Author Topic: Wearing Uniform in Public (Cadets)  (Read 91751 times)

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
Re: In public in Uniform...
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:30 »
It is harder to get a razor sharp crease out of them than the wool DEU pants, its like ironing the NCD pants.
Our CF uniform is tailored, while the Cadet Uniform is not, so there is alot more adjusting. The drape can only truly be fixed by good tailoring.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:36:32 by Get Nautical »

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:16 »
The material changed around 2000-2001. More synthetic and indeed harder to keep a crease.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:26 »
Recycled pop bottle. Way to stay green then!!  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:50 »
The material changed around 2000-2001. More synthetic and indeed harder to keep a crease.
Turn them inside out, and run a bar of soap down the inside of the crease -- not a lot, just a line -- then turn them right-side-out and iron.
Don't vote?  Don't complain.   www.elections.ca

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:19 »
I've tried the old soap, masking tape etc. didn't like using it, or starch on the shirts. Ironing the cooks whites everyday for work, gets you pretty good with an Iron. For the polyester pants, should of had the tailor stitch in the crease.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:48:33 by Get Nautical »

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:42 »
Turn them inside out, and run a bar of soap down the inside of the crease -- not a lot, just a line -- then turn them right-side-out and iron.

The problem I found when I tried this with my cadet uniform, was that the soap would bleed through and leave a white trace on the pant. Starch was also no good as it made the pants shiny. The best solution I found was lots of water, steam, and pressure. It's slightly more difficult then ironing my DEU, but not much. The problem I always found was trying to deal with all the excess material that has to be tucked away in the back.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Winston Churchill

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 16:42:17 »
Through cadets and regular sewing, I've become an old hand at it. I have tailored my own uniform (nipping in at the waist, out at the hips for trousers, out in  the but, in at the waist for gunshirts, ect....), and sometimes offer it at my corp depending on the time I have.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 16:58:57 »
Through cadets and regular sewing, I've become an old hand at it. I have tailored my own uniform (nipping in at the waist, out at the hips for trousers, out in  the but, in at the waist for gunshirts, ect....), and sometimes offer it at my corp depending on the time I have.

As A Commanding Officer and a Father of a Daughter this post is wrong on so many levels.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 17:11:03 »
As A Commanding Officer and a Father of a Daughter this post is wrong on so many levels.

No worries; I can cook too!! Just took the fresh baked brotchen out of my oven and spent last week sewing up the daughter's prom dress. She too can cook, sew, clean and, as an added bonus, pack a mean punch.  ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 17:16:45 »
No worries; I can cook too!! Just took the fresh baked brotchen out of my oven and spent last week sewing up the daughter's prom dress. She too can cook, sew, clean and, as an added bonus, pack a mean punch.  ;D
Not what I meant and you know it.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 17:19:53 »
Not what I meant and you know it.

Then what does being the father of a daughter have to do with it? I am the mother of a daughter. There's nothing wrong or improper in her knowing how to do, or actually doing, any of these things.

Note that I am also the mother of a son; he too can do all of these things. And, the father of that boy would tell you there's nothing wrong with his knowing how to do so either.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 17:27:39 »
1. a cadet making alterations to the uniform mybe because it doesn't fit. hits to the CO in me.
2. a female cadet making alterations to the uniform maybe because it doesn't fit or to make it fit tighter.hits the father in me.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 17:33:49 »
1. a cadet making alterations to the uniform mybe because it doesn't fit. hits to the CO in me.
2. a female cadet making alterations to the uniform maybe because it doesn't fit or to make it fit tighter.hits the father in me.

#1 is fine and that should hit the CO in you ... or ... the Sup Tech in me.

But, there is no evidence that #2 is ocurring or that it was even inferred in the sense of "making it tighter".  Sad fact is, for girls ... especially ones with larger butts and smaller waists / big shoulders with smaller chests ... off the rack garments provided by the CF just don't fit us properly. Every set of DEU pants that I've been issued has to be taken in at said waist else I could shove both arms in the gap there while they'd fit my butt perfectly. My shirts are huge in the chest in order to fit my shoulders. It's a fact of life that most girls live with while most boys don't.

Ever gone jean shopping with your wife? I have yet to find a pair that fits me properly.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 17:35:30 »

It doesn't fit right, and I altered it to fit right. There's another thread about this...

