Author Topic: BMNQ 2013-Current: Naval Reserve  (Read 41609 times)

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
Re: BMNQ 2013-Current: Naval Reserve
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2017, 12:48:36 »
Hey,

I'm in the process of applying in the Navy Reserve for a NCM trade. The recruiter told me BMQ would be 3 weeks in the summer in Valcartier. I am a bit confused, from what I'm reading on the forum, it seems BMQ is usually 12 weeks ?

Thanks for your help!
The delivery format of NAVRES BMNQ is being changed this year. While the course consists of the same syllabus as before, it will be delivered in three phases: phases one and three will be delivered at the units as DL/DT, and phase two (the field and firefighting/damage control bits) will be done over three weeks at Valcartier. The massive upsurge in recruitment this year has made this necessary due to limited space at the training facilities.

Offline unmaxdemax

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2017, 14:48:44 »
Thanks for your reply ! May I ask what DL/DT mean ? Also, do you think it is a permanent change or just a temporary change ?

I'm taking my CFAT in two weeks. If i pass, I guess it will be too late for this summer's BMQ and will have to wait another year.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2017, 15:12:37 »
Thanks for your reply ! May I ask what DL/DT mean ? Also, do you think it is a permanent change or just a temporary change ?

I'm taking my CFAT in two weeks. If i pass, I guess it will be too late for this summer's BMQ and will have to wait another year.

This is the permanent way of conducting basic from now on and still equivalent to whats the regular force gets. 
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline unmaxdemax

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2017, 16:08:26 »
Thank you ! 3 week, that's quick. What does DT/DL mean ?

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 16:38:14 »
Thank you ! 3 week, that's quick. What does DT/DL mean ?

DL- Distance learning on a computer on the internet.

DT- Directed training in unit with instructors.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 16:52:32 »
Perhaps this is something we should look at for Army PRes BMQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 20:27:49 by RocketRichard »

Offline unmaxdemax

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 20:23:03 »
Sorry, i am new to this. If i understand well, for a Navy reservist, there are 3 training phases:
- phase 1 : basic military qualification - Navy
- phase 2 : bmqL
- phase 3 : occupational training

Only phase 2 would be trained in Valcartier. Phase 1 and phase 3 on base. Does that mean you have to go away for only one summer?

I thought that originally it would take 3 summers to be trained. Also, phase 2 only takes 3 weeks? If i am enrolled in june, does it mean i would have to wait till next summer for phase 2? The unit i've applied to has a parade night once a week plus training one saturday a month. Does not seem that much to complete all phases.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 21:00:51 »
Sorry, i am new to this. If i understand well, for a Navy reservist, there are 3 training phases:
- phase 1 : BMNQ - Required DL / DT pre-base training at your NRD.
- phase 2 : BMNQ training - on base, in Valcartier.
- phase 3 : BMNQ - Required DL / DT post-base training at your NRD.
You only graduate BMNQ after successfully completing all three phases. Normally, in one summer.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline kratz

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 21:18:04 »
Based on the Op's comments....He needs to engage his NRD CoC and the Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC). I have seen employers successfully accommodate sailors due to the ability of all stakeholders willing to work together on leave / training, pay issues.

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 21:38:41 »
I've just applied in the RCN for reserve - Logistic officer.

If it makes any difference to the discussion,

I'm in the process of applying in the Navy Reserve for a NCM trade.

Offline unmaxdemax

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2017, 20:10:40 »
I did apply online. Chose Logistics Officer at first. Then I picked up NCM trades when visiting the local regiment.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2017, 20:30:55 »
Just to let you know you can either apply as an officer or an NCM, you cannot apply as both.  Just to manage your expectations...

Offline unmaxdemax

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2017, 20:37:44 »
Yes, I know. I could pick Logistics Officer but was told there were not too many opportunities, so I chose NCM trades instead.

Offline Slo-as-you-can

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2017, 13:46:59 »
Sorry if there's a thread for this elsewhere, I haven't been able to find any information on this elsewhere. Happy for a referral though.

