Author Topic: Declining an offer (merged)  (Read 36671 times)

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
Declining an offer (merged)
« on: February 20, 2012, 17:03:04 »
If you decline a job offer, can you pick another trade instead? Would you have to go through the same process again?

Offline Bart905

• Rate Post
  • Respect Is Earned Not Given.
Re: Declining a job offer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 17:09:42 »
There was a post on the same topic not too long ago and some of the more experienced members said that It will not affect you being on the merit list for the other trades u applied for but when you decline and asked to change a trade you will need to be interviewed for that new trade and go on the merit list. Make sure your CFAT score is high enough for the new trade you want to apply for . I'm not sure if CF will allow you to re-write the CFAT to see if you will score high enough for you to apply for that position.

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 17:17:32 »
Why do you want to decline an offer? You have three choices on you application now you don't want any of them?

I was just wondering what would happen.

Also, I heard that some recruiters will suggest a trade for the applicant once he/she finishes writing the CFAT, is that true?

Offline Bart905

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 17:20:26 »
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know. How did the CF first contact you ? Through email or a phone call ?

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 17:35:18 »
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know. How did the CF first contact you ? Through email or a phone call ?

I was first contacted by the CF through email when I first submitted my application last August 2011 after 2 days. Then, I was contacted by my recruiter last week, on February 14 stating that they have reviewed my application and they will forward it to the Toronto Recruiting Office.

I got another email after 2-3 days from the Toronto Recruitment center asking me to come in and provide them with the originals of my transcripts, ID's, security clearance, and reference. They also left a voicemail in my home phone asking me to check my inbox and follow the instructions. Lastly, I went to the recruiting office today to show them my original documents and booked my CFAT on the 28th.

Offline Bart905

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 18:33:43 »
Congratulations .. I applied online on feb 2 2012 looks like I have a long way ahead of me . Hopefully you will get into the trade of your choices good luck . 

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 21:10:28 »
I guess you will find out on Feb 28 and let us know.

Is there something I don't know? I thought April first(ish) is when we should start hearing what's going on. If we are lucky.

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 21:58:06 »
Is there something I don't know? I thought April first(ish) is when we should start hearing what's going on. If we are lucky.

Well, I was told the same thing that I should start hearing what is going on by April. But, when I went to the Recruiting Centre today, I was told that my application is a type "PPR5".

@Bart095:  Thanks! but I believe it is too early to celebrate since I still have to take the CFAT, Physical, Medical, interview and hopefully I pass my security clearance and my references get contacted easily.

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 22:54:29 »
If you decline a job offer, can you pick another trade instead? Would you have to go through the same process again?

However long ago it was, my recruiting file was handled thus:

I generated my three choices, and I was determined suitable or not for those three. As hiring boards sat, my file went to them. Should two occur simultaneously, then my file went to the one I was most suitable for. Should that board decide to generate an offer, my file remained theirs until I turned it down, at which point my file re-entered circulation. That meant in 25 April if armour sat its board and made the offer 10 May, my file wouldn't have been seen by the infantry board 2 May (even though I was more suitable for infantry).

Takeaway: request only trades you are equally willing to accept.

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:19:50 »
@shamrock

I have been wondering how they deal with this. When I originally applied I was told I could t not apply for combat engineer as it was full. Recently, however, I was able to change my 3rd choice to engineer and make it my 1st priority choice. I would very much like engineer above my other two and was wondering if They'd all "select" at the same time or if holding out for engineer would be worth it? I really don't want to wait another year and a half for an offer. I will take any offer I get, but how could I find out when combat engineers get their offer as opposed to vehicle techs? Just so I don't make a wrong choice at the last second and turn down veh tech in hopes that my cbt eng offer is "just around the corner."

