Author Topic: 6 Feb 12: Charges laid against CIC officer  (Read 66587 times)

Offline Teeps74

• Rate Post
Re: Military Police lay charges against a member of the CIC
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:18 »
I'll have to call you on this comment. Maybe you should have qualified this with "to the best of my knowledge".
I know of one other and there be others I'm not aware of.
St. John Ambulance Cadets are a free youth organization. No cost to participate. Money is never required to participate.

Why is it I always forget the SJA cadets? My girlfriend is going to kill me for that. And fair enough... A belated "as far as I know...".

The cadet program has it's issues, but but it is a good program because of the volunteers (in and out of uniform).

Further, SJA and CF Cadets, are free by default. No need for sponsorship.
"... to fight and conquer in all your battles
    is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists
    in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Bumped ....
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 19:01:30 »
.... with the latest:
A court martial is expected to begin (Monday) at CFB Esquimalt, west of Victoria, for a cadet instructor who faces several charges.

Captain Daniel Moriarity is accused of sexual exploitation, sexual interference and sexual assault.

The charges involve two cadets, a 16 year old girl and a boy who was 15 when the alleged assaults began.

Investigators say the attacks allegedly occurred between 2008 and 2011, at the Vernon army camp in the North Okanagan and at the Lt. Gen. Ashton Armoury in Victoria ....
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Found Guilty, Sentencing set for 31 Oct 12
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 19:56:44 »
A military judge has found a former army cadet instructor guilty of three sex-related charges.

The judge found Capt. Daniel Moriarity guilty on two counts of sexual exploitation and one count each of sexual assault at Moriarity’s court martial hearing at CFB Esquimalt on Monday.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged Moriarity in February after he committed crimes against two teenaged cadets at the Lt.-Gen. E.C. Ashton Armoury in Saanich and the Vernon Army Cadet Summer Training Centre.

The incidents occurred between 2008 and 2011. The case was brought forward by the chains of command for the two cadets, who contacted the military police about the allegations.

When the accusations were made, Moriarity was deputy commanding officer of 3005 Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps, which is based at the Ashton Armoury.

Moriarity is slated to be sentenced on Oct. 31. The three charges were laid pursuant to the National Defence Act and Criminal Code of Canada ....
Oak Bay News, 25 Oct 12

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Stand by for sentencing....
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 10:38:16 »
.... according to this news report:
A former B.C. cadet instructor found guilty of sex offences in a court martial will find out his punishment later today.

Capt. Daniel Moriarity was convicted of sexual assault and two other charges in a military court in Esquimalt in October.

The incidents involved a 16-year-old girl and 15-year-old boy between 2008 and 2011 at camps in Vernon and Victoria ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Has been
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Retired!
Re: 6 Feb 12: Charges laid against CIC officer
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 11:58:00 »
Considering the subject it might be a bit petty of me but: the Province article is using a stock pictures of troops in Multicam something else than Cadpat.

Edit: My camo patern recognition skills were lacking.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 21:16:43 by NinerSix »
The process is not the mission.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:21 »
Considering the subject it might be a bit petty of me but: the Province article is using a stock pictures of troops in Multicam.
Good catch - looks more Aussie than Canadian....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline armyguyswife

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 19:20:01 »
ESQUIMALT, B.C. - A military court has sentenced a former deputy commander of the Victoria-based military cadet corps to one year in prison and banished him from the military for sexually abusing teenage cadets.

Twenty-six-year-old Capt. Daniel Moriarity was also demoted to a 2nd Lieutenant by military judge Lt-Col. Louis-Vincent D'auteuil (doe-tay), who says he took advantage of vulnerable young people he was entrusted to lead.

Moriarity was found guilty of sexual exploitation, sexual assault and sexual interference by a military court last October in connection to attacks on a 15-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl in separate incidents at the Vernon, B.C., army camp.

In a joint submission, the military prosecutor and Moriarity's defence lawyer called for the 12-month sentence, rank demotion and military expulsion.

Moments after the judge delivered his sentence, the defence submitted an application to release Moriarity pending the outcome of an appeal.

Moriarity was deputy commanding officer of the Victoria Signal Armoury Cadet Corps 3005 at the time of his arrest.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 19:32:06 »
IMO, his Commission should be striped from him.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 19:35:11 »
IMO, his Commission should be striped from him.

:goodpost:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline armyguyswife

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 23:12:58 »
Stripping him of his commission would take an act of Parliament. Unfortunately.

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Has been
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Retired!
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 00:19:52 »

So because it is hard we don't do it? This is not directed at you armyguyswife, as I presume you would also like to see him stripped of his commission.

FJAG et al, what do we need to do to make this happen?
The process is not the mission.

Offline ArmySailor

• :D
  • Rate Post
  • Living for the good times....
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:30 »
How long does it take for an appeal to happen?