I recently enrolled in the naval reserves as a marine technician but I'm a student and all the summer slots for BMQ are full. Consequently, I'll be working on the reserve base for a year before taking BMQ, and two years before taking my occupational training. I'm curious how much this will impact what I'm doing on base. Obviously there will be a lot I simply can't do due to lack of training, but will I be able to start any sort of work as a marine technician in the next two years or will I be doing grunt work for the foreseeable future?

Offline Whatami Gettinginto

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:18 »
I am Navy (Reserve)
Same here but barely into BMOQ MOD 2. Bumping this thread as well.

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2018, 10:50:04 »
Whatami Gettinginto - are you able to give a broad overview of some of the stuff you covered in BMOQ Mod 1?  I understand there's been some changes lately and I'm interesting in what is currently covered.

Also interested in hearing from current freshly minted Logistics officers/sergeants on what their full time or reserve work is like.

TIA

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2018, 11:22:12 »
broad overview of some of the stuff you covered in BMOQ Mod 1?
Wish I could but I'm currently doing MOD 2 before MOD 1. Some NCdts have completed MOD 3 before MODs 2 & 1. MOD 1 is done online.

I am really enjoying the whole thing but eager to get into the LogO specific coursework. That's where I'll excel from previous work experience. Walk before you run though. On that note, sooo much running in PT right now.

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 16:46:21 »
Wish I could but I'm currently doing MOD 2 before MOD 1. Some NCdts have completed MOD 3 before MODs 2 & 1. MOD 1 is done online.

I am really enjoying the whole thing but eager to get into the LogO specific coursework. That's where I'll excel from previous work experience. Walk before you run though. On that note, sooo much running in PT right now.

Can you share what you are learning about?  are there resources we can read from to prepare for all this stuff?  I have been reading some doctrinal stuff but would love to get samples of what's covered in the Mod courses.

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2018, 15:09:28 »
We don't have a manual. Much of what we are covering with Policies and Procedures is very basic in nature. Really learning all of the NCM and Officer Rank symbols and names would be a good step ahead. Speaking of steps, knowing the basic commands for Drill would be a good idea but don't start actually doing it on your own forming bad habits.

Still early days myself.

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2018, 21:01:50 »
Wow thank!!  I found this. Crazy... I just thought there was one drill .., Ie. MARCH

www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-201/dhh_manual_drill_cermonial_chap-1.pdf

Offline kratz

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2018, 21:19:45 »
Stop stressing yourself out.

Relax and Chill out!

Yes. The drill manual, the JAG site and CAF documents are online.
It's great you are interested enough to search that much, but now you're
going too far, "without context or training".

Read more, ask less.

If you have questions, copy and paste this into Google:
"site:navy.ca QUESTION"

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2018, 11:23:33 »
I’m not stressing!  I’m kind of pumped actually.
Drills look so cool.
That being said, I may be idealizing. Do soldiers actually like doing drills?  Or is that just weird.
I feel like drills can be quite hypnotic and therapeutic. Kind of like after doing yoga. It’s tough no doubt but you walk away feeling alert and discipline and part of a team.
So... show of hands... how do people feel about doing their drills??

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2018, 11:38:33 »
... how do people feel about doing their drills??

Opinions vary,
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1280&bih=621&ei=lGLDW73eBMzx5gKjiqT4BQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++drill&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++drill&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..84265...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.YKhQbWOuDZE

Stop stressing yourself out.

Relax and Chill out!

From way back in 2005,

OP: "Stop panicking, do your PT, and THAT'S IT. That's it. It's that friggin' simple! There's no need to read any secret books. There's no requirement to study before you go. Everything you will need to learn will be taught to you"

Read more, ask less.

:)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:55:03 by mariomike »

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2018, 17:52:34 »
Also saw in the regulations that soldiers aren’t allowed doing “drills” for  other foreign armies (makes sense) but also not allow doing drills for domestic “organizations“. Would that include stuff like Freemasons?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 18:36:50 »
Also saw in the regulations that soldiers aren’t allowed doing “drills” for  other foreign armies (makes sense) but also not allow doing drills for domestic “organizations“. Would that include stuff like Freemasons?

Not that I am aware of. But, you can check here,

Freemasonry 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=49904.50
10 pages.