Offline Bart905

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:52 »
@shamrock

I have been wondering how they deal with this. When I originally applied I was told I could t not apply for combat engineer as it was full. Recently, however, I was able to change my 3rd choice to engineer and make it my 1st priority choice. I would very much like engineer above my other two and was wondering if They'd all "select" at the same time or if holding out for engineer would be worth it? I really don't want to wait another year and a half for an offer. I will take any offer I get, but how could I find out when combat engineers get their offer as opposed to vehicle techs? Just so I don't make a wrong choice at the last second and turn down veh tech in hopes that my cbt eng offer is "just around the corner."

As a applicant my self I would wait till the trade of my choice opens up due the fact if your serious about an military career, you want to be in a trade your most interested in.I know it takes a long time just to be on the merit list and once you get a offer your thinking like FINALLY and want to jump rite in, too bad military is one of those things thats not easy to quit like a civilian job. Plus it a career , you move up in rank , it has many benefits both for you and your family I would hate to turn something down like that but at the same time I would hate to live with regret if I accepted an offer for a trade I was so what interested in , but then again everyone is different . Just my 2 cents I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 23:38:48 »

You can decline a job offer should you be presented one.  That offer will typically only be for one trade, so if you decline, your file goes back into the pool to wait for your other choices (should you qualify and they are open).

For most trades yes.  Other trades they have been designated as pre-processing trades, so when the new FY starts there is already a pool of applicants for those trades.  CFRG basically staggers what trades its wants/needs, based a whole variety of reasons and sends out direction to the CFRCs on what are priority to get through and what are not.  The PPR score is used in conjuction with this direction.  Its basically a quick way  and simple way (without having to dig through the file) to determine an applicants suitability based on work history, education, physical activity etc, and whether or not you should(can) proceed further in the process.

Offline mmmjon

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:31 »
You can decline a job offer should you be presented one.  That offer will typically only be for one trade, so if you decline, your file goes back into the pool to wait for your other choices (should you qualify and they are open).

For most trades yes.  Other trades they have been designated as pre-processing trades, so when the new FY starts there is already a pool of applicants for those trades.  CFRG basically staggers what trades its wants/needs, based a whole variety of reasons and sends out direction to the CFRCs on what are priority to get through and what are not.  The PPR score is used in conjuction with this direction.  Its basically a quick way  and simple way (without having to dig through the file) to determine an applicants suitability based on work history, education, physical activity etc, and whether or not you should(can) proceed further in the process.

Somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for your VERY precise and informative posts.
Looking through your post history has given me quite a bit of worthy info regarding the application process.

Thank you!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Canadian Forces Applicants Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/366983979998767/

BMQ Nov 5th 2012

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 18:00:26 »
Somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for your VERY precise and informative posts.
Looking through your post history has given me quite a bit of worthy info regarding the application process.

Thank you!

Thanks. 

Offline maplebear

• Rate Post
Declining after accepting job offer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 00:35:28 »
I accepted a job offer about a week ago, right before some family issues came up. It was listed as my first choice. I was wondering if it was possible to decline after accepting an offer and making my second choice my top choice, as I feel it would be better suited to my current situation, ie west coast vs. east coast, number of bases.

I hate to be even thinking about this because I know how lucky I am just to get the call.

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
Re: Declining after accepting job offer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:29 »
Nothing you can deal with?

Offline PrairieThunder

And that\'s why we can\'t have nice things.

• Rate Post
  • For Queen and Country
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:21 »
If you don't want to go, don't, and inform the RC. There's lots of us here that are waiting to get a job offer.

Think real good about this one.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 07:32:45 »
I accepted a job offer about a week ago, right before some family issues came up. It was listed as my first choice. I was wondering if it was possible to decline after accepting an offer and making my second choice my top choice, as I feel it would be better suited to my current situation, ie west coast vs. east coast, number of bases.

I hate to be even thinking about this because I know how lucky I am just to get the call.

The postings would vary according to trade, of course, but you must realize you still may not get the posting you want.  If this "family issue" is something you cannot (or will not) be able to move because of, then yes, decline your offer.  It might even be suggested to withdraw your application.......

If you don't want to go, don't, and inform the RC. There's lots of us here that are waiting to get a job offer.

Think real good about this one.

