Author Topic: System Upgrade: Please Report Problems  (Read 228367 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: System Upgrade: Please Report Problems
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2018, 19:30:48 »
Chased down a high CPU issue and either fixed it... or didn't. :)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2018, 19:44:47 »
At approx 2100hrs NDT had this error might have been related to your tinkering:

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2019, 05:00:11 »
Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2019, 06:21:32 »
Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

Your information explains work access difficulties (the DWAN gets angry at internet activity very easily ;) ), but I’m surprised my mobile device was affected. I haven’t done the most recent iOS update, but otherwise I wouldn’t consider anything out of date. Hopefully you’re able to work around things, as I don’t think more security is a bad thing. (Although it would be lousy not being able to access the site from work. It’s a great lunch-hour and/or slow-day filler for me.)
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2019, 06:55:27 »
A big part of the issue was that yesterday, I enabled only TLSv3. This morning I enabled both v2 and v3, so folks should have better luck. :)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2019, 08:11:51 »
I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device.
I had the opposite situation;  no access with laptop, but I could get in via the cell phone.

So I guess I have to act on those irritating spams that pop-up saying "Do you want to switch to Chrome?" to update the browser.  ;)

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2019, 09:51:11 »
... I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

That parallels my experience: I don't know what time I noticed I couldn't access it, mid-afternoon I think ... but I did try with both my Mac (using both Chrome and Safari) and with my iPhone, again using both Chrome and Safari. I did make sure both browsers were up to date on both devices. Then, at about 1830 Hrs, Bingo!
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #457 on: February 02, 2019, 09:53:42 »

Cheers
Mike

Site works today via DWAN...yesterday not so much...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:03 »
I couldn't load the site from my bookmark but could if I Googled it.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #459 on: February 02, 2019, 10:23:09 »
No problems here in AZ.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #460 on: February 02, 2019, 17:40:35 »
Hopefully green across the board as of today. If you still have issues please let me know! (Somehow...)

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #461 on: May 10, 2019, 01:43:55 »
Hi Mike,

As far as I’m aware you haven’t been doing any work/upgrading on the server lately, but figured I’d still report here in case anyone is experiencing the same.

The past approx 5 weeks has seen me getting the attached error with increased frequency when logging in or out, or both. There doesn’t seem to be a consistent pattern of time of day, work or home, or wifi or not. But sometimes it’s been taking quite a few tries to log in. (It doesn’t bother me, really, when logging out.)
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #462 on: May 10, 2019, 16:20:32 »
That message usually appears when you have multiple tabs open doing multiple things at once.

For example if I'm drafting a post, and then open up a new tab to browse the forums, I'm likely to get that message.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #463 on: May 10, 2019, 16:51:00 »
That message usually appears when you have multiple tabs open doing multiple things at once.

For example if I'm drafting a post, and then open up a new tab to browse the forums, I'm likely to get that message.

Ah ok, thanks. Is there a possibility private browsing could be the culprit where mobile is concerned? Multiple windows, apps, tabs, or otherwise trying to do multiple things at once isn’t taking place when I’m on my phone. (I’m one of those people who does everything possible to save battery life, so closes things completely when done.)

I get it more frequently on my cell than at work on the PC, but I can see that being more of a problem at work when I have multiple programs and a few tabs open.
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #464 on: May 11, 2019, 11:55:43 »
Yeah, incognito/private browsing may also cause that issue in some cases.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2019, 18:07:53 »
Thanks Mike
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #466 on: June 11, 2019, 12:10:36 »
Good news folks, I moved us to a new, improved database server, and pre-paid the next 3 years. Performance should be a bit better now, and as always if you have any issues just let me know.

Cheers
Mike

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #467 on: June 27, 2019, 11:22:31 »
Hi Mike,

There seems to be a lot of "...cannot connect to the server..." and "...server busy..." messages the past couple of days, both from work and home, as well as the search error.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:25:10 by BeyondTheNow »
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #468 on: June 27, 2019, 13:34:04 »
Hi Mike,

There seems to be a lot of "...cannot connect to the server..." and "...server busy..." messages the past couple of days, both from work and home, as well as the search error.

Ditto for yesterday.

WR
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #469 on: June 27, 2019, 14:17:54 »
Thanks, I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #470 on: July 12, 2019, 19:40:36 »
Mike, I'm getting very delayed TapaTalk notifications.  For example, I got an email alert of a PM at 1800, but the TapaTalk notification just came in now.  (I'm assuming it's an issue with the backend and not my phone.)
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html