Author Topic: Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]  (Read 97992 times)

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 13:48:31 »
I think you've completely missed the point of the military justice system.  :facepalm:

Offline comicnut

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 13:54:48 »
Green Machine
Reprimand is not the only thing that can affect a CD, read previous posts.

Also every day you are AWOL will delay your CD date by 1 day.

Further, being charged AWOL is not a punishment it is a charge.

Your punishment, if it is other than a fine or minor in nature will still delay your CD eligibility by a year plus you won't be able to get it for 8 years. 
Still in your case, a caution, as a punishment won't affect your CD.
However your 1 day of AWOL should if your BOR is on the ball.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 14:08:20 by comicnut »

Offline GreenMarine

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 14:34:05 »
thanks there given that my OR is behind on CDs by almost a year I'm not concerned, I know in my head as to how long I've served my country.
Metalllic25th

"conciliatrix actuarius commilitium"

("She who unites fast sailing vessels for companionship in war.")

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2014, 14:19:23 »
thanks there given that my OR is behind on CDs by almost a year I'm not concerned, I know in my head as to how long I've served my country.

Sadly, its not your OR that is behind on CDs.  I think the delay, for what ever reason....I'm not judging or pointing fingers, is much higher then that.  I went down to submit the paperwork for my bar (yes, I know "the system" should pick up on it but it didn't) and it took almost 11 months to have it sent to my Unit for presentation.   I would have thought someone would have gone to the closet, picked up a box with a ribbon/bar/rosette in it, slapped a label on it and sent it down to us in a week or two but I guess it takes much longer then that.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2014, 16:41:41 »
Sadly, its not your OR that is behind on CDs.  I think the delay, for what ever reason....I'm not judging or pointing fingers, is much higher then that.  I went down to submit the paperwork for my bar (yes, I know "the system" should pick up on it but it didn't) and it took almost 11 months to have it sent to my Unit for presentation.   I would have thought someone would have gone to the closet, picked up a box with a ribbon/bar/rosette in it, slapped a label on it and sent it down to us in a week or two but I guess it takes much longer then that.

The CF is awesome at timely recognition of its pers.  ::)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2014, 16:54:40 »
I was due 1st bar in Nov '11.  I was presented it June 2013.

:prancing:
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 17:52:31 »
I was due 1st bar in Nov '11.  I was presented it June 2013.

:prancing:

This was my second bar so one would think that after 32 years in uniform I shouldn't be surprised that it took 34 years to have it recognized.  lol  I'm tempted to apply now for my third one in the event I'm still in by that time and haven't learned my lesson.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 19:19:45 »
*A well oiled machine*   ;D
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 20:04:08 »
What a joke the system can be...

Basically, if your punishment is a Caution, you shouldn't even be charged in the first place.
Your charge will also not appear on your conduct sheet.

I personally don't believe you should have been charged in the first place, unless this is a recurring thing on your part.

You can consider this "guilty" verdict a win.

Awarding a "Caution" allows the Presiding Officer to legally acknowledge and record that the member did indeed commit the offence without hammering him. Mitigating circumstances usually come into play for this to be awarded. It also means that if the member ends up being sentenced again over the next two years he can expect to face a harsher punishment. A Presiding Officer at subsequent sentencing will see the Conduct Sheet, and if someone got a Caution and ended up there again it will be fairly evident that he only responds to elevated punishments. As such, I find the Caution to be a very useful aspect of the military justice system. It is not a waste and it can serve to correct behaviour.

Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 15:38:06 »
Yep. We're short at both levels, NCMs and Offrs.

And there's also the apparent shortage of CDs, too.

What? Now you have to wait more than three years after qualifying to get one?
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 16:57:07 »
What? Now you have to wait more than three years after qualifying to get one?

Dammit - I'm just coming up on 2 years post-qualification. 

How does one manage to run out of CDs though?  It's not like they (the system) don't know when people become qualified for it, and you don't need multiple copies (or different sizes).

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 19:38:10 »
Dammit - I'm just coming up on 2 years post-qualification. 

How does one manage to run out of CDs though?  It's not like they (the system) don't know when people become qualified for it, and you don't need multiple copies (or different sizes).

The thought came to mind that perhaps that may be how they funded a small quantity of Jubilee medals......  >:D  .......Robbing Peter to pay Paul. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NeverDismount

• Rate Post
  • Never Ask an Officer for Directions
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2014, 22:36:45 »
The thought came to mind that perhaps that may be how they funded a small quantity of Jubilee medals......  >:D  .......Robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Its the Supply Chain in Action! :facepalm:

It would be interesting to know where the issue is. Demand for the CD should be fairly easy to determine (Max Number of recipients + a fudge Factor) so It would seem that the issue is either on the manufacturer's side, or our own supply system.
Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2014, 22:52:56 »
Budget cuts?