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,102708.0.html

I wouldn't alter it to make it tighter though... I cut some material and hemmed the bottom of the gunshirt, to make it shorter, but it was hanging around my knees. I brought it up to mid-thigh. Less to tuck in. Also, the pants are designed for guys straight-ish bodies, not the female's curves. It just didn't fit right. Now it's as comfortable as can be, and looks the exact same as all the others. Gunshirts have no give in the chest, let it out, tuck the wait in, equals less to belt up, less bulk, less heat, and less chance of passing out on parade.

Also, on offering the same services to the other females, I do the same thing. Less bulk, fits proper, more comfortable. Once the Cadet program comes out with either a tailoring service, or a uniform line for females (see link), I will continue with it.

EDIT: To add afterthought...  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 17:39:02 by RemembranceDay »

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 17:37:22 »
It doesn't fit right, and I altered it to fit right. There's another thread about this...

I wouldn't alter it to make it tighter though... I cut some material and hemmed the bottom of the gunshirt, to make it shorter, but it was hanging around my knees. I brought it up to mid-thigh. Less to tuck in. Also, the pants are designed for guys straight-ish bodies, not the female's curves. It just didn't fit right. Now it's as comfortable as can be, and looks the exact same as all the others. Gunshirts have no give in the chest, let it out, tuck the wait in, equals less to belt up, less bulk, less heat, and less chance of passing out on parade.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Been there, still there, and still doing it.  :-\
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

aesop081

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 17:45:43 »
Everyone loves a sailor!

Everyone, except the Navy.

The RCN hates its sailors. It's the only possible explanation.

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 17:53:36 »
I wish that the Cadet program would do away with its 70's style collars on the tunic.

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 17:55:55 »
I wish that the Cadet program would do away with its 70's style collars on the tunic.

Well, we use STU's for the most part now, save CD's... I like the collars...

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 18:02:25 »
#1 is fine and that should hit the CO in you ... or ... the Sup Tech in me.

But, there is no evidence that #2 is ocurring or that it was even inferred in the sense of "making it tighter".  Sad fact is, for girls ... especially ones with larger butts and smaller waists / big shoulders with smaller chests ... off the rack garments provided by the CF just don't fit us properly. Every set of DEU pants that I've been issued has to be taken in at said waist else I could shove both arms in the gap there while they'd fit my butt perfectly. My shirts are huge in the chest in order to fit my shoulders. It's a fact of life that most girls live with while most boys don't.

Ever gone jean shopping with your wife? I have yet to find a pair that fits me properly.
Vern I do, I really do understand, but she is my first and only girl and she starts school this year and the 5 yo down the street is showing intrest in her. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to start modifying her clothes yet.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 18:03:31 »
Vern I do, I really do understand, but she is my first and only girl and she starts school this year and the 5 yo down the street is showing intrest in her. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to start modifying her clothes yet.

The 5 YO; ready your shotgun - it gets worse with age!! No worries yet though as she's only at the "he has germs" stage.  :o
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 18:06:35 »

Also, on offering the same services to the other females, I do the same thing. Less bulk, fits proper, more comfortable. Once the Cadet program comes out with either a tailoring service, or a uniform line for females (see link), I will continue with it.

EDIT: To add afterthought...  :facepalm:
Sorry I may have accused you of doing something you have not. back in my cadet days 78-84 it was common for the female's to tighten the uniform.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 18:08:04 »
Well, we use STU's for the most part now, save CD's... I like the collars...

http://www.rcsccharwood.com/uploads/9/0/2/2/9022035/stu_guidance_-_sep_2011_-_en_-_final.pdf

So NCD's are STU's?, CD's is the Cadet Dress Uniform?

Do you wear the "STU" on regular parade nights or only on excercise's

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 18:08:10 »

Sure it's not my little brother? LOL, but I don't blame you for being protective. My father is too, and I love him for it.... He actually (jokingly) said to my boyfriend (first, only, and now ex) that he would get out MY gun.... (Daisy 853c).

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 18:11:39 »
Sure it's not my little brother? LOL, but I don't blame you for being protective. My father is too, and I love him for it.... He actually (jokingly) said to my boyfriend (first, only, and now ex) that he would get out MY gun.... (Daisy 853c).

and shoot him in the eye at point blank range, strike his face with the butt of the rifle?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 18:14:17 by Get Nautical »

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 18:21:04 »
and shoot him in the eye at point blank range, strike his face with the butt of the rifle?

Precisely.