Exactly, you may not get this chance again.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
I applied last week (mind you, I already had everything completed because of ROTP application earlier in the year)  for 1. Infantry 2. Combat Engineer and 3.  Vehicle Technician.  Got a call today for a 5 year contract for the v-tech trade.  The more I thought about it, I realized I wouldn't be happy doing that for the next 5 years because infantry is where my heart is set.  I figured I would decline and let someone who really wants to be a v-tech accept the offer instead.   The CPL who called me said an MCC(?) would call me later in the day to talk to me about the rejection.  Did I screw up? Will this affect my chances of getting into another trade?

Thanks, Knight13

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
You didn't screw up, you didn't want to do the job.  My advice to you is next time you apply only put a job down you actually want to do.  Nobody ever said you have to put 3 choices down.  When I joined I put Infantry, that was it  ;)

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I applied last week (mind you, I already had everything completed because of ROTP application earlier in the year)  for 1. Infantry 2. Combat Engineer and 3.  Vehicle Technician.  Got a call today for a 5 year contract for the v-tech trade.  The more I thought about it, I realized I wouldn't be happy doing that for the next 5 years because infantry is where my heart is set.  I figured I would decline and let someone who really wants to be a v-tech accept the offer instead.   The CPL who called me said an MCC(?) would call me later in the day to talk to me about the rejection.  Did I screw up? Will this affect my chances of getting into another trade?

Thanks, Knight13

Seems pretty straight forward to me.  Vehicle Tech was your "3rd" choice but your primary interest is "Infantry", so your waiting to do what you "really" want to do, as opposed to something that you won't be happy at.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
I thought I had to put 3 down at first... I should have asked.  During the interview the Captain asked me about the vehicle technician trade and I stuttered because I went into the interview only really prepared for the Combat Engineer and Infantry trade! So this wont hinder my chances of getting another offer?

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
My guess would be , when the MCC calls you today , you just tell them exactly what you told us here , you thought about your 3rd choice , and you couldn't envision yourself doing that for the next X number of years , so you would much rather open a space to someone who would , Don't think this is gonna matter ......

hopefully , everything will be okay , but I wouldn't think its gonna stop you for a career in the army !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Teach17

• Rate Post
I rejected two offers before I got my first choice. If anything I believe it shows that you really want your number 1. No need to worry.

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Thanks e-friends,  I suppose I am just looking for an issue where there isn't one!  What does the MCC ask you when he calls? (what does MCC stand for...if anyone knows)

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
I guess he will ask the reason why , maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim , so maybe try to convince you to take the offer , but if you tell them the same thing you are telling us , it wouldn't be a problem

like I said , this is MY GUESS
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim

One thing I will add is that I think Veh Tech would offer more employment opportunities to you upon release than the other two trades.

But, in the end, the choice is yours and if you really can't see yourself doing that for five years, then you were right to reject the offer.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Bare in mind , that we are not here to convince you of anything , just letting you know the details about it , If you want to go cbt engineer or infantry , and your willing to wait for the opportunity , then do it !

we are just saying the fact of the offer !

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

Edit: When I applied for infantry, the Sgt at the CFRC said there were hundreds of open spots... Is it just the amount of applications that hinder your chances?

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Offline i_want_a_pmq

• Rate Post
Thanks e-friends,  I suppose I am just looking for an issue where there isn't one!  What does the MCC ask you when he calls? (what does MCC stand for...if anyone knows)

Military career counsellor

MikeL

it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:56:21 by -Skeletor- »

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades.

you still shouldn't consider this a career path !

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Military career counsellor

Thanks for the info!

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN.

But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

Offline UnwiseCritic

• Rate Post
But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

If you finished your contract they won't stop you. You will have done your time. But seeing as you have doubts about it... I wouldn't recommend it. The consequences of accepting a job for 5 years that you don't want to do will outweigh turning one down. In your case at the moment it's a non-issue. Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch. Recruiters fill quotas, not look out for your best interests. But they will take your interests into account.
"He who hates correction is stupid!"

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
.... Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch ....
You'll just have to be prepared to wait longer.

