Author Topic: Helmets 2 Hardhats [Merged]  (Read 50598 times)

Offline exabedtech

• Rate Post
Re: Helmets 2 Hardhats [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 20:25:55 »
Fixed that for you...

Thanks!  I actually tried for that program when I was released... was easier to just enter a competition just like everyone else and win it on merit.  :nod:

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 20:49:36 »
It doesn't help that our society constantly pushes the idea that kids MUST get a post-secondary education nowadays.  Everyone's always on me about making sure I'm puttign away money for my children's (only have one due shortly right now) college/university fund and it's funny the looks I get (usually down noses) when I reply "What if he/she doesn't need or want to go to university?".

Not that I don't budget to put a little away to help with education down the road, but this mentality that you'll be some poor destitude slob without a piece of paper to hang on the wall is ridiculous.  As is the idea of getting such a piece a paper just to get one, with no firm plan on how to utilise it.

For the most part, I agree with you.  I went to university with too many people who had no idea why they were there or where they were going.  Yet, my generation was specifically told that if we didn't go to university we would be failures.  This was simply the wrong approach and we as a society are paying for it now.

However, I don't agree with your last sentence.  You have fallen into the big trap where folks equate education with training.  There is much overlap between the two, but they are not the same.  Education is about expanding one's mind and learning how to look at things from different angles, analyze situations and develop solutions or courses of action.  An education need not be specific to achieve this.  Training on the other hand, teaches one how to do something  specific.  A big part of the problem today is that universities are often seen as job training centres .  It doesn't help that they (in search of revenue) are beginning to see themselves the same way.

Education is valuable and should be pursued, but don't equate it to training and don't expect it to lead to a specific career.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:55 »
7 Jan 12,  Rifleman 62:

On TV last year there was a program all about Mike Homes. He does a lot of work visiting schools to promote construction trades.

You may be interested in the Homes Foundation: http://makeitright.ca/Holmes_Foundation/foundation.php?page_id=76

I will write to the Foundation to see if they will partner/support this VAC program. I am sure if MH gets in on it, VAC will accept.

If anything, it will raise the profile of this Vet program. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After writing twice, and filtering through the communications department, received the following from Mike's daughter who is a program coordinator:

This is definitely something we would be interested in learning more about and working with if there is an opportunity. We are currently reworking many of our Foundation's programs and initiatives. I will have a more in-depth look at the websites as soon as possible.

It looks like a fantastic program. Thank you for bringing this to our attention

This does not mean anything will happen.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline kia4ever

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 12:58:58 »
People need to change their mindset. For years everyone's been told that if you don't have a professional white collar job (doctor, lawyer, etc) and a university degree you were nothing and no one would hire you. That kind of thinking gutted the skilled trades.

No one, now, can find plumbers, electricians, masons, metal cutters, carpenters, cabinet makers and the list goes on.

All the above and any other 'working with your hands' trades are all viable and honourable professions that need people and support. The program should be expanded to cover all of these.

idk about that. It seems that 90% of the energy in trades is advertising how good they are. I've been trying to become an apprentice for 2 years now and it's near impossible to find someone to hire a first year apprentice. It's so frustrating that every time you try and google information about apprenticeships you find pages that are designed to advertise how good an apprenticeship trade is.

I mean the government keeps dumping money into websites and resource centers filled with social workers that make you jump through hoops for nothing. We get it, being a skilled trade is the best route, now give me a job!! I'm young, strong and willing to work anywhere, quit hiring foreign workers, quit hiring worthless hr representatives. its very frustrating, hopefully this program works because here in Toronto, I can't find anything

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 19:10:11 »
idk about that. It seems that 90% of the energy in trades is advertising how good they are. I've been trying to become an apprentice for 2 years now and it's near impossible to find someone to hire a first year apprentice. It's so frustrating that every time you try and google information about apprenticeships you find pages that are designed to advertise how good an apprenticeship trade is.

