Author Topic: Leo 2 distribution  (Read 38490 times)

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Leo 2 distribution
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 22:13:38 »
"Inevitably" is a strong word. Who has talked about 2 x 5? I would certainly argue against going to three tanks in a troop instead of four.

In any case, the suggestion being discussed here is not to cut tanks. It is to have four squadrons in the RCAC instead of three squadrons with the same number of tanks (we would need to come up with two or three SHQ tanks though, plus an additional echelon).

I don't think it is, because all things change, but it's also just an opinion.

No one was talking about it. Read it again. 'it's only a matter of time before someone tries to lead change by making it something like 2 x 5 tank troops.

Quite simply, just a permutation for example sake.

Beside which, I think you missed my point completely.

Let me rephrase.

'Be careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.'

Like I also said. I have no dog in this race and really am not concerned how things end up. Just making a simple observation based on my over 35 years, with over 30 of that in the Corp, saying that once the clock gets turned up, it's hard to turn it back if it's a mistake.

Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 22:40:16 »
Well, someone could propose an Armoured Corps of wheel DFS vehicles, but getting in the weeds of doomsday scenarios isn't what the thread is about.  We are talking about two viable ways for distributing the tanks we know we're going to get and the relative merits of both options.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 22:47:14 »
I don't think it is, because all things change, but it's also just an opinion.

No one was talking about it. Read it again. 'it's only a matter of time before someone tries to lead change by making it something like 2 x 5 tank troops.

Quite simply, just a permutation for example sake.

Beside which, I think you missed my point completely.

Let me rephrase.

'Be careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.'

Like I also said. I have no dog in this race and really am not concerned how things end up. Just making a simple observation based on my over 35 years, with over 30 of that in the Corp, saying that once the clock gets turned up, it's hard to turn it back if it's a mistake.

I raised the number of 2x5 precisely because you seemingly introduced that argument as a reason to avoid debate on squadron size.

People can suggest things, and we should debate suggestions on the merits of those suggestions.

There has been some flucuation in recent years with sqn size. What is more, tanks were going out of the inventory - now they are back. All that to say that things can change in a variety of ways. I don't look for change for changes' sake, but I don't think that we should freeze ourselves in time to avoid some inevitable slide to doom.
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 22:50:57 »
I raised the number of 2x5 precisely because you seemingly introduced that argument as a reason to avoid debate on squadron size.

People can suggest things, and we should debate suggestions on the merits of those suggestions.

You misunderstood the intent. I apologise for being, seemingly, obtuse.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 05:57:09 »
For what its worth, I favour the four-troop squadron. How's that for obtuse! I just recognize the advantages for the tank force as a whole with a three-troop organization if it lets us form another operational squadron. It would permit more balance across the Corps, give greater depth for Afghan-style force generation and enable forming BGs with two or three tank squadrons will still keeping something back for the next show. It could also curtail the pernicious habit of habitually forming half-squadrons.

Recognizing the advantages of a course of action, though, does not mean that I favour it. There would indeed be disadvantages in the form of more "overhead" in terms of SHQ/Admin Tp. Tactically each squadron would indeed face disadvantages as well. I can see the point that going to a three Troop squadron could be interpreted as a step-back that could lead to further reductions, but I don't see that as a deciding factor as long as the force as a whole stays the same size.

In any case its all just a thought exercise here!

Cheers
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 20:53:05 »
I just can't wait to see a tank Sqn actually operate without a CP again, nor be tied to a piece of ground.

The world will come to an end!!!         ::)

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf