Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]  (Read 622174 times)

Offline pthebeau

• Rate Post
  • 2 is better than 1, in various subjects
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]
« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2012, 07:58:11 »
Jim's right, there's not much one here regarding electronics during Basic anymore....either the thread needs split, or put back on topic.

Agreed.  I'd say delete everything from mid-page 15 onwards, but I quite enjoyed the excellent lessons being taught to the self-pitying.
I'll go ahead and put things back on topic.

According to the CFLRS guide, you are allowed cell phones on weekends of weeks 1, 2 and 3.  (Does that include Friday after hours?)
You are then allowed cell phones on evenings after 6 for the remaining weeks, and are allowed other electronics on the weekend.
This is, of course, if there are no restrictions imposed onto you or your platoon.

My question that I would like insight on:
I'm going to bring my cell phone, but I was also considering bringing a Tablet.  My intention was to use it for Skype on the weekends for a quick chat with my girlfriend or parents, with the luxury of video (since I don't have Face Time, being on Android).  It is indeed a luxury and can easily be dispensed. However, I thought the Tablet may come in handy (like waiting around in Trudeau, more down time than expect on weekends, light bathroom reading, etc...).  Am I better off leaving it at home?

I understand that "civy lockup" is where your luggage and personal belongings are stored.  Is that what people refer to as "personal kit"?

Cheers!

Pat

Offline half-pint

• Rate Post
« Reply #401 on: October 08, 2012, 22:44:32 »

I did basic back in the early 2000's (when it was still called BOTC). I don't even think I had a cell phone then and I survived just fine. My husband just completed BMQ last summer and was in one of the only platoons that were not allowed the use of electronics in the first 4 weeks and after that, only on weekends. All the other platoons were allowed total access to their electronics. My husband and I, especially my husband, live on our phones. HOWEVER, we survived just fine and I actually think it made the times we could talk and our letters to each other more special. There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart. I know of at least two who have VRed since. I'm of the opinion of many others on here; basic is a place where you are faced with the extremes to see how you can handle it. If you cannot handle being apart for 4 months of training, how are you going to handle being deployed in a war zone where you can't check in every evening because rounds are flying past your head?!?  You may not like it, but IMHO, that's the military, so deal with it. Listen, I may have to do basic again in a few weeks and I was/am completely prepared to be incommunicado for a few months. Just my  :2c:

:moose:

aesop081

« Reply #402 on: October 08, 2012, 23:21:49 »
There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart.

They should have been released immediately. I would prefer "released and tarred & feathered" but I have to manage my expectations.

I know of at least two who have VRed since.

Good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 23:27:00 by CDN Aviator »

Offline MeatheadMick

• Rate Post
« Reply #403 on: October 09, 2012, 00:26:57 »
They should have been released immediately. I would prefer "released and tarred & feathered" but I have to manage my expectations.

Good.

Oh CA you bitter bitter person :)  I like it.
-- “There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.”

Sir Winston Churchill

aesop081

« Reply #404 on: October 09, 2012, 00:33:53 »
Oh CA you bitter bitter person :)  I like it.

I'm not bitter, just very confident of my understanding of the realities of this line of work.

Crusty, maybe.........

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #405 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:31 »
There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart.

Am I supposed to beleive that?  I am sure someone probably got special leave, but I doubt it had anything to do with them not being able to deal with the separation.  Either way there is something missing.

As for electronics on BMQ, let them.  I had electronics on mine, a big fat yellow Sony Walkman, I also had the services of a payphone if I wanted to call I had time to call.  I think having the guys/gals piss away their time on BMQ with electronics is an excellent way to weed people out, because they won't make it.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #406 on: October 09, 2012, 12:00:07 »
Am I supposed to beleive that?  I am sure someone probably got special leave, but I doubt it had anything to do with them not being able to deal with the separation.  Either way there is something missing.

Yea, I call bullshit.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2012, 12:05:39 »

There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart. I know of at least two who have VRed since.

