Author Topic: Questions about Artillery NCM duties and career progression  (Read 57371 times)

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Re: Questions about Artillery NCM duties and career progression
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 11:26:44 »
hahaha , I'm trying to look into Shilo on the internet , it seems pretty much like and Army City.  Nothing in the city other than the CFB itself and the PMQ's lol. 

Anyone here ever lived there ??? how does it compare to Pete and Valcartier ?
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 11:40:05 »
Brandon is closest town.  University of Brandon and lots of Indian Reserves.  Winnipeg is a longer drive than Pet to Ottawa.  Arctic Warfare is often conducted there as at times it may be colder than up in the Arctic.  Manitoba Floods happen often along the Souris and Red Rivers.  Lots of gigantic farms and open spaces.  Good Military Vehicle Collection at Base Museum.  Lots of sand.

Those are some of the things you can expect to find in Shilo.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 11:42:37 »
Okay so , it's basically like Quebec City lol , Very cold in the winter , Very hot in the summer.  Quebec tho would be more visitor and friendly attractive since Valcartier is a 20 minute drive from Quebec City Downtown.

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:36 »
Oh boy!  Here come the Shilo jokes!  :pop:

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:24 »
Oh boy!  Here come the Shilo jokes!  :pop:

Why do I feel that Shilo is the least favorite posting for an Arty Officer lol , I might be wrong , but that's the current feel I have hahah.  I would of loved to be in Alberta , but there is no Arty posting there :(

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:49 »
Why do I feel that Shilo is the least favorite posting for an Arty Officer lol , I might be wrong , but that's the current feel I have hahah.  I would of loved to be in Alberta , but there is no Arty posting there :(

Its a least favourite posting for anyone. Its in the middle of nowhere, massive temperature extremes, and I'm positive mosquitoes are grown for all of Canada in the Shilo training area.

Offline GnyHwy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 12:00:41 »
For social life, which I am assuming you are asking about, Shilo isn't much different than Pet.  In fact Shilo may have an advantage as Brandon is a decent size city, where Pet has Pembroke which is much smaller.  For nearest big cities, Ottawa is better than Winnipeg.  For climate, Shilo winters are extremely cold, but the summer is dry and free of sweating to death in 30 deg heat.

If you are looking for a social life and you can speak French well, then Valcartier is really nice.  Quebec city is awesome, and close by!

From a training perspective, they are all comparable, but Shilo does offer a larger and more flexible training area.

Don't forget about Gagetown either, there are plenty of positions for Arty Os there too! 

Offline GnyHwy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 12:03:22 »
Its a least favourite posting for anyone. Its in the middle of nowhere, massive temperature extremes, and I'm positive mosquitoes are grown for all of Canada in the Shilo training area.

That's not true.  The persons who have been there and hate it probably never gave it fair shake or wouldn't be happy anywhere.

It also may hold true as a myth for people that have never been there, but there are plenty of people that love Shilo and consider it home; and no, they are not retarded.  ;D

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 12:09:54 »
That's not true.  The persons who have been there and hate it probably never gave it fair shake or wouldn't be happy anywhere.

It also may hold true as a myth for people that have never been there, but there are plenty of people that love Shilo and consider it home; and no, they are not have yet to realize they are retarded.  ;D

:blotto:
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 12:15:34 »
I do speak fluent french. I'm currently living in Trois-Rivières Quebec.  It's an hour away from Valcartier. The thing is , I'd spent like my last 7 to 8 years in Quebec , and I also lived in Ottawa for 3-4 years.  That's why I'm trying to move somewhere else.

I also want a place where I could speak english on a regular basis.  My brother AND father In-Law were both at Valcartier with the r22r ( my brother in-law is still currently serving with the 3rd battalion in Valcartier ).  That's why I would look into some changes ! lol

but yeah Gagetown might be good , I'll have to check !

Offline GnyHwy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 12:32:41 »
Gagetown is bilingual, and you will have an advantage there. 

If you are looking for something entirely new, go to Shilo.  Even though it is geographically in the center of Canada, you are a fairly close (12 hrs) to places like Calgary and Edmonton, and the Rockies, which are all pretty awesome.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 12:47:35 »
yeah , anyways I'll have to check once I'm there , but I still wanted to make sure what were the possibility !

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:50 »
It's funny to see the reaction of my girlfriend when I told her , that Artillery had 4 postings.  I told her the 4 places she was like ..... yeah that's not fun haha ! she's been in Valcartier for the most part of her life ( dad was a Master Warrant at the r22r ).  She hated Gagetown , eventhought she only was there for a couple of months.  Like I told her , when we'll get there , that's not our say.  If the forces wants me in Valcartier , that's where I'll go , if they want me in Shilo , then off we go.  But she was kind of disappointed that there were no BC or AB lol

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:10 »
It does not matter where you get posted, it's what you do with it. Some hunker down and bemoan their fate, others get out and about, see what's there, find what they like, explore......turns out pretty good overall.... :2c:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 10:33:26 »
Yeah I don't want to see it as a bad thing , I mean I'll go wherever they ask me to , and I'll do what I have to do wherever , Of course I would like to see new places ( who wouldn't ? ) but I mean , my primary job is to be a good Arty officer , that's all I care about.  You can be in the perfect place a meet very boring people and actually hate the living hell out of it.  You can also be in a really boring place but meet really interesting peeps and just have the time of your life !

Like you said , it's not where you are , but what you do once you are there that will determine if you enjoyed your time or not !

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 23:38:22 »
Man, I don't know what I'd do posted way out there. I almost/kind of/maybe considered the regular force instead of the PR, but as a Torontonian I think I'd go stir crazy in a place like Petawawa (hope that doesn't offend any Petawawans).

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 08:39:20 »
Man, I don't know what I'd do posted way out there. I almost/kind of/maybe considered the regular force instead of the PR, but as a Torontonian I think I'd go stir crazy in a place like Petawawa

You might be surprised to know there's lots of things to do outside the "Big Smoke".  I am currently in TO but did ten years in Pet.  And it wasn't all bad.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Razynwar

• Rate Post
Posting locations?
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 23:15:56 »
Is there anywhere to find out where I will possibly be posted? I'm applying for Artillery soldiers and my interview tips say I should know where I could possibly be posted.

Thanks!

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: Posting locations?
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 23:34:05 »
Apologies for the step into the Recruiting forum - but we've already answered this question somewhat recently:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104289.0

Searched for: "army.ca artillery soldier" posting on google.  It was also the 5th option doing a search for "Artillery Soldier" here on this very site.  Both took very little time and actually doing the legwork yourself to answer the questions saves everyone (including the recruiters here) from hand-feeding you answers.  Initiative and problem solving for yourself matters, especially in our line of work.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: Posting locations?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:11 »

Offline MattGotts

• Mo'litia Mo' problems
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 01:54:58 »
In reference to Z BTY , what does a whole battery of forward observers do? Is it really a battery sized unit or is it just 2 separate FOO parties?

P.S. Shilo is the best. The only place in Canada that I have found lizards, cactus, shag-nasty poison ivy, and IG's all in one place. Shilo only grows stronger the more hatred it senses.
Ubique!