I mean the government keeps dumping money into websites and resource centers filled with social workers that make you jump through hoops for nothing. We get it, being a skilled trade is the best route, now give me a job!! I'm young, strong and willing to work anywhere, quit hiring foreign workers, quit hiring worthless hr representatives. its very frustrating, hopefully this program works because here in Toronto, I can't find anything

Oil patch needs you!

http://www.jobsearchonline.bc.ca/pdf/op-needs-you-cr05.pdf
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mwc

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 22:53:48 »

Indeed getting an Apprenticeship is difficult. I found one after months of looking, and I feel I only got it because I had 2 years college. Mind you the program I took was all 3 levels of Electrical Trade school condensed into 4 semesters. I left that job though because I literally couldn't pay the bills only making about $1.50 above minimum wage. And it pissed me off that I had all this knowledge already, but was put on the same level as a kid right out of high school. Needless to say I went back to concrete work which pays better, although is much harder work.

Offline stealthylizard

Conditional acceptance for B.Comm (ACC).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 23:20:03 »
I was trying to get into a trade, almost any trade, for about 8 years.  The biggest problem lately is that there aren't enough journeymen to teach apprentices.  Of course if there aren't enough apprentices being trained to replace the journeymen as they retire, there aren't enough journeymen to teach more apprentices to fill those voids.

Offline maniac

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2012, 16:42:46 »

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 15:53:38 »
I have just found out today that the Helmets to Hardhats program is only applicable for organizations that are unionized.

Interesting... Smaller private sector businesses just don't rate.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 11:59:04 »
I have just found out today that the Helmets to Hardhats program is only applicable for organizations that are unionized.

One of those listed is the Labourers International Union of North America (LIUNA).

Story in yesterday's Sun about them:
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/21/top-pay-for-building-the-better-way

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2012, 12:35:19 »
The H2H program at it's heart is an agreement with the unions in order to capitalize on the skills sets that we bring to the table. The trades are hurting, and will be for the foreseeable future. This is a good way (IMHO) for them to build their numbers and satisfy industry needs all while helping our guys out.

Once your apprenticeship is done and you have your ticket, there may be some kind of time pay back to the union, I'm not really sure how it works.

But I can't imagine there would be too much stopping you from being a plumber on your own if that's what you wanted to do.

Their poster boy on their website, Teddy Collins was a good buddy of mine that worked 2nd line for years. Good to see him doing well. Nuclear reactors, never thought of working in that industry.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Gimli

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2018, 23:53:37 »
I have been reading a bunch of stuff online about the Helmets to Hardhats (H2H) program.  It basically recognized military trades in the civilian world.  My understanding is that if a person has the correct military qualifications in a specific trade, then that can be transferred over to the civilian world, e.i. a journeyman ticket.  I read somewhere QL5 qualified. 

Here is my situation.  I am looking at getting into the military (again).  Currently, I am a civilian Journeyman Electrician.  Master Electrician actually (a higher qualification in Alberta).  I also have previous military experience (7 years army, not as an electrician).  However, I do not qualify to be a Electrical Distribution Tech.  My high-school math is not good enough.  I didn’t even take grade 12 math.  Why? Because it was not needed to get a diploma, and I was just a punk kid, wanting to chase girls instead. 

When I asked this question at the recruiting centre, they did not seem to know.  Nor did they know where I could go to find the answer.

I am aware of a PLAR.  However, that is not a guarantee.  There seems to be some variation and it really depends on the individual.  It is possible that there could be a waiver of qualifications, but that is not guaranteed either.  Also, it was indicated to me that this could take a long time.

So my thought; if there is program in place recognizing qualifications going one way, would it also work the other way?  Will civilian qualifications be recognized by the military?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2018, 00:08:29 »
I have been reading a bunch of stuff online about the Helmets to Hardhats (H2H) program. 

For reference to the discussion,

Combat-to-construction program unveiled for veterans 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=100014.0
3 pages.

The Helmets to Hardhats Program introduced in Tuesday's federal budget involves no new money and will primarily consist of a new website aimed at matching skilled veterans and newly released Canadian Forces members with the construction sector.

See also,

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=42867.75
8 pages

CF SKilled Trade jobs; Jouneyman Status?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=112669.0

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 00:16:09 by mariomike »

Offline TrunkMonkey315

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2018, 00:33:27 »
The CAF does recognize Journeyman/Red Seals. I'm a Journeyman Welder with Red Seal and when I applied to get back in I had Mat Tech as my 3rd choice, they cover welding and because of my credentials I would have had a portion of my QL3 course written off, according to recruiting.

Offline Gimli

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:10 »
Thanks