Author Topic: Navy war graves ( merged )  (Read 24532 times)

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
Re: Sunken Canadian Warships
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 10:25:48 »
Or a Liberal Cabinet Minister who served in the Reg F Navy....

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 12:07:43 »
In a recent National Geographic TV program (Titanic: 20 Years Later With James Cameron), James Cameron stated that the Titanic wreck is surrounded by footwear. The bones of the dead disintegrated, but the footwear remains due to the tannic acids use in footwear mfg. Mention of a women's shoes and a little girl's shoes found together in a cabin. Very eerie.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/videos/why-you-wont-find-bodies-on-the-titanic/

WHY YOU WON'T FIND BODIES ON THE TITANIC

Explorer Bob Ballard explains why shoes are all that's left of many Titanic passengers.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 15:41:50 »
I would have thought it a given that some form of attention is paid to this issue by the Canadian Government bureaucracy.  It's not something new and despite a general impression among many of the usual suspects on these means that the government is apathetic at best in memorializing those who have provided the last full measure, there must be some small recognition.  Well, this is the only thing I found.

From the Receiver of Wrecks FAQ page

Question: What should a salvor not salvage and why?

Answer: Wrecks of historical or archaeological significance: Do not disturb wrecks that have historical or heritage value to Canadians.  Some wrecks may be legally protected as cultural or heritage resources under provincial, territorial, federal legislation depending on their location.

Wrecks in Protected Areas: Wrecks located in marine protected areas, including municipal, provincial, territorial and federal protected areas such as parks and conservation areas are managed under relevant legislation and policy.  They should not be salvaged or disturbed without appropriate authorization.

Military wrecks: These wrecks should not be touched unless permission is granted, in most cases neither the Canadian nor foreign governments will grant permission to salvors to salvage military wrecks because of the danger associated with unexploded ammunition.  In addition, if there were casualties aboard a military wreck, the Canadian and foreign governments usually consider the wreck a military grave and offer it protection under various legislative authorities.

For more information on historical, archaeological or military wrecks, please visit the Parks Canada.

And that's all.  A somewhat wishy-washy response.  Nothing more (anywhere that I could find) about which vessels (if any) have been designated or what "legislative authorities" offer protection.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 16:49:16 »
I know it's controversial to some members here who have lost family at sea to think a piece might be removed from the wreck, such as Hood's bell. 

As a current sailor, l am pleased to see that some of Hood will survive the ravages of time and will remind people of her and her crew forever more.

Perhaps it is because they, our wrecks, the HMS Hood or even USS Indianapolis are still within living memory that it is upsetting.  To bring Mary Rose or CSS Hunley to the surface for preservation and display doesn't cause a stir and yet they still are war graves.  But this will also ensure they will remind people as well. 
As I've said before, if l was a crewmember of a lost vessel, it would please me to think a bit would/could be saved to remind others of me, my ship and her crew.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 16:59:55 »
I have no issue with artifacts being recovered on an official basis for commemorative purposes. I have a completely opposite perspective on scavengers who would retrieve articles from a wreck for their own selfish pleasure or profit.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 17:04:00 »
Opinions vary,

Sunken warships are, themselves, "hallowed ground" and should be left as is.

There are other, better ways to memorialize those killed in action at sea.

This is, without putting too fine a point on it, nothing more than grave robbing. It may be tied up in a memorial ribbon but it is still plain, simple grave robbing. The UK authorities should know better.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 17:34:55 »
I just mailed a letter to my local MP (Christina McKenna) asking her to take a look at this matter. They say that handwritten letters get more notice than emails. We shall see.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 18:44:22 »
I have no issue with artifacts being recovered on an official basis for commemorative purposes. I have a completely opposite perspective on scavengers who would retrieve articles from a wreck for their own selfish pleasure or profit.
Totally agree.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Navy war graves ( merged )
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 19:47:14 »
Its now been 3 months since I sent my letter to my MP. No reply (email or otherwise), my next move is to stroll over to the constituency office and see if they actually care if people hand write a letter to them.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 19:59:25 »
This past week l have the pleasure of viewing the Franklin Expedition exhibition at the Canadian History Museum.  There were some actual items on display from the ships and other sites associated with Franklin.  One, is the ship's bell from HMS EREBUS.

Seeing her bell only cements my personal opinion that saving it for future generations to learn of the ship and her crew, is the right thing to do.  To have it lost for all time and by doing so lessen the connection to them is folly if it can be saved.  All items were treated and displayed with respect, it did not feel like a ghoul show.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 20:15:24 »
This past week l have the pleasure of viewing the Franklin Expedition exhibition at the Canadian History Museum.  There were some actual items on display from the ships and other sites associated with Franklin.  One, is the ship's bell from HMS EREBUS.

Seeing her bell only cements my personal opinion that saving it for future generations to learn of the ship and her crew, is the right thing to do.  To have it lost for all time and by doing so lessen the connection to them is folly if it can be saved.  All items were treated and displayed with respect, it did not feel like a ghoul show.

I agree that these artifacts should be on display. But only if they are recovered and treated with respect, as the one described by you above.