Just to reinforce what others here have said, it's possible to change trades, but a quick search of the forums will show many others harping on the same themes:
1)  it can suck doing something you don't want to do waiting to maybe end up doing something you do want to do; and
2)  it'll suck more if (like in many cases) it takes a looooooooong time to VOT - and maybe still come up with an "no" at the end of that road.

Good luck in your efforts!
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
thanks for the info everyone.  The MCC hasn't called yet, so he probably won't call today.  Just gonna keep pushing for infantry

Offline Dark Chivalry

• Rate Post
Declining an offer
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 16:06:57 »
I have received an offer for my second choice on my application form. All the trades I applied for are interesting to me, however I did carefully rank order them. I inquired about my first choice trade and was informed it is closed until the next budget is released (Apr. 1).

If I decline this initial offer, does it take further offers of this trade off the table? When the new budget drops and updated recruiting goals are released, are qualified candidates potentially re-offered jobs? I just don't want to skunk my whole application by potentially holding out for my #1 trade. I want into the CF, and I'd accept this offer if I knew my odds of getting my #1 are/will be nil. I would also accept this same trade if offered again after the new budget is released, because my #1 is closed or not hiring for whatever reason. I also know that #2 is or was high demand this year, I don't know the status of #1 in the past, but it was not high demand this year.

It just seems like waiting a couple of extra months for my #1 is worth it, but not if it compromises everything, including my chances of getting another offer at all.

For reference:
#1 Comm Rsch
#2 ATIS Tech

Any advice or statistics would be greatly appreciated. Has #1 ever been high demand, or are spaces in that trade few and far between as it is?

Offline Captain Mark

• Rate Post
Re: Declining an offer
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 16:07:42 »
Hello Dark Chivalry,

There are approximately thirteen positions for Comm Rsch that will be available in the fiscal year. If you really want that occupation, you can decline your current offer and request to be put back on the merit list for Comm Rsch, when it opens.

You need to speak directly with your recruiter in order to get a better idea on your chances of being accepted for Comm Rsch, when it opens again.

Offline ShadyBrah

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 16:24:34 »
I'll just drop my question here since it's related..

If an offer is declined, how does that affect future offers for the same occupation. For example, I have to turn down my #1 pick for valid reasons, am I able to be put back onto the  merit list down the  road, and will the original declined offer negatively affect my file at all?

Offline Captain Mark

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 09:51:30 »
If you have a valid reason for declining an offer, you can reapply for the same occupation later on. Keep in mind that you will have to re-submit some of the documentation as it will most likely expire.

Offline qwaszxx

• Rate Post
Declining an offer
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 19:23:59 »
Hello,

I applied for the CAF with 2 trade preferences - ACISS and ATIS. I was recently offered a position for ACISS but after some thinking, I decided to decline the employment offer and instead, wait until I receive an offer for ATIS.

Will declining the employment offer automatically close my whole application file and take me off the merit list for ATIS? I didn't clarify with the recruiter that I would like to remain on the merit list for ATIS. Now I'm worried that since I didn't clarify, they would assume I'm no longer interested in the CAF and close my file.

Thanks.

Offline qwaszxx

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 19:25:59 »
Also, to any recruiters that may happen to see this - when is the next selection date for ATIS and how many positions are remaining?

Offline Warrant Officer Robert

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 10:03:39 »
If you are made an offer of employment and choose to reject the offer, you must ask your Recruiting Detachment to have your file re-merit listed for your remaining occupation choices.

While you do have the opportunity to list up to three occupation choices, you must keep in mind that by doing so, means that you are willing to accept an offer of employment for any of the three choices.

Offline Kayona4

• Rate Post
Offer Declined
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 15:05:56 »
Hello.
I recently declined an offer I was given within the forces. I declined because I am terrified of going to sea.
There was no way my offer could have been switched to AF, and that upset me but I understand. Before I made my final decision to decline the offer the recruiter did not seem very impressed that I was leading towards that direction. When I did officially decline she told me she could close my file. That scared me. I asked for it not to be closed because I am very serious about joining but I believe in the end she just accepted my decline. However, she told me I may not get an offer again. Is this true?  I did very well on all aspects of the process. I have confidence I will get the trade and element I am after but it felt like because I declined I wouldn't be offered anything else.

