Author Topic: Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer  (Read 24318 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Life as a combat engineer
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:04 »
My experience is out of date, but I found the Combat Engineers a very switched on bunch and if you are willing to learn, you will learn a lot about many different things.

Offline ????????

• Rate Post
Re: Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 23:03:20 »
Hi everyone, looking for answers from experience. Simple question.

Would anyone currently or previously in the trade ever look back and trade it all in for a different career? Not because of the wife/girlfriend... she's fine with it, but because of their children? Missing them grow up, missing sports, miss helping with homework, Misout on teaching life lessons and Raising them into adults? I'm ready for the travel and time away as well I know it's different for everybody, but I have 2 boys. One almost 2 yrs. and the other is 3 months. I couldn't stand going through with this just to make myself happy and risk jeopardizing my relationship with my kids. I grew up in military family but never got the brunt of it, parents divorced, father stayed on the coast in the navy, step dad only posted once and was hardly away besides one tour in Afghanistan. I know other trades are worse just don't know how bad.

So again, would anyone ever take back choosing combat engineer? Regretting it for their kids?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 23:14:12 »
I couldn't stand going through with this just to make myself happy and risk jeopardizing my relationship with my kids.

I guess you read this upthread,

Expect to spend a fair amount of time away from home and your family, so ensure you have your **** wired tight administratively and your family has contingency and care plans in place.

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww