Author Topic: Infantry Application (merged thread)  (Read 118010 times)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 16:16:07 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Infantry soldier vs. Infantry officer
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2015, 16:15:21 »
I'm also concerned about the administrative workload that the officer has to do... What does this look like?

You're welcome.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2015, 10:37:57 »
  You're welcome.

That pressing issued of what colour are the pips and crowns going to be just won't go away eh JM [Xp.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:27 »
That pressing issued of what colour are the pips and crowns going to be just won't go away eh JM [Xp.
  :dunno:  Hey, I just figured that the OP's inability to read any  of the pre-existing threads on this topic suggested that simple pictures may be the best way to answer a question.

It was that or stick-figures.  ;)

Offline Danjanou

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2015, 10:49:05 »
  :dunno:  Hey, I just figured that the OP's inability to read any  of the pre-existing threads on this topic suggested that simple pictures may be the best way to answer a question.

It was that or stick-figures.  ;)

Stick figures are only for us unedumucated other ranks. 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2015, 10:58:24 »
Stick figures are only for us unedumucated other ranks. 8)

Ah!  But the unedumucated kids today can use YouTube.   [:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2015, 11:23:32 »
I'm also concerned about the administrative workload that the officer has to do... What does this look like?

I'm not an Infantry Officer, but I currently hold a position known as Adjutant, which is a position that many Infantry Officers might have after their first few years in Garrison. Just to give you an idea, here are some of the jobs I've been working on lately:

Prepare Presentation on Voluntary Occupational Transfer Program
Prepared Presentation on Operation Honour
Prepare a summary of Non-Effective Strength Regulations
Write the semi-annual Report of Proceedings
Write Terms of Reference for a Summary Investigation
Write nominations, narratives and citations for Commander's Certificate of Achievement
Write Professional Devlopment Review (PDR) for the Chief Clerk
Proofread the PDRs written by my subordinates
Sign a metric crap-ton of pay sheets
Conduct an audit of all the security clearance of everyone at my unit
Write an article for a naval newsletter about activities at the unit
Proofread the PAO's various articles
Proofread memos from everyone on everything because they all suck at it

That's just the last little while...
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2015, 11:27:35 »
I'm not an Infantry Officer, but I currently hold a position known as Adjutant, which is a position that many Infantry Officers might have after their first few years in Garrison. Just to give you an idea, here are some of the jobs I've been working on lately:

Write nominations, narratives and citations for Commander's Certificate of Achievement

That looks about right, although the weight of the paysheets for you to sign seems a little light.

Don't forget about the endless array of online courses you're obliged to complete as well...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2015, 11:33:59 »
That looks about right.....
Plus the periodic "we're one team; there is no 'us' and 'them'....but you RegF bastards did this...." 

And higher HQ's default setting of "I know this has absolutely nothing to do with your line serial, but you're the full-time guy, so bend over..."

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:41 »
I'm also an Adjutant (and an Infantry Officer) - This is what the "Staff" side of being an officer looks like.

Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2015, 12:34:15 »
I'm also an Adjutant (and an Infantry Officer) - This is what the "Staff" side of being an officer looks like.

You left out the one key part of the job description of every officer: Other duties as required.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:09 »
If you're looking to get a lot of high speed courses and technical training, don't become an officer.  If you are interested in planning and administration, Officer is what you want.

typical career of a Regular Force Infantry Officer is as follows:

Complete Occupation Training (Basic Training, Common Army Training, Platoon Commander, Mechanized Training 1-2 years) you will be badged and posted to a Regiment upon completion of your last phase.  Your choices are RCR, PPCLI, R22R.

Once you're badged in, you will be posted to one of your Regiments three Battalions.  The 1st and 2nd Battalions of each Regiment are Mechanized Infantry Battalions while the 3rd Battalions are Light Infantry Battalions with 1xParachute Company each.

Once you arrive at the Battalion, if you did well/near the top of your phase training, you'll be immediately given a Platoon Commander billet, if you don't receive one you'll go in to an Administrative role until a position opens up which could take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year.  This may sound crappy but if you don't have a platoon you may have the opportunity to go on some courses (Parachute Training, Mountain Ops, Unarmed Combat, etc).  You'll also have time to catch up on Professional Development course (CAFJOD, AJOSQ) which will be important as you advance in your career. 

Once you have a platoon you'll command it for a year, if you're lucky you'll get more time.  I had a Platoon for 2.5 years but a lot of people don't get that lucky.  When you're a platoon commander you will do all the training with your soldiers, field exercises, ranges, run physical training, etc...  You'll also be responsible for the Platoon Administration, leave passes, range instructions, performance reports, counselling soldiers, etc...  This is your first introduction to administration.

