Author Topic: Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?  (Read 297277 times)

Offline shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
Re: Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?
« Reply #700 on: September 16, 2020, 11:51:46 »
Sigh; well done RCL. Sure there is more to the story, and he may have been in the wrong, but kicking a WW2 vet and former branch president out of the legion without giving him any details why or letting him tell his side of the story is pretty shady and cowardly. What a gong show.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-vet-fights-legion-expulsion-1.5724096

I agree NP

I wonder if there is any legal options available to him

:cheers:
“We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” ― Will Rogers

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #701 on: September 16, 2020, 18:00:59 »
I think there is far more to this story then has been shown yet in this thread.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #702 on: September 16, 2020, 20:26:33 »
I agree NP

I wonder if there is any legal options available to him

Sure.

The first step is to analyse if the RCL agency that did the expulsion acted within the RCL's by-laws. The fact that he says that he didn't even know that there was a hearing makes me wonder if he received proper notice. The appropriate rules start at Article III.

If the hearing was not conducted in accordance with the by-laws, then a court could interfere and issue a mandatory injunction to force a re-hearing with all the appropriate provisions in place. The court would not, however, substitute it's own decision for that of the appropriate RCL panel tasked with such a hearing.

Gentle reminder, going to court costs money, and the court can order a partial recovery of those costs in favour of the winning party.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #703 on: September 16, 2020, 21:17:17 »
I think there is far more to this story then has been shown yet in this thread.

Turning over rocks can uncover things best left undisturbed.  Others viewing this story may have also started speculating about the personalities involved, digging down to see who may be the more sympathetic - a war veteran with the medals on the left side displaying his service or "possibly" someone who never served in uniform whose medals are all on the right side.  Having found only one tiny photo of the successor to the branch's presidency, no comment can be made about his service.  However, in looking at Mr. Jackson's collection of miniatures worn on his blazer in the photo accompanying the story, I can't help but notice a possible discrepancy between those items and some details provided in the posted article.

As a young Jewish teenager from Glasgow, he joined the Scots Guard in 1943, but wasn't assigned to fight overseas. Instead, he became an instructor, giving sub-machine gun training to British commandos until the war's end.

He was sent overseas after the war and served in various countries, including Italy and France.

If those details are correct, then why is he wearing 39-45 Star, Italy Star, and France and Germany Star?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #704 on: September 16, 2020, 21:48:53 »
Blackadder,

I was about to ask the same question. There is even a question if he is entitled to the Defence Medal, as that was awarded for "three years" of service in the UK.
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel