Author Topic: NCM Prgression  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Halu

• Rate Post
NCM Prgression
« on: April 18, 2010, 21:32:23 »
How long does it take from OS to AS, AS to LS and LS to MS
how many years does it usually take to petty officer 2nd class

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: NCM Prgression
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 21:36:57 »
How long does it take from OS to AS, AS to LS and LS to MS
how many years does it usually take to petty officer 2nd class

There are technically "ideal" timelines for one to be in each rank and have achieved the required courses and qualifications to be promoted to the next rank.  That being said, there are no timelines.  You could find yourself a OS for twenty years, or progress through all the ranks to CPO2 in twenty years.  It will depend on what Trade you are in, and how bright and ambitious you are, as well as how your superiors write you up in your PERs.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

aesop081

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 21:38:01 »
There is no answer.......everyone's career progression will be different. Some people will serve 25 years and never make it beyond their current rank.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:44:04 »
But for some ranks, you must be at that rank for a certain period of time before being eligible to be promoted.  For example:  MCpl to Sgt - 2 years, Sgt to WO, 3 years.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:09:21 »
But for some ranks, you must be at that rank for a certain period of time before being eligible to be promoted.  For example:  MCpl to Sgt - 2 years, Sgt to WO, 3 years.

That would fall into the "ideal" timelines that I mentioned.  We all know that those really don't exist.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Halu

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 23:59:11 »
Then what is the IDEAL timeline for each rank ???

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 00:08:12 »
Then what is the IDEAL timeline for each rank ???

OS to AB (not AS...AB is the proper abbreviation for Able Seaman) is an automatic promotion at 30 months service, assuming you meet the prerequisites for promotion.

AB to LS is an automatic promotion at 48 months service, assuming you meet the prerequisites for promotion.

LS to MS is a promotion entirely based on merit.  Your performance as a LS is evaluated along with your potential to perform at the MS rank, and if you are ranked high enough in relation to your peers, you are promoted if there are vacant positions at that rank.  You require two years in rank as a LS in order to be promoted to MS.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:44:50 »
This was info I had put in another forum a while back. It applies specifically to a trade with Spec 1 (at LS level) and Spec 2 (at the PO2 level) but is a pretty good guide for timings for most Naval trades if you keep your nose clean. Contrary to what many seem to be saying here, because of attrition, timings for promotion are not too bad right now. I just started a group of Mar Eng QL6 students and most have 10-14 years in.
AB - 24 months
LS - 48 months
LS Tech - 6 years
MS - 6-8 years
PO2 - 8-10 years
PO2 Art - 10-12 years
PO1 - 13 years
CPO2 - 15 years
Bottom line, if you make CPO2 in 20 or less, you are doing quite well. Realistically, 22-25. There will always be 'stalls' in your career (coursing, MATA/PATA etc) as well.
Good Luck!
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:47 »
MS is an appointment, not a rank.

In theory, it requries completion of PLQ prior to appointment; in practice, anyone and his dog are being appointed MS/MCpl lacking the course. 

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:50 »
MS is an appointment, not a rank.

In theory, it requries completion of PLQ prior to appointment; in practice, anyone and his dog are being appointed MS/MCpl lacking the course.

And it really shows.    :-[

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 13:02:28 »
And it really shows.    :-[

Excuse me but I am one of those "anyone and their dogs" and I would appreciate knowing how you think it shows.

Their are compelling arguments that "Leadership Courses" have minimal effects on improving ones leadership abilities. How exactly one is "taught" to be leader is beyond me.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 13:05:48 »
Halifax Tar, I tend to agree with you.  My PLQ taught me how not to be a leader and gave me some lessons regarding teaching, O Gps, small party taskings and that's about it.  It's all in the calibre of the students and the instructors.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 13:41:37 by PMedMoe »
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 13:16:26 »
For all:
I have heard now for 28 years that Master Corporal/Seaman is an appointment and not a rank but you know what-It is treated in the workplace as a 'rank', it is worn as a 'rank' and is grouped for PER purposes as a 'rank', so guess what!!?..and a tomato is a fruit! I think you are all missing the point of the original poster/ee.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 13:55:21 »
For all:
I have heard now for 28 years that Master Corporal/Seaman is an appointment and not a rank but you know what-It is treated in the workplace as a 'rank', it is worn as a 'rank' and is grouped for PER purposes as a 'rank', so guess what!!?..and a tomato is a fruit! I think you are all missing the point of the original poster/ee.

You took the words right out of my mouth.   :)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 14:03:12 »
Excuse me but I am one of those "anyone and their dogs" and I would appreciate knowing how you think it shows.

Your there    ;D  Ok cheap shot and only kidding as I have no idea what you are like at work.

In some trades it does show - RMS is promoting many acting lacking and you can usually pick them out. They often have little idea of what they are doing as a supervisor.  As a result there are 2 sits that happen - the staff walks over them or they over compensate and run the place like their own little empire, ignoring their staffs concerns.  I know this happens anyways but it happens more with the acting lacking than those that have had the training. 