Once you finish as a Platoon Commander you'll be moved in to a different position within the Battalion.  If you did very well they may give you an opportunity to move in to Recce Platoon.  Otherwise you'll be moving to a position like Transport Platoon, LAV Captain or upstairs to Battalion Operations.  If you did very well you may be given the opportunity to become a Company 2IC.  This is very good as you may get this tick in the box yr first go at Battalion, which means you might not have to do it again when/if you return to the Battalion.

After three or four years your time at Battalion will come to an end and you will arrive at the career point where you're ready to go on external regimental employment (ERE).  The possibilities of where you will end up are quite broad.  You could go to a training centre to train other soldiers/officers, you could be seconded to recruitment or the Reserve Force, you could be posted to one of our many headquarters to work as a staff officer, the possibilities are endless.

This is also the time when you need to start thinking about where you want to go with your career.  There will be numerous career courses you should aim to complete during this timeframe and you should start thinking about going back to the Battalion.  There is also the option of moving in to another career stream and trying your hand at the numerous specialized units that exist within the Canadian Forces (JTF2, CSOR, CJIRU, HUMINT) and perhaps moving in that direction.

Note that if you are interested in these units and you successfully complete their selections, your infantry officer career essentially goes on pause.  If you don't have any aspirations for these units than you'll want to make sure you try and get in the Army Operations Course (AOC) before returning to a Battalion, it's not the end of the world if you don't do so but it saves you the trouble of doing it once you return to a Battalion.

Upon returning to Battalion, you'll start off being employed as either a Company 2IC or find yourself filling other Senior Captain positions (Asst Ops Officer, Adjutant, Operations Officer, 2IC Admin Company).  Once you've completed these jobs and have sufficient time in rank, you may be ready for promotion to Major at which point you will become a Company Commander.  After this, what happens in your career is anyone's guess.

That should give you a pretty good idea of what your first 8-12 years of your career as an infantry officer looks like.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:05 »
Actually, unless I missed something, Lumber, who is a MARS officer (the Naval line officers), is by the look of his list of things in a position in a reserve/militia unit as the "RSS" officer, and that is a staff position (don't know why his unit would qualify the Regular Force staff officer position as "adjutant", but hey! The militia does what it does).

Therefore, his daily work entails staff officer duties only, and BTW that explains his involvement with signing pay sheets, which doesn't exist in the regular force, and his writing an article for a naval newsletter, which an "adjutant" (purely Army position) would not normally write.

Offline Danjanou

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2015, 12:58:14 »
You left out the one key part of the job description of every officer: Other duties as required.

That line (usually in small print) has been in every job I've ever held military of civvy, paid or volunteer  since I was 16  ::)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2015, 13:38:33 »
Actually, unless I missed something, Lumber, who is a MARS officer (the Naval line officers), is by the look of his list of things in a position in a reserve/militia unit as the "RSS" officer, and that is a staff position (don't know why his unit would qualify the Regular Force staff officer position as "adjutant", but hey! The militia does what it does).

The position is actually "Administration Officer", but having described my duties to my army buddies (including my Chief Clerk who is an army Warrant Officer) my job is essentially the same as an Adjutant.

I was just trying to make it more relevant for OP... plus it sounds cooler than AdminO.

Also, I don't officialy write any articles. I just write nice things about what are doing and then suddenly it appears in a newletter or magazine with the name of one of my bosses as the author...   :coffee:
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry Application (merged thread)
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2016, 20:27:24 »
At what point during basic at St.Jean do you find out where you do your infantry training? I'm hearing Meaford....

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2016, 20:35:35 »
I'm hearing Meaford....

According to Forces.ca

"Infantry Soldiers attend one of three Military Training Centres: The Royal Canadian Regiment in Meaford, Ontario; Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry in Wainwright, Alberta; and The Royal 22e Régiment in Valcartier, Quebec."
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4?olvPlayer=196.001s&module=cue_4_3
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2016, 21:03:45 »
At what point are you told?

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2016, 22:09:26 »
At what point are you told?

There will be a test.

You will be put in a room with a knife, a chicken and a dummy representing an enemy soldier.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

If you the kill the "enemy" using only the chicken, paint yourself in it's blood and then proceed to use the knife to cut the rim off your bush cap then you will go to Wainwright.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife and then try to get the chicken's phone number you will go to Meaford.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2016, 22:31:50 »
Loachman likes this. Milpoints.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2016, 23:20:10 »
. . . . .

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

. . . . .

That is so inappropriate.  . . . . . A dry white wine would be more suitable for a simple baked chicken.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2016, 21:43:57 »
Thanks for nothing

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2016, 22:10:47 »
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,101214.msg1055803.html#msg1055803

30 seconds on Google. You're welcome for nothing.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2016, 03:54:46 »
That is so inappropriate.  . . . . . A dry white wine would be more suitable for a simple baked chicken.

I'm thinking fava beans and a nice Chianti...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.