Author Topic: Locations for OJT?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline skrob

• Rate Post
Locations for OJT?
« on: April 23, 2012, 17:24:53 »
I have a question regarding OJT:  I just got back from aircrew selection (passed for Pilot and AEC) and am curious about where I could be headed for OJT following BMOQ, should I receive an offer of course.  I live close to Saskatoon which has a recruiting center and I believe a couple of Reserve Units.  I've read that since my dependents (wife/daughter) live here, that I will return here for OJT, unless I request otherwise.

The only other base close-by that I know of would be Dundurn (1 hour) and then Moose Jaw (3 hours).  Does anyone know if I could request my OJT to be at the RC (I'm not bilingual)?  If not, can I do OJT at a Reserve Unit?  Thanks.

Offline estoguy

• Rate Post
  • Aspiring CF Pilot
Re: Locations for OJT?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:06 »
Some good OJT info in this thread... http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,94886.0.html

The way I'm understanding it, they will take your preferences into account, but ultimately, they will send you where they need/want you... much like anything else in the military.
"The future is uncertain and the end is always near"
- Jim Morrison, "Roadhouse Blues"

A little hard, because you want it
A little hard, cause you believe
A little hard, yeah its worth fighting for
A little hard, is why you succeed.

Offline skrob

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:24 »
Thanks estoguy.

There sure doesn't seem to be a shortage of what you can do on OJT/OJE, but I'm still curious if anyone knows whether Saskatoon or Dundurn is even an option for OJT/OJE.

I realize the military puts you where they need you, I was just under the impression that OJT/OJE was more of a "let's put this guy somewhere so we don't have to pay him to do nothing at home" type situation. I'm probably out to lunch here but I am completely new to this, so thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:16:55 by skrob »

Offline lstpierre

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:57 »
On my BMOQ, every married person got sent back to where their spouse was for OJT, myself included. Since OJTs are pretty much being babysat as unqualified members, they typically won't have any reason to need you anywhere else... Unless the stapler in Petawawa is getting dangerously low in staples or something. 

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:57 »
On my BMOQ, every married person got sent back to where their spouse was for OJT, myself included.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that all the spouses were at (or near) a location where OJT was feasible.

Clearly, if someone's spouse is not, then they will not be sent there.  Correct?
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline skrob

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:54 »
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that all the spouses were at (or near) a location where OJT was feasible.

Clearly, if someone's spouse is not, then they will not be sent there.  Correct?

Yes, I guess that's my real question here - is OJT in Saskatoon possible.  I'm planning on asking the RC, but I don't know if they'll be able to tell me that.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline snyper21

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 20:25:33 »
I'm currently on BOTC at St Jean for pilot, and had a question about OJT. I was wondering if your location for Ojt has any bearing on what type of stream you'll go through. For example, I would like to be close to family, so the St. Hubert squadron would be great. On the other hand, I would love to fly fighters. By choosing a helicopter squadron as a Ojt location, would that decrease my 'competitiveness' to get accepted to the fighter stream, compared to someone that spent their Ojt days at cold lake/bagotville? Or it's your performance on course the only factor they consider?

Any help would be much appreciated.

aesop081

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 20:49:20 »
I was wondering if your location for Ojt has any bearing on what type of stream you'll go through.

None whatsoever.

Offline jpr

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:28:06 »
from my understanding you may be lucky just to get to a squadron for OJT. I was told by a friend that of ~20 ROTP guys, only 3 went to operational squadrons including himself (and yes, they had a freakin' blast, what with logging time in CF-18s and Griffons).

Offline ssrb653

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 14:13:45 »
Hello everyone! I am gonna try to revive this thread. I am planning on joining as AEC and I am interested in joining the weapons streams and then try to get a posting in space ops. Given the general career path I am trying to plot I wanted some advice. Would the location of OJT matter. I want to be posted in Montreal because it is where I live and I don't want to move for OJT and then move again for training at Cornwall. However, would getting an OJT posting in North Bay would be preferable because I want to join weapons stream as an AEC.
Would it be better to be posted at an operational base rather than being an OJT in Montreal for example. I read in this thread that OJT location does not have bearing on the pilot stream but I would like to know specifically for AEC.
As a person interested in AEC weapons stream and space ops would anyone have recommendation where would be the best place to do OJT?
I am also wondering do the forces pay for 2LT to move for OJT's? (I am under the impression they only pay for the move after you are operational i.e. LT)
If anyone can give me there input on this I would be pretty grateful.

Thanks
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM:     DEO
Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: AEC
Trade Choice 3: AERE
Application Date: 16/02/10
First Contact: 16/02/11
CFAT: 16/02/11
Medical: 17/09/12
Interview: 17/09/12
ACS: 17/01/11 (passed For AEC)
Reliability Check:Oct, 2016
Security Screening: 17/08/15
Air Factor: 18/03/09
Merit listed: 18/03/22
Position Offered: 18/04/11 (AERE)
Enrollment: 18/05/08
BMOQ: 18/05/14

Offline eptam

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 23:54:16 »
Similar to some of the other questions posted in this topic:

-Which post-BMOQ posting options for OJT are available / likely for married officers living midway between Calgary & Edmonton? I'm waiting on an offer for the pilot occupation, and would like to move my family to Moose Jaw (which I understand would be at my own expense) should I receive the offer. Is there a way to arrange the MJ posting, and if so, how would one go about that? Otherwise, would the default be a posting to Edmonton or Calgary? Any relevant advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thank you for the great content on this forum.

Regards,

-eptam