Their are compelling arguments that "Leadership Courses" have minimal effects on improving ones leadership abilities. How exactly one is "taught" to be leader is beyond me.

It would depend on what they are teaching on the course and what the member has learned from their supervisors.  When I did mine they taught the "crap sandwich", getting to know your troops in order to accomplish taskings (helps to know that you have a trucker in your section when doing veh recovery or that Cpl Bloggins can type 120 WPM when you have 5 minutes to get the report completed), proper lectures (who knew you were supposed to give pauses when doing drill lectures, sure didn't seem like it when I was on the other end), proper counselling techniques (hollering and smacking with pace sticks is not proper), how the various parts of the military work together.  Basically a whole bunch of little things that added up and most people didn't think of because it was not what we saw in practice. The JLC/CLC/PLQ is not just about teaching someone how to tell Johnny to be at work on time. I see messages almost every month stripping the leaf off members that were not able to pass the course and an odd one that it was found that they really were not suited to wear it. I have yet to see a message reducing someone that has the course.

Some people will benefit more from the course than others simply because of who they are or because of the supervisors they had.  I figure there must be something to the course as mine started with 54 candidates and graduated 13.  Also if I didn't have the course I am sure I would have been an even bigger *** than I am because that is what my early roll models were. Thankfully I had some really good instructors to straighten me out some.

“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 14:14:04 »

Generally speaking, it does show.  Some more than  others.  A few not at all.  I have seen MCpl/MS and Sgts, in various trades promoted before being qualified.  In most instances, someone higher up has found a need to do so, without honestly looking at some of these people.  I was just on a Crse with a Sgt who now having the crse, will likely get promoted WO.  That person was Shyte as a Sgt, and probably was as a MCpl as well.  Now we have that person in a position to be promoted again, way beyond their level of competence.  Someone ****ed up.  The members of the crse are dumbfounded, as are the Staff.  Standards managed to give this person a PASS after they had failed every PC and had to rewrite every PC, been through a PRB, etc. 

I have to deal with another on a daily basis, who has no managerial, leadership, or people skills and does not have a full knowledge of the Reserve Admin and Pay Systems, yet as a Regular Force person, their Career Mgr has promoted them on posting to be a CC without a PLQ. 

Yes.  I have seen it and IT SHOWS.   My whole crse does not want to be associated with this person at any time in the future.  Our credibility has been damaged.

PMedMoe

Whether your PLQ taught you Leadership, or taught you what not to be as a leader; you still learned leadership skills and developed your own style.   In the end you learned something about leadership.  Everyone does develop their own style.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 16:01:56 »
PMedMoe

Whether your PLQ taught you Leadership, or taught you what not to be as a leader; you still learned leadership skills and developed your own style.   In the end you learned something about leadership.  Everyone does develop their own style.

Oh yeah, and I lost 10 lbs too.  I'd do it again right now*, just for the weight loss!!   ;)

*No, I really wouldn't, it was just like Basic at Cornwallis, except I was older.   :-\
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 16:28:52 »
For all:

It`s a key difference.

Walk into the CO`s office hatless as a MS/MCpl, get sentenced to a reduction in rank, and you march out an AB/Pte.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 16:56:12 »
Generally speaking, it does show.  Some more than  others.  A few not at all.  I have seen MCpl/MS and Sgts, in various trades promoted before being qualified.  In most instances, someone higher up has found a need to do so, without honestly looking at some of these people.  I was just on a Crse with a Sgt who now having the crse, will likely get promoted WO.  That person was Shyte as a Sgt, and probably was as a MCpl as well.  Now we have that person in a position to be promoted again, way beyond their level of competence.  Someone ****ed up.  The members of the crse are dumbfounded, as are the Staff.  Standards managed to give this person a PASS after they had failed every PC and had to rewrite every PC, been through a PRB, etc. 

I have to deal with another on a daily basis, who has no managerial, leadership, or people skills and does not have a full knowledge of the Reserve Admin and Pay Systems, yet as a Regular Force person, their Career Mgr has promoted them on posting to be a CC without a PLQ. 

Yes.  I have seen it and IT SHOWS.   My whole crse does not want to be associated with this person at any time in the future.  Our credibility has been damaged.

PMedMoe

I hear your point GW but there are slugs at all ranks and trades across the board. I have to hold faith that that members CoC saw something in him/her initially to put him/her forward. Perhaps he/she hasn't been in the environment yet where they can shine. For example some people are base line peps and some people are first line peps... Perhaps you saw him in the wrong line... If you catch my drift.

I know many people who have completed the PLQ/JLC who are slugs, and have at much higher ranks now shown true colors and collapsed as a person and a Snr NCO some facing severe career and disciplinary actions.

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying play devils advocate for this member and give the benefit of the doubt. Also is this person regular or reserve ? Why you ask well from what I was told all reserve pers with PLQ/JLC are to be promoted to Mcpl tout de suite! Hence the 2 19 y/o Mcpls in my tent at Meaford this year and the gross over abundance of that rank in the NSE FP right now! This has caused serious issues with regards to a watering down of abilities at that rank level for the reserve IMHO.

What are leadership skills ? PowerPoint ? Being able to glide through the CFAOs with ease ? Or perhaps being able to be the perfect ATL (Attack Team Leader for firefighting). Leadership is something you cant teach because there are so many avenues and different ways to be a leader. If you have attained the appropriate in the eyes of your superiors isn't that a good example of your being a leader ?

My point is you cant tell, and you have to go by the members write ups from their supervisors, and being humans some will get through that shouldn't, in the end though whose fault is that really ?

Perhaps the PLQ should be more geared towards the Admin/PER/PDR and disciplinary processes. For all my asking advice from MS/Mcpls they have all, 100%, said this was the most challenging aspect of the new rank.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 17:41:14 »
I hear your point GW but there are slugs at all ranks and trades across the board.

So very true.

I have to hold faith that that members CoC saw something in him/her initially to put him/her forward.

Unfortunately, this is not the case in many instances.  They are a result of a Trade being so short of Jnr and Snr leaders, that they have promoted whomever they could find that had a pulse, in order to beef up their numbers.  I think this is where the real problem started.

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying play devils advocate for this member and give the benefit of the doubt. Also is this person regular or reserve ?

Both examples I gave are Regular Force.  In fact the one on Crse, which was half Reg and half PRes, was bottom student.  The Reservists, even with less time in, had more experience than this person.   It is unfortunate that this is a case of one of those 'slugs', that we have both seen, making it through, thus generating this little rant.  (Not helped by the fact that I just spent 90 minutes on my stomach disconnecting the power and water from a dishwasher.)

jollyjacktar

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 18:51:07 »
H Tar, not to worry.  I have known you for years and you will do fine as I mentioned when we met for coffee.  Sure there is some trepidation with the unknown and a new position and situation.  Don't fret, you will grow into feeling comfortable in your new skin.  I experienced the same when I was on the threshold as well.  You are professional and worthy of the move.  I am sure that you will go far by the time the race is run and you are an old fart like me.   ;)

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 19:46:27 »
dapaterson:
That may have happenned and probably shouldn't have but going the other way, I have yet to hear of a Corporal being "promoted" to Sgt. In fact I have yet to see any admin order or directive refer to a MS/MCpl using a term other than 'rank'.
As for all the comments about the 'weak' MS/MCpl: if a MS is weak, then a supervisor somewhere f***ed up. Come on people, take ownership for your own inadequacies. CFPAS is there for a reason and if it is necessary to do a weekly PDR on a problem child then that is your duty as a supervisor. Yes, there are some well beyond guidance but the majority come around eventually. I look back on shiny new (and needing 'guidance') MS I knew years ago and they are coming up on their QL6 course now as mature leaders and mentors to subordinates.
Remember for some of the older folk here, we were all that gangly new uncomfortable junior rank before and we had our mentors who 'guided' us.
"I couldn't even spell eng-gineer and now I are one!!!!"
George S. Patton

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 23:25:04 »
In fact I have yet to see any admin order or directive refer to a MS/MCpl using a term other than 'rank'.

Which, is part, why you need PLQ - to learn to read the damned regulations, so you can properly lead and mentor your subordinates and provide them with accurate information, not misinformed opinions.

QR&O 3.01 lists no such rank as Master Seaman or Master Corporal.  QR&O 3.08, on the other hand, says the following:

3.08 – MASTER CORPORAL APPOINTMENT

(1) The Chief of the Defence Staff or such officer as he may designate may appoint a corporal as a master corporal.

(2) The rank of a master corporal remains that of corporal.

(3) Master corporals have seniority among themselves in their order of seniority as corporals.

(4) Master corporals have authority and powers of command over all other corporals.

(M)

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 23:51:37 »
So very true.

Unfortunately, this is not the case in many instances.  They are a result of a Trade being so short of Jnr and Snr leaders, that they have promoted whomever they could find that had a pulse, in order to beef up their numbers.  I think this is where the real problem started.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic George, I should have been more specific.

I was only speaking to the push for bodies in certain trades, regardless of performance etc. The people I had in mind when I typed that reply are in fact now through their recruit (and god forbid) their trades training. Give it a few years and they will be getting the same A/L promotions with even less ability, just to fill a gap.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 00:22:43 by popnfresh »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 00:01:48 »
popnfresh

This has nothing to do with the CFRC recruiters.   The examples given are of people who have already made it into the system.  They have already been through Recruit School and Trades Trg. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 00:05:11 by George Wallace »