Author Topic: Aviation Systems Tech (AVN)  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Jako155

• Rate Post
Aviation Systems Tech (AVN)
« on: April 27, 2012, 23:46:08 »
Hey everyone, I'm considering joining the Air Force as an Aviation Systems Tech (AVN Tech) but I have a few concerning questions that I'd really like answered, especially if you have any knowledge about the trade.

1.   How much say do you have towards what you would be working on and where you are posted?
2.   How are the tours as an AVS Tech? How long are they and how often are you sent?
3.   When at your home base do you work a normal 9-5 type job or shift work?
4.   Are there any air force bases that are right near a large town such as CFB Edmonton?

Any information would be great and appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 15:43:07 by Jako155 »

aesop081

Re: Aviation Systems Tech (AVS)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:33 »
Hey everyone, I'm considering joining the Air Force as an Aviation Systems Tech (AVS Tech)

AVS Tech is not "Aviation Systems Tech". It is "Avionics Systems Tech".

"Aviation Systems Tech" is an AVN Tech.

1.   How much say do you have towards what you would be working on and where you are posted?

Between "none" and "very little".

2.   How are the tours as an AVS Tech? How long are they and how often are you sent?

Entirely dependant on where you work, what you actually do and the situation at the time. Too many variables to answer that one.

3.   When at your home base do you work a normal 9-5 type job or shift work?

Shift work for the most part, based on working along side techs for many years. Different units work different ways and, of course, as you progress, your employment differs and so do the working conditions.

4.   Are there any air force bases that are right near a large town such as CFB Edmonton?

There is a helicopter squadron at CFB Edmonton. You can search the RCAF website and it will show you were everyone is based.

Edit : AVN/AVS Tech (whichever one you actually mean) is not an "aircrew trade".

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:27:07 by CDN Aviator »

Offline Jako155

• Rate Post
Re: Aviation Systems Tech (AVN)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 15:51:56 »
Thanks for your honest answers Aviator. I’ve changed the acronym and I’ll try to figure out how to move the topic. Yeah, I’m aware that the tours really depend on what you’re working on. I just wanted a general idea for the air force entirely. 

aesop081

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 16:14:12 »
I just wanted a general idea for the air force entirely.

There is not "general idea" for the RCAF entirely. Tactical Helicopter units will deploy doing things one way (due to the nature of supporting the Army), while long range patrol units will deploy and do things another way to suit who they are working for. It follows that other fleets do business to suit their unique needs.

Offline mr peabody

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 17:46:19 »
There is a bit of info on the site if you feel like digging through some of the existing threads.  You will find that work schedules  vary greatly depending on where you're at.  People working in first line jobs are subject to the flying program and will frequently work any manner of odd shifts.  Techs in second line maintenance, shops, teaching positions and most of the office jobs are generally working a straight day gig....  0700-1500 etc. 

Feel free to fire me a pm if you have specific questions.
" Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. "

Offline Jako155

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:45 »
Another quick question: Do you know of AVN Techs doing PT? I heard they may have one PT morning every two weeks or something. Plus is it really that hard to find time for yourself to work out during shift days?

aesop081

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 14:16:13 »
Do you know of AVN Techs doing PT?

Yes.

Plus is it really that hard to find time for yourself to work out during shift days?

No.

Offline mr peabody

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:23:57 »
PT depends again on where you work.  If you're in a shop/office or second line job, it's usually not tough to get away a couple times/week to train.  First line work is always at the mercy of the flying program.  423 Sqn is the first place I've been employed where the flypro has been adjusted to allow techs to have time for PT.  We have two maintenance crews with alternating day/evening shifts....  The day crew gets 90 min for PT first thing in the morning on Mon and Fri of the day shift.  Any other PT has to compete with flying/maintenance activities for time.  Some days I can get training in during work time, but sometimes there's just no way.
" Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. "