Since not everyone wears their medals at the same time, you will now have to share them. Each unit will be responsible to schedule who gets the medal on which day.

Also look for the upcoming CANFORGEN covering sharing of boots and underware.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 23:04:40 »
That would work in theory but each CD is engraved with the members name and rank though......
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 23:13:55 »
It's also part of the new security policy. Anyone who shows up in full kit is obviously a Walt.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 23:17:56 »
Its the Supply Chain in Action! :facepalm:

It would be interesting to know where the issue is. Demand for the CD should be fairly easy to determine (Max Number of recipients + a fudge Factor) so It would seem that the issue is either on the manufacturer's side, or our own supply system.

Or the responsible office never ordered in time.  The supply system for all its weaknesses at the end of the can only order what it is asked to order.  Sup techs don't just write up purchase reqs and LPO doesn't go out and enter into contracts without direction (SOW, SOR, 2227) and permission (Sec 32) from the end users.  I don't know what the issue is but there are a lot of cogs including the CFSS that can delay or hinder a desired item from reaching its intended audience in a timely manner.  Often it is the end user's lack of knowledge of how low and mid level procurement works and the timelines involved.  That the end user doesn't know is a failure of Supply organizations everywhere in giving guidance to their supported unit(s), although in some cases you just can't get through to everyone.

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2014, 00:02:05 »
Its been all over the news lately that there is a chocolate shortage anticipated so it could be they are trying to source a suitable alterantive filling before they mint more.  Hey, thats an idea...mint filling.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2014, 07:10:33 »
That would work in theory but each CD is engraved with the members name and rank though......
I know just engrave the rank then they can be shuffled with in that rank.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:11 »
Its been all over the news lately that there is a chocolate shortage anticipated

Caused, in part, by the issuing of the QDJM?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2014, 08:32:41 »
I know just engrave the rank then they can be shuffled with in that rank.

That would solve the problem of freezing Promotions at the twelve year mark.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2014, 08:59:47 »
Or the responsible office never ordered in time.  The supply system for all its weaknesses at the end of the can only order what it is asked to order.  Sup techs don't just write up purchase reqs and LPO doesn't go out and enter into contracts without direction (SOW, SOR, 2227) and permission (Sec 32) from the end users.  I don't know what the issue is but there are a lot of cogs including the CFSS that can delay or hinder a desired item from reaching its intended audience in a timely manner.  Often it is the end user's lack of knowledge of how low and mid level procurement works and the timelines involved.  That the end user doesn't know is a failure of Supply organizations everywhere in giving guidance to their supported unit(s), although in some cases you just can't get through to everyone.

The end user should only have to request and approve an effect.  The rest should be transparent.  Just like a unit requesting air support request an effect (I want to move X pers and Y pallets from A to B on this date), they don't know (and rightfully shouldn't have to) all the steps involved in the background that make it happen.

This CD issue is one that really puzzle me.  At worst, there is a 10-year heads up on the next medal yet, they are handed out 2-3 years later than they shoukd....

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:59 »

This CD issue is one that really puzzle me.  At worst, there is a 10-year heads up on the next medal yet, they are handed out 2-3 years later than they shoukd....

Actually, no.  Not everyone will go to the twelve year mark.  Many leave the CAF between three and eight year marks.  Having a medal stamped ten years in advance and then having to remove engraving or completely reproduce medal is an even bigger waste.  I would think that at the most, they would have a maximum of two year lead time on the production of a CD for presentation.  After a person has reached the twelve year mark, their next presentations will be much simpler, and should face no delays as it is only a ribbon with rosette and a bar for the mounted medal (not an actual presentation of a second/third/fourth CD).  That is where the two to three year delays are really unacceptable.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:39 »
Actually, no.  Not everyone will go to the twelve year mark.  Many leave the CAF between three and eight year marks.  Having a medal stamped ten years in advance and then having to remove engraving or completely reproduce medal is an even bigger waste.  I would think that at the most, they would have a maximum of two year lead time on the production of a CD for presentation.  After a person has reached the twelve year mark, their next presentations will be much simpler, and should face no delays as it is only a ribbon with rosette and a bar for the mounted medal (not an actual presentation of a second/third/fourth CD).  That is where the two to three year delays are really unacceptable.

I am not saying that the decorations should be ready when you join but rather making the point that there should be no surprise that a member is entitled to a CD at the 12 year mark...  It should (and could easily) be an automatic process where information from People Soft is fed directly to whoever orders the medals on a monthly basis however many months ahead of time (as required by the supply system) so the CD is awarded ideally within a month of the due date or at least within a year...

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:13 »
Except the CD isn't automatic for everyone. Peoplesoft doesn't link with your discipinary record as far as I'm aware.