Author Topic: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )  (Read 102315 times)

Offline anjp

• Rate Post
Re: ACSO Testing Question.
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 07:41:34 »
The CAPSS guide (if you're going to Trenton).  Many times the pilot and ACSO trades are tested at the same time. If you're just writing the paper test at your own CFRC don't worry about any guide.

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:35 »
Would going into Private Jet Ground School help the test or even the application of being an ASCO?

Offline pudd13

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 16:39:36 »
It wouldn't harm you at all, but is by no means necessary, and many people might consider that overboard in regards to preparation for that ACSO test. But I guess if you want ACSO bad enough, no preparation is too much.

Offline BobSlob

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 17:26:00 »
Practice high school math, be familiar with how lat/longs work (base 60), familiarity with basic aircraft instruments and how to read them, and how to look up information in tables quickly.

That's all I can think of, it's not a hard test by any means, but it's not easy either.
Any other questions about the trade, shoot me a PM.

Offline Tuna

• Rate Post
ACSO duties
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 17:25:10 »
many have told me that If I become a pilot in the CF, I have a 25% chance of becoming Fastjet pilot, 25% chance of becoming a multi-engine pilot and 50% chance of being a rotorcraft pilot...these seem to be the stats that most will tell me , but what about the ACSO's what chances do they have of being in a sea king/cyclone? how about Hercules? or aurora? and what are the chances that one would be posted to an electronic warfare squadron? or fly a UAV?
"The only thing on earth smarter than a warrant officer is a senior officer" -WO Dygalo, 9th company of Russian infantry

Offline Dou You

• Rate Post
Re: ACSO Questions
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 14:28:20 »
Just a random question...

When on course at 1 CFFTS are you able to play on the competitive (regional/national) base hockey team given you may miss some games and practices for obvious reasons? Or does the fact that you are on course make you ineligible to play? On that note...dare I ask, is there even a base hockey team in Winnipeg?  ???  All I could find online was a team called the 402 Bears, but there is nothing to prove that this team is still going...
Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.   -   Muhammad Ali

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 14:50:30 »
Dou You,

It would be highly inadvisable for you to play higher level competitive sports while a student at 1 CFFTS.  Firstly, if you get hurt, you may well get recoursed or even face reclassification or release, if the injury is severe enough.   Secondly, it will be very unlikely that you will be given permission to attend regionals or nationals, as the course schedule comes first.  If you are given permission to go, training for your course mates also stops while you are gone- this obviously problematic. 

1CFFTS has faced very uncomfortable pressure in the past to allow students to attend CISM sports events.  To allow it, always impacts training delivery and course graduation dates.

Offline Dou You

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 15:12:31 »
Thank you for the quick and informative reply. Although I love playing competitive hockey, it isn't worth the risk like you mentioned.

I guess I will just have to live my hockey life vicariously through the players on the Winnipeg Jets...

Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.   -   Muhammad Ali

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 18:23:11 »
To add further amplification - this is very much true at all the FTS' around the CF.  As Course Director I would get the occasional CISM/team request - all of these I turned down.  When you are in training you should only have one thing on your mind - getting your Wings.  All else is secondary and thus not important.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline KRach

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 20:42:13 »
just out of curiousity, what kind of math exactly? trig, calc, functions? 

Rach :yellow:
sorry goose, but it's time to buzz the tower  

:jet:

Offline PapaJuliet

• Rate Post
ACSO
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 13:53:39 »
Can someone please fill me in with some background information on the ACSO trade??

On what basis do they select the type of aircraft you fly on?

Thanks for any help here.

Offline frank1515

• Rate Post
Re: ACSO
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 14:00:28 »
Who knew forces.gc.ca had some info!

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/aircombatsystemsofficer-30

Before anyone else tells you. Use the search function please.
*I have no military experience and I don't claim to have any. Anything posted by Frank1515 is from personal experiences with the recruiting process or my personal opinion. Please keep this in mind while reading my posts*

Offline Jimmy_D

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 14:01:27 »
Also you can go to Google, or the search bar on this site for that matter and put in ACSO and it will come up with some links that will help you out.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."      -       Winston Churchill

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 15:59:34 »
On what basis do they select the type of aircraft you fly on?

Needs of the CF, then your 3 preferences. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

aesop081

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 16:03:58 »
Needs of the CF,you suitability***................that day of the week...........what the career manager had for breakfast......the moon's phase.......... then your 3 preferences.

There, more in line with reality.

**In Dimsum's case, it took while to figure out. I mean, the guy gets posted to 2 different aircframes, qualifies on none, then goes to play with toy planes and gets to do it OUTCAN......wtf ??

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 16:13:48 »
**In Dimsum's case, it took while to figure out. I mean, the guy gets posted to 2 different aircframes, qualifies on none, then goes to play with toy planes and gets to do it OUTCAN......wtf ??

Are you STILL griping about that?   ;D
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

aesop081

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 16:15:17 »
Are you STILL griping about that?   ;D

Clearly  >:D

J/K..........i'm just jealous. But hey, i'm outta here this summer and going back !!

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 16:49:02 »
J/K..........i'm just jealous. But hey, i'm outta here this summer and going back !!

Yeah, Dimsum you got a pretty sweet deal!

So CDN_A am I reading that correctly?  Can I expect to see the new Pte's trembling with fear at the thought of your return?

aesop081

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 16:49:44 »

So CDN_A am I reading that correctly? 

You did.

Offline PapaJuliet

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 13:03:53 »
Are there any civilian-related trades that I could transfer my ACSO skills to?

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 17:10:38 »
No

aesop081

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 17:13:03 »
Are there any civilian-related trades that I could transfer my ACSO skills to?

There are related civilian job opportunities for retired ACSOs. They tend to be very specialized (such as those that run the CP-140 mission simulator).

seawolf

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 16:38:09 »
Hey,

How do they select ACSO's for 414 sqn?

Is it a course you can take to become a EWO? I assume that flying backseat in the Hawk you would have to have a little more piloting ability as I assume if **** goes south and the Pilot is not capable of flying you have a stick?

aesop081

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 16:47:05 »
I assume that flying backseat in the Hawk

They do  not fly Hawks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 16:51:12 by CDN Aviator »

seawolf

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 16:51:52 »
They do  not fly hawks.

Ok... sitting in the backseat of the Alpha Jet....sorry. Since it's a 2 seat airframe - I assume a little more knowledge is needed?