Does declining my offer effect future offers?  My reason was simply I'm terrified of open water. AF or Army, I probably would have accepted. Navy just isn't for me.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Offer Declined
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 10:04:44 »
Hello.
I recently declined an offer I was given within the forces. I declined because I am terrified of going to sea.
There was no way my offer could have been switched to AF, and that upset me but I understand. Before I made my final decision to decline the offer the recruiter did not seem very impressed that I was leading towards that direction. When I did officially decline she told me she could close my file. That scared me. I asked for it not to be closed because I am very serious about joining but I believe in the end she just accepted my decline. However, she told me I may not get an offer again. Is this true?  I did very well on all aspects of the process. I have confidence I will get the trade and element I am after but it felt like because I declined I wouldn't be offered anything else.

Does declining my offer effect future offers?  My reason was simply I'm terrified of open water. AF or Army, I probably would have accepted. Navy just isn't for me.

If you are NOT satisfied with the offer of employment, you can one of two things.  1) Ask if it is possible to have the environmental assignment changed;  or if this is not an option 2) Decline the offer of employment, inform your Recruiting Detachment that you are NOT interested in the Naval Environment and ask that your file be re-merit listed and considered for ONLY Army or Airforce.

You should be put right back on the Merit List and eligible for a future offer but at this time of the year, pickings may be slim, so don't expect anything until mid-Mar or later.

Keep in mind that your chosen occupation is subject to service across all environments of the CF regardless of environmental assignment.    Good luck!

Offline ConstableMurtis

• Rate Post
Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 15:56:20 »
Hi all,

I recently got an offer for Armoured Crewman, with BMQ starting July 25 and enrolment on July 14. Unfortunately, I am not able to comfortably commit 100% because of life circumstances at the moment. If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?
Recruiting Center: Saskatoon/Regina
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Armoured Crewman
Trade Choice 2: Combat Engineer
Trade Choice 3: Artillery Soldier
Application Date: October 9, 2015
Fitness Test completed: October 22, 2015
CFAT completed: November 4, 2015 (PASSED)
Interview/Medical completed: November 19, 2015
Merit Listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Enrollment/swearing in: TBD
BMQ: TBD

Offline Scarlett

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 17:47:24 »
I was made an offer for the May 2nd BMQ. I wasn't able to attend that date due to life circumstances. I asked for a deferral for a later BMQ date and explained my situation. They decided that it was best to have the offer declined and re-merit list me, I was called 6 days later with an offer for the June BMQ which I am able to attend. I would suggest asking for a deferral to a date that you can attend first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 09:22:23 »
Hi all,

I recently got an offer for Armoured Crewman, with BMQ starting July 25 and enrolment on July 14. Unfortunately, I am not able to comfortably commit 100% because of life circumstances at the moment. If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?

You would be in the same position as Scarlett has mentioned above.  If you choose to decline an offer of employment, you must then inform your Recruiting Detachment of what you wish to have done with your current application.  You may either have your application CLOSED (and re-Open it at a later date) or ask to be re-merit listed and considered for an offer of employment at a later date.

Offline FutureMilitaryMan

• Rate Post
Declining An Offer
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 13:29:14 »
First, thank you for taking the time take to read this and possibly get back on this topic.

Basically I was given an offer that I did put on my application that I was interested in at the time, but I no longer am (my application process has been going on a year and a half now).  I have an Electronic Engineering Technician trade, and I wish to pursue a career in that field as a Weapons Technician (Weng Tech I believe), which I also did put on my application. The job I was offered is not in that field and I wish to be able to use the trade I have already been to school for.
I'm more so curious if I decline this offer, will it hurt my chance to hopefully get an offer in the trade I really wish to make my career.