I'm glad its over...........hopefully, we can all move on. It has been a challenge........not everyday that one of your co-workers ends up CM'd.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:29 »
Not quite that much process - GG appears to be able to do it on recommendation from the military, as has been done in the recent past

Given the horrendousness of event that caused this to happen (what appears to be) the first time ever, I doubt it would be easy to build a convincing case in this situation, in spite of how bad an abuse of power this represents.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 08:14:33 »
For what tis worth, any time spent in custody will be quite miserable for him. Not only do the staff if a prison detest sex offenders, the inmates have a pretty well set up tiering system as well. Guess who is on the bottom.....
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:09 »
For what tis worth, any time spent in custody will be quite miserable for him. Not only do the staff if a prison detest sex offenders, the inmates have a pretty well set up tiering system as well. Guess who is on the bottom.....

Yes but, as this was a CM, would the sentence not be served at DB in Edmonton?

And why was this done under a CM anyway when the victims were civilian? Is there some odd loophole because they are cadets? I would have thought this would have gone through civilian courts. Or is it because of where the offences took place? I am quite curious as to why this wasn't dealt with by civilian courts as I have seen in the past.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:53 »
....... I doubt it would be easy to build a convincing case in this situation, in spite of how bad an abuse of power this represents.
I think it would be pretty easy; hell, even the opposition parties would likely buy in rather than risk being seen as supporting a child molester. In a simplistic world where public analysis and understanding of events is barely headline-deep, and based on the Williams' precedent, I can see muck-raking media trumpetting:

DND Says Murdering Subordinates/Wearing their Underwear on Head is Bad;
Diddling Underage Cadets -- Not So Bad

Harper to blame

I think it's a no-brainer to muster public support where the incidents involve protection of minors....unless of course, there appears to be no public interest, in which case the government will simply ignore the Court Martial, rather than do the right thing, in order to minimize further media attention.

Strip his commission!   >:(

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:52 »
How long does it take for an appeal to happen?

I'm glad its over...........hopefully, we can all move on. It has been a challenge........not everyday that one of your co-workers ends up CM'd.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but your comment confuses me.  How exactly are you challenged by your co-worker being CM'd?

Do you perhaps mean the challenge is from the institution you belong to having it's honour image and credibility tarnished by his behavior?  Or challenging by having the trust of your subordinates shaken?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:04 »
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but your comment confuses me.  How exactly are you challenged by your co-worker being CM'd?

Do you perhaps mean the challenge is from the institution you belong to having it's honour image and credibility tarnished by his behavior?  Or challenging by having the trust of your subordinates shaken?
If I remember Army Salior is from the same unit as the Gulty party.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 14:43:23 »
I think it's a no-brainer to muster public support where the incidents involve protection of minors....unless of course, there appears to be no public interest, in which case the government will simply ignore the Court Martial, rather than do the right thing, in order to minimize further media attention.

Strip his commission!   >:(
Don't get me wrong - I'm with you on the idea, but does that mean that'll have to happen to all the others found guilty of this crap in the past?  Go for them, too, but just sayin' about the threshold that was needed for this to happen a first time.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 15:12:39 »

And why was this done under a CM anyway when the victims were civilian? Is there some odd loophole because they are cadets? I would have thought this would have gone through civilian courts. Or is it because of where the offences took place? I am quite curious as to why this wasn't dealt with by civilian courts as I have seen in the past.
He was subject to the CSD at the time the offences were committed and they occurred on a Defence Establishment.  Status of the victims has no bearing.

Offline ArmySailor

• :D
  • Rate Post
  • Living for the good times....
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 17:00:45 »

I can't fully answer that question properly without putting too much information out there.

I don't really worry about the institution's honour/image/credibility - it is strong, it will recover, as it has done before.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 18:35:58 »
So because it is hard we don't do it? This is not directed at you armyguyswife, as I presume you would also like to see him stripped of his commission.

FJAG et al, what do we need to do to make this happen?

Sorry. Not really sure. It shouldn't take an act of parliament as the commission comes from the Queen (Governor General). My view was that the commission (which in effect is an appointment to be her officer in the CF) ran in tandem with service with the forces and a dismissal by a court martial terminated the commission as well. I'm not sure that there is any formal process to strip someone of their commission although I remember in the Williams case apparently his commissioning scroll was to be shredded and his medals cut up.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 18:47:41 »

Either court could have taken jurisdiction. The fact that he could be tried as a reservist means to me that at the time of the offences he was subject to the code of service discipline (ie at a military facility or while he was on duty etc etc) and therefore I would think the civilian crown prosecutor would probably have had no objections to the military dealing with it because the offences were a serious breach of military discipline as well as a crime against the vistims.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 18:57:25 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 18:51:18 »
I'm pretty sure the Governor General could stroll into his house and tear up his scroll.  It's a Queen's Commission, not a Parliamentary one.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:18 »
I can't fully answer that question properly without putting too much information out there.

Fair enough. I just didn't notice you mentioning anything about the victims or the challenges they're facing.

I understand how being a member of the unit you can't really comment. Cheers.
There are no wolves on Fenris