Author Topic: Naval Ensign  (Read 50609 times)

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Naval Ensign
« on: May 02, 2013, 20:09:54 »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/05/02/ns-navy-flag-ensign.html

After 48 years, the Royal Canadian Navy will be flying a new flag.

The new ensign will debut on May 5, marking the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, a time when the navy and Canadians salute the sacrifices of sailors during the Second World War.

Since 1965, the Canadian maple leaf flag has flown off the stern of Canadian warships. The new design harkens back to the wartime navy. Back then, the naval ensign had a British flag in the upper corner on an all-white background.

In a reversal, the flag known as the Naval Jack will become the new Canadian naval ensign and the maple leaf design will become the new Naval Jack.

The new naval ensign incorporates the national flag in the upper left hand corner and the naval badge.

The navy said the switch doesn't mean they’ll scrap the maple leaf flag. Previously the ensign flag was displayed on the bow of Canadian warships, a less prominent position in navy protocol.

The new ensign will fly on 34 Canadian warships. The first ship to show it will be HMCS Toronto, now serving in the Persian Gulf.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
Re: Naval Ensign
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:48 »
I heard about this but couldn't find anything on it. Interesting.

34 warships-Are we hiding one somewhere???
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:56 »
Looks fine:

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

jollyjacktar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:06 »
Will look strange at first until we become accustomed to it again.  It's not like we're re-inventing the wheel or anything, just retuning to what was once again.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
So here is the new "white ensign" - distinctively Canada and well grounded historically - as it was when it was the Naval Jack.

And all at no cost, too. BZ, Navy!

Looks good, distinctive....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
So here is the new "white ensign" - distinctively Canada and well grounded historically - as it was when it was the Naval Jack.

And all at no cost, too. BZ, Navy!

Couldn't they find a ship without a stove in bow, for the picture?  ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline stokerwes

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:59:09 »
I really think that manhours and resources could be used better elsewhere. Why not go back to hammocks and hard tack too?

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Steam is good......though, the wood gets kinda damp.... :)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Couldn't they find a ship without a stove in bow, for the picture?  ;D

PR Fail.    ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Finally, the National flag is back at the place of honour on a ship: The Jackstaff.

And switching the Ol' Jack to become the Ensign is exactly what I proposed in these pages two years ago when the curl was reintroduced - Either someone in Ottawa is reading these pages or great minds think alike ;) .

The next question now: Will the CFAV's switch theirs too, so they now fly the Canadian Blue Ensign ?

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:21:20 »
...And 130 deg Boiler Rooms, asbestos dust (Yumm!) and of course 'Tiller Flats' justice!!!
I am still wondering why the majority of us were likely informed of this through the press?
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:31 »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/05/02/ns-navy-flag-ensign.html

After 48 years, the Royal Canadian Navy will be flying a new flag.

The new ensign will debut on May 5, marking the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, a time when the navy and Canadians salute the sacrifices of sailors during the Second World War.

Since 1965, the Canadian maple leaf flag has flown off the stern of Canadian warships. The new design harkens back to the wartime navy. Back then, the naval ensign had a British flag in the upper corner on an all-white background.

In a reversal, the flag known as the Naval Jack will become the new Canadian naval ensign and the maple leaf design will become the new Naval Jack.

The new naval ensign incorporates the national flag in the upper left hand corner and the naval badge.

The navy said the switch doesn't mean they’ll scrap the maple leaf flag. Previously the ensign flag was displayed on the bow of Canadian warships, a less prominent position in navy protocol.

The new ensign will fly on 34 Canadian warships. The first ship to show it will be HMCS Toronto, now serving in the Persian Gulf.

That's funny. I was always taught by the old Chiefs at comm school that in Commonwealth navies, the Jack was the place of honour onboard.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:12 »
I really think that manhours and resources could be used better elsewhere. Why not go back to hammocks and hard tack too?
A hammock couldn't be worse than our new mattresses.   Would probably sleep much better.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:42:50 »
yum, hard tack, not to mention the free protein that comes with them, which will then surely lead to this discussion in the wardroom..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNL0KfD0nts

Offline aratofsomesort

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:49 »
Hell with hardtack.. bring back the TOT!

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 13:39:37 »
I can't see there being too much cost to this since it's essentially just a matter of swapping ends where the flags go on the ships

Offline bLUE fOX

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 13:41:31 »
Here here!

(EDIT to add: I meant this in response to the tot. I apparently wasn't fast enough)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:13:32 by bLUE fOX »
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 13:43:46 »
I can't see there being too much cost to this since it's essentially just a matter of swapping ends where the flags go on the ships

You forgot all the bureaucratic man-hours spent on the paperwork that is involved in amending publications, orders, etc.; not to mention the translation of said orders and publications prior to reprinting them.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 13:46:21 »
Just had hands fall down after lunch.  The old man said (paraphrase) there's more corrections coming with the intent of ridding any semblance of the what was done at unification.  I'm not too sure what else needs to be done to bring the wheel back around once more, he didn't elaborate further.  Will have to wait and see.

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 14:33:26 »

To be fair, there are some minor costs associated with this.  The one I am aware of was the requirement to procure new ensigns for our small boats.  But again, I think that was, relatively speaking, a minor cost
"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 14:36:43 »
I suppose that the frigates and destroyers will need new "battle ensigns", to the extent that those are carried.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 14:55:43 »
God help the first couple of duty watches onboard for Colours and Sunset....for the first few I can see flags being hoisted, taken down and 1 person running forward and the other to the quarterdeck to swap out.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline winnipegoo7

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 15:39:16 »
I heard about this but couldn't find anything on it. Interesting.

34 warships-Are we hiding one somewhere???

3 x Destroyers
12 x Frigates
12 x MCDVs
4 x Submarines
2 x AORs
1 x HMCS ORIOLE

= 34

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 15:51:38 »
God help the first couple of duty watches onboard for Colours and Sunset....for the first few I can see flags being hoisted, taken down and 1 person running forward and the other to the quarterdeck to swap out.

Exactly! I can't wait for some hapless OOD to come back off leave or something, having missed the announcement and think that his POOD is trying to mess with him.

The Deputy Fleet Commander sent an email to all of his COs directing us to personally ensure there are NO screw ups, for Sunday at least. 
"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
Finally, the National flag is back at the place of honour on a ship: The Jackstaff.

And switching the Ol' Jack to become the Ensign is exactly what I proposed in these pages two years ago when the curl was reintroduced - Either someone in Ottawa is reading these pages or great minds think alike ;) .

The next question now: Will the CFAV's switch theirs too, so they now fly the Canadian Blue Ensign ?

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let's take some time out here to absorb the change. Don't want to move too fast or it will just send you Navy types into a fantail spin. ;D
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!