Author Topic: Top Gun 2  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: Top Gun 2
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2019, 17:38:43 »
Everyone is postulating that TG2 is set in the current day (2019).  This movie has been under development since 2010 and was to be originally released this year.  It could, in fact, be set a few years ago when Maverick had just hit 30 years and was in that magical last month of service. 
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2019, 10:11:25 »
In other news, China is not a fan of Maverick's jacket...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/media/top-gun-flags-intl-hnk/index.html
Optio

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2019, 19:42:09 »
Tom Cruise is 57, DOB July 03 1962

Original Top Gun 1986, Putting at  Maverick at 24
And here's a bit more on the whole age thing ...
... Could a real-world Capt. Mitchell still fly missions 33 years after audiences first saw the iconic naval aviator buzz control towers in the 1986 blockbuster “Top Gun”?

The short answer is yes, the Navy Personnel Command told USNI News on Monday. However, the scenarios run from unlikely to far-fetched.

The most straightforward answer to have a captain with 35-plus years of service is for the captain to have previous enlisted experience. In the case of Maverick, this scenario doesn’t fit with the movie’s timeline – Maverick was a lieutenant in 1986.

Another possible scenario occurs if there’s a break in service. For instance, perhaps at some point after the famous incident involving MiGs of uncertain origin over the Indian Ocean, as depicted in the first “Top Gun,” Maverick left active duty and did some time in the Navy Reserve. Then later, he returned to active duty. With more than five years in the reserves, Maverick could be pushing 37 years in uniform.

The final scenario for Maverick would be if he were retired but retained in service, a scenario that keeps individuals in uniform after reaching their statutory retirement. Generally speaking, cases of individuals being retired but retained are rare, but not unheard of, according to Naval Personnel Command ...
More @ link
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2019, 09:01:43 »
Now we know why he never made it past Captain!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2019, 09:12:30 »
Now we know why he never made it past Captain!

I must have seen that a dozen times now and it never fails to make me giggle. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2019, 09:47:00 »
Its Hollyweird so anything is possible. Hollywood is all about remakes right now because they have a built in audience. The bit with the patches is a hat tip to China where they buy alot of US made films.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2019, 09:57:16 »
Chinese company is also heavily involved in film funding American films...
Optio

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2019, 14:55:38 »
Its Hollyweird so anything is possible. Hollywood is all about remakes right now because they have a built in audience. The bit with the patches is a hat tip to China where they buy alot of US made films.

In this case, Tencent (a Chinese company) is one of the partners for monetary backing alongside Paramount. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."