I'm thinking hubby doesn't have all the facts. I would bet that it was something a little more serious than not being able to handle being apart.
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

Offline ExquisitelyChic

• Rate Post
« Reply #408 on: October 21, 2012, 12:55:46 »
I'm just a spouse and I don't see what happens behind the scenes, but I like the cell phone policy they currently have in place. I don't know what I'd do if right off the bat I couldn't hear from my fiance until the first 5 weeks were over. I know it's a matter of "if you can't handle that, good luck with the rest of it" BUT its particularly tough when your first impression of the military is so rough. Not being able to see him is bad enough, but he and I wouldn't be able to make it through this if we couldn't talk, and I'm sure that if I told him I couldn't do it anymore he'd quit. I think it's good, maybe not on the work side of things, but for sure on the family side. Anything to help the spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends/children out is a good thing I think, happy family = harder working recruit.

Not to mention, although they're allowed their devices, it's still strict. During the first 5 weeks they can only use their phones for a half hour a day, no pictures allowed, period, after the 5 weeks I can't really tell what the rules are, neither can my fiance so he calls me for the half hour they were allowed before. Most of the guys, in his section at least, follow the rules. If they break the rules they are reprimanded by having their phones taken for a few days, a week, etc etc.

Offline AshleyK

• Rate Post
« Reply #409 on: January 04, 2013, 00:54:20 »
On my BMQ/BMQ-L I was at LFAATC Aldershot. Technology was allowed on your free time from the very beginning of the course. A new feature that had been recently installed in barracks and the junior ranks mess... Wifi! It was surprising, but not a luxury you had much time to enjoy.
The barracks in Aldershot aren't cellphone friendly. Making a phone-call involved hanging out the window or going outside - but let's face it - you don't have much time. A five-minute phone call home was really all the time you had - if that.
The instructors all had cellphones and used them quite frequently. Many people on course (myself included) were brave to keep their cellphones in their pockets for some entertainment during break times. Just as long as you kept them on silent and the instructors didn't catch you with them out any other time, you were fine.
I think allowing technology on basic training is good as long as they don't interfere with training - a couple phone-calls home to hear family/friends' encouragement gives you that extra morale boost some days. Kept me going more than once during BMQ-L.

Offline west_coaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #410 on: January 04, 2013, 18:19:06 »
I am 38, and I will be in basic training this yr. So, you are telling me that I will be allowed to have my cell on me at certain times of training? I can understand if you are having a break or it is time to relax so you can message family quickly. Other than that, recruites should not have their phones or any electronic devices on them at all.

Offline secondchance

• Rate Post
« Reply #411 on: January 04, 2013, 21:09:29 »
Usually it is time after 6 p.m. when you return back after classes.
I'm saying about CFLRS.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #412 on: January 04, 2013, 21:46:39 »
I am 38, and I will be in basic training this yr. So, you are telling me that I will be allowed to have my cell on me at certain times of training? I can understand if you are having a break or it is time to relax so you can message family quickly. Other than that, recruites should not have their phones or any electronic devices on them at all.

Then be an example and leave yours in the barracks, it's a privilege, not a requirement.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #413 on: January 04, 2013, 23:53:13 »

The instructors all had cellphones and used them quite frequently.

Which in my opinion they shouldn't if the rules are candidates can't either.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2013, 00:09:05 »
The instructors aren't under an indoc period though so....
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #415 on: January 05, 2013, 00:12:06 »
The instructors aren't under an indoc period though so....

No but I still think it looks bad.
'You guys need to learn to live without your cell phones, one sec I have a text'.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #416 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:04 »
Hmmm, true that.  From that perspective, not in front of the course seems to be appropriate.

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #417 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:35 »
Hmmm, true that.  From that perspective, not in front of the course seems to be appropriate.

Fair enough but I am sure that there are times when actual course coordination is going on through texting. I've never taught at CFLRS but I can see how in such a large building it would be much easier to text back and forth between instructors to coordinate.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #418 on: January 05, 2013, 09:31:55 »
True that too...when I was there, it was a PITA to run from down by Wpns or Supply to the bullpen (B Div at the time, across from the Canex/next to the Mess).

**  ESPECIALLY for coffee and toast at 10!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:44:31 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Pandora114

• Rate Post
« Reply #419 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:46 »
Not gonna bring my gadgets.  I don't have a cell phone, but I have an Ipad and a laptop.  Both are staying home, if I don't have that stuff I won't be distracted from doing what needs to be done.  I know me.  Family can live without hearing from me for a bit. Will do em good. 

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #420 on: January 05, 2013, 23:07:37 »
Being on the outside (in the recruitment process) it's hard for me to gauge the full impact either for or against this change (or any policy change for that matter).  But I can definitely understand why there is so much contention with the issue among longer-serving personnel.