Thanks again for your time.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Declining An Offer
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 14:30:29 »
I'm more so curious if I decline this offer, will it hurt my chance to hopefully get an offer in the trade I really wish to make my career.

See also, in Ask a CAF Recruiter,

Declining an offer 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=117057.0

Offer Declined 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=122220.0

Chances of getting a second offer? 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=122972.0

etc...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 15:31:05 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline FutureMilitaryMan

• Rate Post
Re: Declining an offer (merged)
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28:13 »
Thank you for merging this with another thread based around the same topic. I have done some reading through this site, and spoke to several friends of mine in the Military and came to a decision. So, I'm just giving you an update on what's going on, in case anyone else is facing the same situation.
With great hesitation, I declined my offer to go into the career the military offered me, NESOP. I really want to pursue a career in the military, but over the past year, while my application as slowly been going through the process, I decided that I want to go into 2 particular trades, and not the other one (All of which were on my choices). I have a diploma in Electronic Engineering Technician, and I would really like to keep going on with that trade as I do enjoy it, and like the prospect of being a WENG Tech or Electrical Tech.  Also, would be nice to put my school years to good use.
Hopefully I did not make a big mistake here, but I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run and get an offer in a career path that I really want to pursue.
Thanks for your time

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 15:20:57 »
Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for reference,

Just got a job offer.
so I had a gentleman from the recruiting center call me today with an offer of enrollment for infantry,  now out of my 3 choices I wanted combat engineer/infantry/armored solider, was offered my second choice, now here is the question,
If I still wish to pursue combat engineer over infantry, what is that process, he stated that I would be put back on merit listing and have to wait all over again.

would this be smart on my behalf as its something I truly want, or would it just screw me over as I have a perfectly good job offer for a great position anyways...

The recruiter you spoke with is 100% correct, if you turn down Infantry and wish to wait for Combat Engineer you will be placed back on the Merit List and if you are competitive enough you might receive an offer down the road for Combat Engineer.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 16:03:19 by mariomike »

Offline htown11

• Rate Post
Pushing Basic Training Ahead
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 22:51:33 »
I am currently merit listed and I am wondering if i do receive a call would I be able to ask them to put the BT ahead? I just got offered a job as assistant coach for a jr a team and would like to be able to have a season doing that before joining. I would like to know what happens if i ask that or if i don't decide to go? can i re apply at a later date?

Thanks A lot!

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Pushing Basic Training Ahead
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:39 »
I am currently merit listed and I am wondering if i do receive a call would I be able to ask them to put the BT ahead? I just got offered a job as assistant coach for a jr a team and would like to be able to have a season doing that before joining. I would like to know what happens if i ask that or if i don't decide to go? can i re apply at a later date?

Thanks A lot!

You can request a "deferral" of the BMQ date offered but chances are, they will just rescind the offer and put you back on the Merit List, which usually results in another offer within the next 2-4 weeks.

If you have a specific date in mind, that you are available to accept an offer of employment and it is 3 months or more into the future, your best option would be to just close your application and re-open it again when you are ready to accept an offer.  Keep in mind, that you may have to redo the Interview, Medcal and Background Checks.

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
Cancelling application
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2016, 15:22:30 »
I am thinking of cancelling my application. Other opportunities have come up in life and I am curious to know if after cancelling, would I ever be able to apply again if I decided down the road it was something I'd like to try out for again?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Cancelling application
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2016, 15:33:22 »
I am curious to know if after cancelling, would I ever be able to apply again if I decided down the road it was something I'd like to try out for again?

From DAA, right above yours.

close your application and re-open it again when you are ready to accept an offer.  Keep in mind, that you may have to redo the Interview, Medcal and Background Checks.

As always,  Recruiting / DAA  is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 16:52:28 by mariomike »

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
Sorry but I need clarification
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2016, 17:21:38 »
I recently posted a thread inquiring about if I would be able to re apply for the army down the road if I cancelled my application now due to other opportunities that have come up in life.

Now I know I am going to get flamed here but whatever...the threads posted for reference didn't contain anything relevant to my situation..it was more about people declining offers and such.

So I'll explain my situation here..I applied in April of this year..did my CFAT in May and haven't heard anything since. So I will ask again here...If I cancel now...can I re apply down the road If I decide I want to pursue it again? Is there any minimum time one must wait before re applying again?

Online Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Re: Sorry but I need clarification
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 17:25:30 »
Yes.  I believe it's one year.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2016, 17:26:15 »
Thank You

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2016, 17:38:09 »
I am curious to know if after cancelling, would I ever be able to apply again if I decided down the road it was something I'd like to try out for again?

I recently posted a thread inquiring about if I would be able to re apply for the army down the road if I cancelled my application now due to other opportunities that have come up in life.

If I cancel now...can I re apply down the road If I decide I want to pursue it again?

Yes.

DAA is a Recruiter,

The only time you will need to reapply and possibly have to submit new or more documentation, is if your file has been closed for more than "365-days". As an example and an example ONLY, if your file were to be closed on 23 May 15, you can have your file "re-opened" on request anytime prior to 22 May 16, without having to reapply online.

If your file has been closed less than 365 days, you can ask that it be re-opened at any time.

If your file has been closed more than 365 days, you must re-apply online.

Is there any minimum time one must wait before re applying again?

No. Who told you there is?

The waiting period to re-apply described in the 36-page Getting Back In Mega Thread does not involve you. You have never been in.   

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:28:42 by mariomike »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2016, 18:45:16 »
In DAA We Trust

Offline Davy

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2016, 22:18:35 »
Hi!

I applied as a pilot through SENECA in November 2015.
I went through the whole process fairly well and quickly.
In July 2016, I received an official offer as pilot.... which I declined.
I am currently studying engineering in a civy university and I felt like
I wasn't ready to drop it all to start my new career.

The thing is now I wonder everyday if I should have accepted. Looks like
such an amazing profession. My question is: If I decide to re-apply, will I
have to start the whole process all over again? By process I mean CFAT,
interview, blood testing, eyes testing, medical testing, Aircrew Selection,etc.

What if I apply tomorrow?
What if I apply next year?

Thanks!!!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2016, 22:28:39 »
Hi!

Thanks!!!

See also,

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12744.msg1458247.html#msg1458247

Hi!

Thanks!
Sorry if my post isn't the proper section (so Canadian to say sorry like that... :cdn:)
I browsed the forum and could not find an answear.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2016, 14:01:49 »

If you reapply, you will most likely need to redo the "full" Medical, Interview and Background checks.  I believe that Aircrew Selection (ASC) results are valid for 2 years but your CFRC will be able to confirm this upon re-opening your application.  You won't need to redo the CFAT or TSD.

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
Delayed training question
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2017, 17:34:33 »
If you're offered a position, accept and swear allegiance but want to delay your basic training for a while to finish something before you go to basic for 13 weeks is that okay or will they say eff it and kick you to the curb?

Gracias

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Delayed training question
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2017, 17:45:29 »
If you're offered a position, accept and swear allegiance but want to delay your basic training for a while to finish something before you go to basic 13 weeks is that okay or will they say eff it and kick you to the curb?

If you choose to decline an offer of employment, you must then inform your Recruiting Detachment of what you wish to have done with your current application.  You may either have your application CLOSED (and re-Open it at a later date) or ask to be re-merit listed and considered for an offer of employment at a later date.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 23:03:57 by mariomike »

Offline SparkyRunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2017, 04:29:19 »
If one accepts the offer of enrolment for their 3rd choice trade, and is given a date for their enrolment ceremony, it is completely impossible to retract their acceptance prior to the ceremony if they wanted  to do so, so as to close their application and apply for different trades, correct?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 16:49:02 »
Sparky,

You can decline your acceptance up to any point right up to and including your enrollment ceremony (although please don't wait until your enrollment ceremony to change your mind).
Depending on what you're asking to change to you might be moved to the very beginning of the process again though and you're not guaranteed to get selected a 2nd time.