Author Topic: Second Language Training ( SLT )  (Read 166286 times)

Offline shado_wolf

• Rate Post
Re: French language training for NCM's
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 22:51:23 »
Hello Pencil Tech,

Do you know if the SLT course in Edmonton can replace the 3 1/2 months of slt that NCM's take through the Subsidised Education Plan (NCM-SEP)?  I'm in Edmonton and would rather not go to St Jean if there is an alternative, especially if there is one going throughout the summer.

Thanks,
Dylan

Offline Pencil Tech

• Rate Post
Re: French language training for NCM's
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2005, 08:44:45 »
Hi Dylan. We ran a course for CFRs last year as a pilot "Quality of Life" alternative to St-Jean. The program has not been continued this year. Nevertheless, depending on your level of ability, we might very well be able to offer you something that could reduce the amount of time you will have to spend in St-Jean. Why don't you give me a call at the base - my local is 5712 - and my real name is Tracy Howe.

mseoptrucker

Re: Leading in your "other" language
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2005, 21:03:42 »
I am a Sr cpl 17 years I am English, Posted in Valcartier for 8 years now and at first it was very hard I didn't speak a word of french. i was given a 5 week  basic course and the rest I learned on my own  i can speak understand and read pretty fluently  but i can't write very well . I'm pretty much self taught.
     My opinion is its the best way to learn French, To be totally immersed in it and have to preform your duties in French.In my experience i was learning it for me and not cause i was in a class but because it was do. or be totally lost . That was a great Motivator and although I am not perfact in French after 8 years i am more then functional .And to be honnest I'm loosing my English i only hear English when i go home to N.S.

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2005, 12:41:43 »
Losing your english! Wow.....
Thnx!

Offline delavan

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2005, 16:10:44 »
Hi!

I'm french and i got a level 6 slt two years ago. I got E-C-C on the tests. I'm still doing some mistakes ,but buddies correct them in a friendly manner.

I think that the slt status ans results are not enough for the chain to completely thrust you 100%. I had to prove myself to my peers and supervisors. When they figure out that you understand all what they are saying, and your work is just as good as any other person ,you're clear.

I feel that my comrades treated me well. Took a bit of time to prove myself to the highers...

Keep it up!

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
Bilingualism
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 19:55:58 »
Greetings all:

I have a topic I want to discuss but it is touchy so I am putting out feelers first.........

Is being bilingual important in the Military?

Is the Canadian Military Bilingual?

Is NB the only Bilinqual province in Canada?
"Even if you control the physical, you do not control the man. If you control his mind.........then you have him."

aesop081

Re: Bilingualism
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2005, 20:04:49 »
Mike,

i know this tends to be a contentious issue but here's my 2 cents:

Canada is officialy a bilingual country and we have troops who only speak one language.  Even though it is, IMHO, too expensive to put all soldiers trough SLT, i think it is important for all leaders ( specialy at the senior levels) to be able to communicate with all troops. In my section in 1 CER, i had 2 brad new sappers who did not speak english, so when the o'group with the WO was over i would have to spend a goot amount of time repeating what was said to those 2 sappers.  Its a good thing for them that their section commander (me) spoke both languages.

For your second question, I'm not sure if we could consider the CF as bilingual, we have alot of divisions along linguistic lines.  Most franco troops tend to be posted in Quebec and most anglos in the rest of the country.

For the third, i would have to say that NB is the only province to be "openly" bilingual.  The province has even forced municipalities to have all by-laws in both languages.  Quebec tends to be openly hostile to english and other provinces seem to be reluctant to go all the way.

thats my $0.02

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2005, 20:07:43 »
Is being bilingual important in the Military?

Depends where. On the Navy Side of the house, French doesn't really assist us much, whereas the international language of the seas is English. Spanish would be a good second language working in the East Coast Navy.

Is the Canadian Military Bilingual?

Not really.   Though all Officers must take second language training, the majority of Jnr NCO's aren't bilingual.

Is NB the only Bilingual province in Canada?

Yes
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 20:26:38 by Navalsnpr »
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2005, 20:16:19 »
Now Pat,

Did those 2 sappers know English and not speak it? I know that happens at times. And did those 2 sappers not have to take English trg after recruit training?
"Even if you control the physical, you do not control the man. If you control his mind.........then you have him."

aesop081

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2005, 20:37:51 »
Now Pat,

Did those 2 sappers know English and not speak it? I know that happens at times. And did those 2 sappers not have to take English trg after recruit training?

No, they knew no english whatsoever !!!! A third guy, i had forgotten about was so bad that he was eventualy posted to 5 RGC.  They were not sent to SLT after recruit school, which would be very very rare for NCMs. One of the 2 was sent by the regiment to SLT on the base, half-days. Theo other guy was so bad at english that even the base language school couldn't help him !!

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2005, 20:42:29 »
I like what you are saying Pat because it will add to my arguement in the near future.

You ever run into Steve Jackson in your travels? He is an old Thumperhead from years gone by

aesop081

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2005, 20:44:37 »
I like what you are saying Pat because it will add to my arguement in the near future.

You ever run into Steve Jackson in your travels? He is an old Thumperhead from years gone by

I havent run into Steve yet but i'll keep an eye out.

Can i ask you what future argument you are refering to ?

BTW, how are things in Pet, sometimes i miss my old trade........?

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2005, 20:47:24 »
For me to know and for you to find out Pat. It's a doozy let me tell you!!!!

Things in Pet are great but the pace is very very hectic. I wouldn't give it up for the world though! I love it! How do you like your new paycheck?

aesop081

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2005, 20:55:15 »
Mike, check your PMs

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2005, 20:59:29 »
ACK!

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2005, 12:50:17 »
Ontario and Manitoba are also officially bilingual.

I myself went through French Immersion and am fully bilingual, and have found the skill to be virtually useless here on the left coast. My current civilian job requires a fluency in French, but any other "bilingual" position I applied for out here in Vancouver, they were usually looking for people who spoke Cantonese, Mandarian or Punjabi. French is almost non-existant here, other than on our cereal boxes.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2005, 14:54:41 »
Which begs the question - should Canada be a bilingual country, or should we be multilingual to reflect the many different cultures that have contributed to the Canadian dialogue?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2005, 15:00:18 »
...nooooo....not again.......can feel the pull.....must resist.......I'll get you for this Infanteer.....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2005, 15:37:00 »
I like the concept of being bilingual, I am not sure that being multilingual is good for a country.   Creates too much division.

It seems the trouble, as Combat Medic pointed out, is that bilingualism seems to create division as well.   Theoretically, bilingual should mean that all citizens are capable of speaking both languages (meaning that it shouldn't matter what language ths sign is written in because we could read it either way) - but it appears that bilingualism in Canada for the most part is either/or or even neither (ie: Cantonese with little English).

Tricky questions when trying to bind the body politic with a common approach to communication....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline RatCatcher

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2005, 22:28:42 »
I am a MCpl recently posted to Valcartier as a PMed Tech, and am almost fluently billingual.  although I am not in a leadership role (PMed base rank is MCpl), I have had to work with the militia on exercise (in Mississippi) where almost none of the Medics spoke english. During one incident (no details no pack drill) I had to take a younger member aside to reassure her of what was going on with a friend. It was hard in my second language but I find if you take your time your message will get across... as well I tought the M72 during MLOC... that was an experience due to the fact that a) I have never tought weapons in french and b) I know the terms only in english.  I probably made up a few new terms...lol.

The point I am making is take your time expressing yourself and the message will get across.... and use diagrams.

Offline shado_wolf

• Rate Post
SLT - what to expect
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2005, 22:41:47 »
Hello all,

I've done a search and found some info but none that really answered my questions.  I am off to St Jean for SLT from the begining of May until Aug 12 and am curious as to what I can expect.  Is it a mon to fri 9 to 5 kinda week or is like my time in the mega for Basic, confined to base for 95% of the time?  I am planning on driving myself out so that I have a vehilcle to use since I'll be there for 3.5 months and don't want to be stuck on the base if I get time off.

As far as living arangements go, does anyone know how that works.  A slight twist.  I'm reg force NCM so I don't know if they'ld be parking me with the Officers and I doubt very much that I'ld be using the same mess as the gents and ladies I'll be on course with.  Any NCM's out there gone and done the course at St Jean?

Thanks and sorry if it's been discussed to death.

Dylan

Offline EngrTech

• Rate Post
Re: SLT - what to expect
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2005, 00:53:59 »
I've done a search and found some info but none that really answered my questions.  I am off to St Jean for SLT from the begining of May until Aug 12 and am curious as to what I can expect.  Is it a mon to fri 9 to 5 kinda week or is like my time in the mega for Basic, confined to base for 95% of

It's mon-fri 8:00 to 15:15. After that, it's free time and you can do whatever you want... preferably studying your second language.  ;)
Also, there is a school block leave in June... weeks of the 13th and 20th.

As far as living arangements go, does anyone know how that works.  A slight twist.  I'm reg force NCM so I don't know if they'ld be parking me with the Officers and I doubt very much that I'ld be using the same mess as the gents and ladies I'll be on course with.  Any NCM's out there gone and done the course at St Jean?

I imagine you'll be parked with the Officers for rooms (there's an NCM currently on course that I've seen around), but will probably be using the other mess.

Offline snowy owl

• army wench
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2005, 12:47:05 »
There is school block leave in June? I'm supposed to start SLT on the 12th of June. Is the leave just for the staff?

It's always a good time to play in the mud
army wench for life!

Offline EngrTech

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2005, 13:46:39 »
There is school block leave in June? I'm supposed to start SLT on the 12th of June. Is the leave just for the staff?

Well, we were told that the students had to burn 2 weeks of leave starting the 13th of June. My understanding was that the school was essentially closed for those two weeks. I'm kind of surprised that you would be starting on the 12th given the circumstances.

Offline shado_wolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2005, 15:27:11 »
Thanks for the reply.  Hmm, that block leave has me wondering what's goin on.  I'm on block leave from Aug 12 until begining of Sept (when my SLT ends until I go back to school).  I wonder if they'ld be putting me on PAT over the two weeks in June or if they'll burn up more of my leave for that period.  I know last summer they wanted me to burn at least 14 or 15 days of my leave over the summer but that'll only cover about 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Dylan