No, we have an intelligent infantry
2 (12.5%)
Some are intelligent, most are not
5 (31.3%)
Most are intelligent, some are not
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: October 01, 2017, 10:36:44

Author Topic: Joining The Infantry  (Read 189182 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Joining The Infantry
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2016, 20:35:35 »
I'm hearing Meaford....

According to Forces.ca

"Infantry Soldiers attend one of three Military Training Centres: The Royal Canadian Regiment in Meaford, Ontario; Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry in Wainwright, Alberta; and The Royal 22e Régiment in Valcartier, Quebec."
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4?olvPlayer=196.001s&module=cue_4_3

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2016, 21:03:45 »
At what point are you told?

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2016, 22:09:26 »
At what point are you told?

There will be a test.

You will be put in a room with a knife, a chicken and a dummy representing an enemy soldier.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

If you the kill the "enemy" using only the chicken, paint yourself in it's blood and then proceed to use the knife to cut the rim off your bush cap then you will go to Wainwright.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife and then try to get the chicken's phone number you will go to Meaford.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2016, 22:31:50 »
Loachman likes this. Milpoints.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2016, 23:20:10 »
. . . . .

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife then bake the chicken for 1 hour at 350 degrees and serve with a side of roasted potatoes and a nice red wine you will go to Valcartier.

. . . . .

That is so inappropriate.  . . . . . A dry white wine would be more suitable for a simple baked chicken.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2016, 21:43:57 »
Thanks for nothing

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2016, 22:10:47 »
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,101214.msg1055803.html#msg1055803

30 seconds on Google. You're welcome for nothing.

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2016, 23:21:46 »

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2016, 03:54:46 »
That is so inappropriate.  . . . . . A dry white wine would be more suitable for a simple baked chicken.

I'm thinking fava beans and a nice Chianti...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2016, 04:11:37 »
I looovvveeeee reading these threads when they happen!!

They don't happen often, which is what makes this site so great.  And when they do, it honestly puts a smile on my face as I read and watch the sarcasm take over.  Love it.

:pop:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Zenkre

• Rate Post
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2016, 19:38:13 »
Week 11

Offline clans101

• Rate Post
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2016, 18:07:55 »
Great! Thanks

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:00 »
There will be a test.

You will be put in a room with a knife, a chicken and a dummy representing an enemy soldier.

If you the kill the "enemy" using only the chicken, paint yourself in it's blood and then proceed to use the knife to cut the rim off your bush cap then you will go to Wainwright.

If you kill the "enemy" with the knife and then try to get the chicken's phone number you will go to Meaford.

That... was... AWESOME!!!! I peed a little!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2016, 12:34:46 »
There will be a test.

An RN friend of mine told me of a similar test for joining the Royal Marines.  The test consists of placing a banana on a table in the centre of the interview room.  If the candidate enters the room and eats the banana, he can be a Royal Marine.  If the candidate peels it first and then eats it, he can be a Royal Marine officer.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline MikeApplying

• Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2017, 22:24:00 »
If someone passes their BMQ and Officer qualification but then does not succeed in infantry school, what would happen to that person most likely? Would they be assigned somewhere else that they're qualified for? Or allowed to go through as a NCM? Or simply discharged and sent back to civilian life?

I applied for Armour Officer and Infantry Officer as my second choice. I know both are very hard, and I think I am more likely go get Infantry Officer since my spatial skills aren't really great and I have heard you need a high score on the spatial reasoning section to get armour. I have heard that the infantry is extremely hard. It just sounds as if you have to be the toughest sort of person imaginable to succeed and most fail. I have a lot of heart and a lot of determination, but what if that isn't good enough? Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?
Recruiting Centre: London, ON Detachment
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: DEO Officer
Trade Choice 1: MARS
Trade Choice 2: Intelligence
Application Date: February 3, 2017
CFAT: March 21, 2017
Interview: May 1, 2017
Medical Exam: May 1, 2017
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2017, 22:46:21 »
You go to the Armoured  Corps......
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2017, 22:47:34 »
Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?

Why not worry about passing one thing at a time?

Five minutes ago you were worried about passing CFAT.

