Author Topic: Background Check (Merged)  (Read 25123 times)

Offline Kv-super

• Rate Post
Losing moral
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 13:29:43 »
Hello everyone,

I wrote back a while ago about my application process and now my recruiter has finally contacted me back saying they ate awaiting my back round check. It has been almost a year and I have spoke to countless people in the military and they all agree that this is taking way too long, especially for the reserves, I'm a little irrirated and running out of hope, being in the military is life long dream so is their any way I can speed things up with the process, I'm pretty sure a back round check doesn't take a year.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Losing moral
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2016, 13:28:21 »
Hello everyone,

I wrote back a while ago about my application process and now my recruiter has finally contacted me back saying they ate awaiting my back round check. It has been almost a year and I have spoke to countless people in the military and they all agree that this is taking way too long, especially for the reserves, I'm a little irrirated and running out of hope, being in the military is life long dream so is their any way I can speed things up with the process, I'm pretty sure a back round check doesn't take a year.

No, a background check doesn't normally take a year.  But if you were subject to a "Pre-Security Clearance Screening", then depending on the countries which are involved, the process can take from 6-18 months and sometimes longer.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Background Check (Merged)
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 01:34:44 »
See also,

OP: Kv-super

Losing moral 

Hello,

It's been around a year since I applied to the reserves for infantry in the lorne scots regiment, I have completed all testing and handed in all medical forms, my recruiter finally contacted me back and informed me that I have to still pass my back round check after a year! I'm 18 I have no credit, no criminal offences, I haven't even been suspended from school, I don't understand what's taking so long because most people i have talked to in the military have said it's ridiculous that this is taking so long because I am reserves. If anyone can shine the light for me I'd be so happy because I am very fusturated at this point I just want to be merit listed and get the ball rolling.

Good Day,

I wanted to clarify one point for you, being that you are joining a Reserve Unit you will not be merit listed.  The "Merit List" exists solely for Regular Force applicants.

Recruiting for Reserve Units rests solely with each individual Reserve Unit.
When someone applies to join a Reserve Unit online, the application is sent directly to that Reserve Unit. When they give the "green light" to the supporting Recruiting Centre that there is an opening within their unit and that they'd like to enroll you is when processing occurs.  The Recruiting Centre will do your Aptitude Test, Interview, Medical and Background check.  Although you're 18 you will still need to undergo a background check, this is a requirement for everyone joining the Forces.  While you state that you have no credit, no criminal offences - that is not the case for every 18 year old who applies.

Looking at your posts, you stated on 20 February that you had just applied to the Lorne Scots.  While I can understand that even at 7 months you're feeling disheartened, you are not at the year mark.  I know I've posted on here explaining that during the summer most Reserve Recruiting is on hold, this is because of Reserve Unit Staff are away for the summer instructing.  Very little occurs between beginning June to end August because of this.

When you look at the time of when you applied and take out the time your file was on "hold" due to Reserve Summer Training your file has been in process for approximately 4 months.  Most Reserve Units have now commenced their Fall Training and the Reserve Recruiter should be back at the unit (assuming they're not taking leave after working all summer), you should follow up with your Reserve Unit Recruiter.  Being that the Lorne Scots fall under 32 Canadian Brigade Group, if you want to send me a private message with your name, DOB and email address I can get in touch with one of the Brigade Recruiters and ask them to follow up with you.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Tony35mk

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 22:43:45 »
Hey everyone..so 2 months ago i wrote my cfat,i was told i qualified for my choice(infantry reg) and my background check started.My issue is that i was born in Greece and pretty much lived my whole life there.I've moved to Canada a couple of months ago.My parents live in Greece i have duel-citizenship, and also because of my previous army service(in greece mandatory service) its gonna take awhile.Can i help the cfrc somehow to speed up the process.I have also provide the recruiting center with my military discharge paper..just to speed up the process.

Thank you in advance... :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

Offline raoufhakam

• Rate Post
  • CHIMO
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:29 »
Hey everyone..so 2 months ago i wrote my cfat,i was told i qualified for my choice(infantry reg) and my background check started.My issue is that i was born in Greece and pretty much lived my whole life there.I've moved to Canada a couple of months ago.My parents live in Greece i have duel-citizenship, and also because of my previous army service(in greece mandatory service) its gonna take awhile.Can i help the cfrc somehow to speed up the process.I have also provide the recruiting center with my military discharge paper..just to speed up the process.

Thank you in advance... :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

my application situation was somewhat close to yours:
1/ i have Dual-Citizenship.
2/ i haven't lived in Canada continuously for the 10 years prior to my application.
3/ i had a direct family member (my oldest brother) living abroad.

and according to the CF guidelines, each and any one of these "Foreign Implications" require you to undergo further Security Clearance Pre-Assessment and fill up some extra forms. and this can delay your application a little further depending on the countries involved and how many of them. (in your case Greece).

In my case, it was 2 foreign countries (Egypt & Kuwait), so that took a little longer, but i kept checking with the recruiting centre every month or so, and i was asked once to provide a criminal record check from the country i lived in before moving to Canada cause i was above 18.

as for your previous military service, i don't think that can be a "bad point" against you, if anything, you have some knowledge of military discipline, drill, commands and such. and unless you served in a armed forces of a country that's deemed an enemy to Canada (like North Korea, Iraq, Iran, ...etc.)., on of the guys in my BMQ had served in military in Serbia or Croatia.

