Author Topic: Former CF member charged in first degree murder  (Read 8223 times)

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Former CF member charged in first degree murder
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:47 »
Former Canadian soldier Adam Picard, 29, has been charged with first degree murder in connection with the death of Fouad Nayel.

See more at CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/12/12/ottawa-murder-suspect-appears-in-court.html
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Former CF member charged in first degree murder
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:40:54 »
A reminder:  The Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:58 »
I wish I could say I am surprised with CBC for having to *up* the attention this may get by the "former soldier" aspect.  Is the accused also a former Cub or Scout?  If so, why not include that?  Former badminton player?   ::)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 13:14:42 »
Their last attempted smear job on the CF made them look like complete and utter retards - they're just trying to make up for it.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 15:18:18 »
I wish I could say I am surprised with CBC for having to *up* the attention this may get by the "former soldier" aspect.  Is the accused also a former Cub or Scout?  If so, why not include that?  Former badminton player?   ::)

This comes up everytime.  Advantage to the ex-member as the PTSD card can be played once it gets this public.  I am assuming that's the avenue CBC is heading with this.  That and the fact we are all baby killing racists, right?
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 15:27:02 »
Or maybe the CBC is just reporting.  The information they have available so far is that the individual is a former soldier.  Over time, I fully expect to hear that he's from the town of Somewhere, and that after he left the military he did Some Job, and there will be interviews with His Friends who Can't Believe He'd Do Something Like That.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 15:32:51 »
Or maybe the CBC is just reporting.  The information they have available so far is that the individual is a former soldier.  Over time, I fully expect to hear that he's from the town of Somewhere, and that after he left the military he did Some Job, and there will be interviews with His Friends who Can't Believe He'd Do Something Like That.

Agreed.  We're blowing this out of proportion.  When a suspect is arrested, many times the media will try and report everything they can about the suspect.  Things like "The father of three..." "Is a high school teacher at...", "Was a former bank manager..." or whatever.  I doubt that this is anything nefarious.
Optio

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 15:35:41 »
I get just as cranked, but remember that media also point out when ex-cops go bad, too.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 15:42:02 »

being ex-military is a prominent career like doctor police officer firefire. If the accused was a former cub scout leader or 'someone' in the community I would guess the media would do the same thing, not that I agree with the practice.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 15:45:59 »
Oh, and CBC is also reporting he was a student at the Cordon Bleu cooking school.

CUe the "CBC hates french cuisine!" discussion in 3... 2... 1...

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 15:51:17 »
My God. Every time something like this happens. Same ol' crap.

Call a Mod when something 'new' comes in about the actual case.

Staff
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 17:21:01 »
Adding to a locked thread at the request of 211RadOp.

2 years after murder charges almost stayed, Adam Picard found guilty

'I am not guilty,' Adam Picard tells court after verdict delivered. 'This is not over.'

CBC News

3 Hours Ago
https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4876861?usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fottawa%2Fadam-picard-fouad-nayel-verdict-1.4876861

END QUOTE

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 17:48:29 by mariomike »