All I know is that when I first brought my intentions of applying to the CF forward (to my husband & family), we were all under the impression that communication would be scarce during BMQ and probably afterwards for quite a while during subsequent training, getting my feet wet, etc., or if I'm deployed.  I never thought for a minute that I would be allowed to text, message, carry a cell or what-have-you and always pictured BMQ as being do-what-you're-told-when-and-only-when, and nothing more.  This was not the easiest of decisions, because of the fact that I have a young one and knew that the separation would not only be difficult for me but for him as well.

Anyway, my point is that I knew what I was getting into before I applied.  I was well aware that there may be periods of time where it won't be feasible to contact family--and that it may even be lengthy.  I'm unclear as to what people are expecting?  If you join the Military, Military comes first--that's what I've been told and what I understand. In addition to this, I don't want to be distracted.  And I'll be totally honest, if I'm successful I don't want to screw up in any way or do anything that will bring negative attention in my direction if I can help it.  I'm expecting it to be hard. I'm expecting it to be lonely. I'm expecting it to test me--that's what I thought I was signing up for. If the CF has functioned this long without cell phones at BMQ, why do they need to change that?

(If there's some sort of family emergency, they can contact you in some fashion anyway, can't they? Maybe not, I don't know, but I personally don't agree with having personal electronic devices while at BMQ/on course. Tthat's just my personal  :2c:)
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline 0010bravo

• Rate Post
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2013, 01:18:47 »
I'm happy to have a cell phone while in basic. Like many I have kids and this is going to be hard on them. Using it in the evenings for five minute face time can go along way in morale for me and at home.. Other than that the phone stays in a box and will not be carried around.

Offline half-pint

• Rate Post
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2013, 11:46:53 »
Being on the outside (in the recruitment process) it's hard for me to gauge the full impact either for or against this change (or any policy change for that matter).  But I can definitely understand why there is so much contention with the issue among longer-serving personnel.

All I know is that when I first brought my intentions of applying to the CF forward (to my husband & family), we were all under the impression that communication would be scarce during BMQ and probably afterwards for quite a while during subsequent training, getting my feet wet, etc., or if I'm deployed.  I never thought for a minute that I would be allowed to text, message, carry a cell or what-have-you and always pictured BMQ as being do-what-you're-told-when-and-only-when, and nothing more.  This was not the easiest of decisions, because of the fact that I have a young one and knew that the separation would not only be difficult for me but for him as well.

Anyway, my point is that I knew what I was getting into before I applied.  I was well aware that there may be periods of time where it won't be feasible to contact family--and that it may even be lengthy.  I'm unclear as to what people are expecting?  If you join the Military, Military comes first--that's what I've been told and what I understand. In addition to this, I don't want to be distracted.  And I'll be totally honest, if I'm successful I don't want to screw up in any way or do anything that will bring negative attention in my direction if I can help it.  I'm expecting it to be hard. I'm expecting it to be lonely. I'm expecting it to test me--that's what I thought I was signing up for. If the CF has functioned this long without cell phones at BMQ, why do they need to change that?

(If there's some sort of family emergency, they can contact you in some fashion anyway, can't they? Maybe not, I don't know, but I personally don't agree with having personal electronic devices while at BMQ/on course. Tthat's just my personal  :2c:)

I think you're the prime example of someone who has planned and thought this career choice through.  I think what most people on here are trying to articulate is that BMQ/BMOQ is a tool to measure one's suitability in a military environment.  If you cannot handle being incommunicado for the 5 week indoctrination  period, what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.  I commend you for preparing yourself and your family for the worst case scenario and for the sometimes hard military life.  It sounds like you have a great support system and I just wish more people thought like you, then maybe we'd have less people VRing.   

Offline zander1976

• Rate Post
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2013, 15:51:51 »
I love my wife but I know that without the limited contact I would find BMQ very difficult (She will complain and I will feel bad). We both need the time apart to get prepared for the change. The separation will force my wife to become less dependent on me so in the future I won't be getting calls about the bug that just ran across the floor.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2013, 16:12:58 »
I know I'll hate myself for posting in here, but......
.......what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.

Could you provide one example, preferably from actual military experience rather than "a friend's dead uncle had heard," of someone going five months completely incommunicado and not knowing if a spouse was alive or dead.