AFAIK, Greece is a NATO ally, your military service there, or you having lived there shouldn't hinder your application as much as in my case.

FYI, my whole application process from submitting the online application to getting enrolled took me almost 3 years (2 years and 10 months), but i doubt yours should take that long and i've heard they've changed a lot of things in the application processing steps to expedite things.
Recruiting Centre: Halifax
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Application Date: Jan31 2014
Position offered:Nov10 2016
Sworn in:Nov15 2016
BMQ:Nov18 2016

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
Employment
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 16:00:43 »
On the application it says they won't contact your current employer if you so wish... I am just wondering if that is actually true or if they just contact them anyway?
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Re: Employment
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 16:05:29 »
Do you think it's some kind of a trap or something? Questions and check boxes are there for a reason, and it's not to trip you up.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 16:09:49 »
I don't think it is a trap, but my current employer is not exactly thrilled that I am looking for another job, i have already gotten heat from them about it. So much so that I would not use them as a reference. So my apologies for asking a normal question on a public domain..

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 16:10:23 »
Knowing that you have search Goggle: "site:army.ca contact employer" and read the 6 threads that address the question, I'm confident there is a suitable answer.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 16:12:19 »
Ok Thanks!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2017, 16:44:25 »
On the application it says they won't contact your current employer if you so wish... I am just wondering if that is actually true or if they just contact them anyway?

Question regarding DND Personal Data Verification
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,97476.msg1431064.html#msg1431064
Im in a situation where I kinda don't want my current employer to know Im applying for the Forces.

Forces.ca
DND Personal Data Verification
http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/PersonalDataVerification.pdf
"You can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it pertains to
your current employer(s)."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 16:49:19 by mariomike »

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2017, 16:52:42 »
I don't think it is a trap, but my current employer is not exactly thrilled that I am looking for another job, i have already gotten heat from them about it. So much so that I would not use them as a reference. So my apologies for asking a normal question on a public domain..

I wasn't trying to climb up on you, it was a simple question. They wouldn't put the contact current employer box on the form if they were just going to circumvent your wishes and do it anyway.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2017, 17:09:56 »
What happens if a former employer gives you a bad reference? will your application be denied?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2017, 17:16:46 »
What happens if a former employer gives you a bad reference? will your application be denied?

Bad reference
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22bad+reference%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=uRoaWeyNFoON8QeI_YDICw&gws_rd=ssl

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 17:19:49 by mariomike »

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2017, 17:32:38 »
They don't contact them, they actually call you if you don't put anything there to confirm if you want them to contact them or not. As this would get some people in hot water if their current employers knew they were attempting to leave their current company, they don't call if you don't want them to.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2017, 18:19:59 »
From a CAF Recruiter,

DND Personal Data Verification

Take a closer look at your PDV Form, specifically the very first page where you will see......

"For your employment history, all your previous employer(s) will be contacted; you can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it is pertains to your current employer(s)."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 18:23:07 by mariomike »

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 18:42:38 »
What do i do if a former employer rejects to give me a proof of employment?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 19:04:49 »
What do i do if a former employer rejects to give me a proof of employment?

You have Pay Slips and Income Tax forms...Right?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2017, 19:15:52 »
I have online t4 slips and stuff. My RC said they need a government official T4.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2017, 07:33:23 »
All is fixed. My career counsellor was given the wrong information back from the 3rd party.  [:) Thanks for the help anyway!
Cheers Guys! 

Offline Kevin32

• Rate Post
Foreign country background check?
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2017, 00:04:14 »
Hello army.ca,
I've recently applied to the armed forces. I'm lead to believe, having lived in Norway for many years, they'll want a background and credit check from Norway.
I've heard a foreign background check can extend the time it takes to process my application by up to 9 months!

Could contacting the norwegian authorities and requesting they send over said background information speed up my application process? Any other information?

Thanks, Kevin.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Foreign country background check?
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2017, 11:01:19 »

Could contacting the norwegian authorities and requesting they send over said background information speed up my application process?

Why dont you call them and ask? Start there.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline BeyondTheNow

I came. I saw. I made it awkward...

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Foreign country background check?
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2017, 12:06:28 »
Hello army.ca,
I've recently applied to the armed forces. I'm lead to believe, having lived in Norway for many years, they'll want a background and credit check from Norway.
I've heard a foreign background check can extend the time it takes to process my application by up to 9 months!

Could contacting the norwegian authorities and requesting they send over said background information speed up my application process? Any other information?

Thanks, Kevin.

Hi Kevin, welcome to Army.ca.

While I don't feel the Norwegian authorities will have a lot of knowledge/feedback on what will or won't speed up your application process for the Canadian Armed Forces, you'd be better off posing that question to your CFRC. We do have some members of the site working/who have worked in Recruiting, but they can be occupied at times and aren't able to respond to all inquiries quickly.

You are correct in that a background check will be required and it will extend your processing time. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot that can be done about that, other than being patient and productive in the mean time.

Please explore the recruiting threads in which you'll find a lot of additional information to answer most of the questions you'll have as your process moves forward. However, please note that due to the dynamic of this site there are specific types of questions that only your CFRC/file manager will be able to answer for you.

"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 13:51:57 by mariomike »