These may give you an idea,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+fail&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=alrHWOyMNOGM8Qfnw4KwBA&gws_rd=ssl

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 22:52:03 by mariomike »

Offline MikeApplying

• Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2017, 22:54:49 »
Why not worry about passing one thing at a time?

Five minutes ago you were worried about passing CFAT.

These may give you an idea,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+fail&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=alrHWOyMNOGM8Qfnw4KwBA&gws_rd=ssl

Thanks for the link. I'm not really worried about passing the CFAT, I'm confident about the sort of skills the CFAT requires. I'm just a little worried about the time limit, that's all. I like to take my time and basically wanted to know if others have found that they aren't rushed.

It is important to me to have some idea of what might happen if I were to go to infantry school and fail. Of course I am going to try, but I want to be prepared for what might happen. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to be thinking about during the application process.
Recruiting Centre: London, ON Detachment
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: DEO Officer
Trade Choice 1: MARS
Trade Choice 2: Intelligence
Application Date: February 3, 2017
CFAT: March 21, 2017
Interview: May 1, 2017
Medical Exam: May 1, 2017
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2017, 22:59:36 »
See also,

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates 
What happens to people who earn their Basic Military Officer Qualification but don't make it all the way through infantry school? Are they discharged from the forces or are they assigned somewhere else?

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2017, 23:14:45 »
Mariomike hit the nail on the head with recommending that post - I read a number of Technoviking's posts while considering applying as an Infantry Officer - many years later the advice was spot on and continues to inform.  Ask yourself some honest questions about who you are and what kind of person you believe yourself to be - if you are content with the answers and they line up with what he hints at is required for success, you'll be in a good spot for training.  Go in with the mindset to not fail (and do everything in your power to make that happen).  Mental Resilience and an indefatigable nature is possibly the most vital traits you'll need to succeed through infantry training.

So you end up failing Infantry training - many do fail their first time around attempting it.  Depending on the reason why you failed, you will either be given the chance to try it again or will be pushed to remuster into another (likely non-combat arms) career.  If you fail for ethical reasons or dishonesty, you may be asked to leave entirely.  Gagetown (where both the Armoured Infantry Officers conduct their training) is filled with a number of OCdts and 2Lt's in varying stages of completing courses, waiting to try them again, or waiting for a transfer to a different occupation.  In short, it really depends on your performance, attitude toward the training, and willingness to be flexible if you are ultimately unsuccessful in your training.  Also will depend on what the CAF needs and what they are willing to transfer you into (if anything).  I've seen many become NCMs, many change occupations, and still more decide the CAF just isn't a good fit for them and release (or be released).

Best of luck - my only suggestion would be to worry less and prepare more.

Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2017, 00:11:58 »
You become Armour, some have even fallen to the depths of Artillery.

dileas

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:00 »
If someone passes their BMQ and Officer qualification but then does not succeed in infantry school, what would happen to that person most likely? Would they be assigned somewhere else that they're qualified for? Or allowed to go through as a NCM? Or simply discharged and sent back to civilian life?

I applied for Armour Officer and Infantry Officer as my second choice. I know both are very hard, and I think I am more likely go get Infantry Officer since my spatial skills aren't really great and I have heard you need a high score on the spatial reasoning section to get armour. I have heard that the infantry is extremely hard. It just sounds as if you have to be the toughest sort of person imaginable to succeed and most fail. I have a lot of heart and a lot of determination, but what if that isn't good enough? Will I get kicked to the curb by the CAF if I don't make it through infantry school?

They feed them to the 6B courses. It's the circle of life :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2017, 07:59:50 »
Mariomike hit the nail on the head with recommending that post -

I believe the OP is familiar with it.

He posted the same question in that thread, before starting this thread.  :)
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,99437.msg1480039.html#msg1480039
Reply #115
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:11:17 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:50 »

Reply #115

You get to ask a question in one place only, MikeApplying. Duplicate questions are considered to be spam, contrary to the rules to which you agreed while registering. I have removed the other one.

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2017, 18:06:49 »

Reply #115

Hard to keep track when everyone posts everywhere (laughs).  Hopefully the thread was useful for the OP.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)