Author Topic: Not meeting physical requirments  (Read 44927 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Not meeting physical requirments
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 03:22:41 »
The beep test sucks. I've always found it harder than actually running the 2.4km.

That's kind of the point.  The beep test gets tougher the longer you go, while in the 2.4 you either keep the same pace or slow down as you reach the end.  I can't remember what the CAF standard for the 2.4 was, but in the RAAF the 2.4 pace was roughly the same as a Level 5-6 in the CAF beep test.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 08:37:16 »
The good thing about the beep test is it is a sprint A-B and isn't a constant speed with quick turns of 180 degrees.  You do not get that with a steady state run.

The beep test is a joke, I managed an exempt without breaking a sweat.  You do not go to failure, you go until exemption, after that you are just a glory hound.
;-)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:46 »
Disagree.  There is nothing wrong with performing to 100%.

I guess anyone who tried to finish the BFT before 'the max allotted time' was a gloryhound or someone who tried to better the CF Ironman time?

Lets not even begin to talk about those gloryhounds who place 1st on courses, etc...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:54:47 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:03 »
I think you took my comment the wrong way.

Comparing the Beep test to the military Ironman(or any Ironman) is up there with saying the round orange thing is in fact an apple.

Is there a special prize for placing first on the Beep test other then hearing the clapping from fellow recruits?

My point, and as dull as it is, was simply to state there is no benefit once you get exempt status to your life in the military.  If there is a difference in some way between hitting a Lvl 13 and hitting a lvl 14 to your career in the military I must have missed that part.  Please let me know if I am out in left field.

Offline Jester_TG

• Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:11 »
What do you guys think about heading into the forces while I barely meet the physical fitness requirements?

I want to get into shape, but where I live, I find it hard to get the motivation to keep working out on a daily basis.  I live in a small town, ~300 people, and I live an hour away from any city or large town. I have my license yet, but no vehicle, so I can't drive myself there.

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my *** off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

I just want your guy's opinion on the matter.

To the OP -You don't need a car or equipment to run or do push-ups. Those are the 2 things on the expres test people have issues with.

So just run run run, and the days in between work on pushups :)
That was some of the best flying I've seen to date - right up to the part where you got killed.

Offline vancouverite

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2013, 21:05:30 »
What do you guys think about heading into the forces while I barely meet the physical fitness requirements?

I want to get into shape, but where I live, I find it hard to get the motivation to keep working out on a daily basis.  I live in a small town, ~300 people, and I live an hour away from any city or large town. I have my license yet, but no vehicle, so I can't drive myself there.

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my *** off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

I just want your guy's opinion on the matter.

Do your 2.4 up to 5km run. Even its just running around your block three times per week.
Do your hand grips three times per week.
do the min push ups for your age three times per week.
do the min sit ups for your age three times per week.
run up and down two stairs on a constant basic for 15 min per day.
Do all these for a min of three mths before trying to get in. The application process is like 8 mths long.

Those will get you close to min required. If you can't get those done, then don't waste the CF time, $$ and effect.