:23 »
Thank you for clarifying. I only asked because I just spoke with a recruiter and was given information stating otherwise.

Cheers.

aesop081

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 14:57:03 »
I'm going by my own ACS experience and from working with a bunch of ACSOs who never went there.

aesop081

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 14:59:40 »
ACSO-only applicants would be done by 1130am on day one of ACS..........would be a waste to send them there to do something that can be done anywhere else.

Offline prmackay

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 15:08:14 »
I agree. Thanks again for your help.

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
ACSO: What's it like? (merged)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 17:05:11 »
Hi, this is my first post. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of whatever it is happening at the moment.
I'm wondering how long of training would require to be able to join the ACSO?
What would you say the difficulty to be a ACSO comparing to enrolling into the Pilot?

Currently, I'm in my last stage of screening and will be joining the artillery reserve unit.
However, in 2012 after I graduate from university, regular force ASCO will be my path according my plan.
Would the skills in the reserve benefit myself when the selection in Airforce?

Thx for your time! :)

Offline posv3

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: ACSO
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 16:25:17 »
I think I can answer a few of your questions:

For training, have you checked out this? http://www.forces.ca/en/job/aircombatsystemsofficer-30#info-1

I'm not too sure about the difficulty compared to Pilot, but I'm pretty sure there's a test you have to complete along with the regular recruiting process.

I'm pretty sure benefits of the Reserves have been discussed quite frequently here... Have you tried a search? I recommend you do a search of the site with your other questions too, there will be answers from people with much more experience and knowledge than I.

Good luck  :)

Offline bouncer2004

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:08 »
As an ACSO student now I can say that post 2012, there are new courses for ACSOs, and it will last 7 months as current courses lasts an avg of 10-14 months

Difficulty: 2 different things.  Pilots flies and have their training, we learn to direct missions.  We fly as crew but DO NOT TOUCH any piloting controls.

As a previous MPO in reserves, your general knowledge on the Cf and its rules/admin/etc...will help but for going from land to aircrew trade they are very different...PM me for my email as it is easier to discuss there...good luck

Offline KRJB

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 23:44:26 »
So I passed the ACSO Tests today. The recruiter told me I have a very high chance of getting into ROTP now because it was my first choice and the failure rate is fairly high. Can anybody confirm/deny this? If my chances are increased, how many spots are available for ACSO applicants?

Thank You!

PS I thought I would put this in here, rather than starting a 4th ACSO thread.

Offline prima6

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 23:16:55 »
It's very difficult to say how many ACSO spots are open right now.  AFAIK, pilot is currently closed to most entry programs, but the number of people being recruited into trades does depend on entry programs (ROTP, DEO, CEOTP, etc).  The only ones that know for sure are the recruiting office and B/WPSOs (Personnel Selection Officers).

I would imagine there aren't too many ACSO slots open right now.  I know that there are people loaded on courses out to 2015, but I can't say for sure how full each of the courses is.

Offline jwtg

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:18 »
So I passed the ACSO Tests today. The recruiter told me I have a very high chance of getting into ROTP now because it was my first choice and the failure rate is fairly high. Can anybody confirm/deny this? If my chances are increased, how many spots are available for ACSO applicants?

I was told the exact same thing.  Kind of makes you wonder how many people they're saying that kind of thing to.