Author Topic: Kapyong Barracks memories (Split Thread)  (Read 5136 times)

Offline R. Wpg. Rif.

• Rate Post
    • Truck, utility, light, 4x4, military design,Iltis Canadian
Kapyong Barracks memories (Split Thread)
« on: April 21, 2014, 14:45:09 »
I am not even going to pretend, That I am qualified to add to this discussion, in the matter of what should be done for the future of the Canadian military.
But I do have to say, that is sure is sickening to watch the old Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg, slowly falling apart.
The day they shut this base down, was a sad day indeed. It worked so well with the location and it's place in the community, for the families that were here, and the overall contribution to the local economy. The base is there, just add a unit!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 15:48:12 by milnews.ca »
Remember, some people are alive, simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Once a Rifleman, always a Rifleman!

If a man does his best, what else is there? -George Patton

Online dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: I can't comment so here's a tangent (Split Thread)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 14:59:40 »
I am not even going to pretend, That I am qualified to add to this discussion, in the matter of what should be done for the future of the Canadian military.
But I do have to say, that is sure is sickening to watch the old Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg, slowly falling apart.
The day they shut this base down, was a sad day indeed. It worked so well with the location and it's place in the community, for the families that were here, and the overall contribution to the local economy. The base is there, just add a unit!!

Unfortunately it needed a lot of upgrading to be able to meet the needs of a modern Infantry BN.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 15:12:50 »
Unfortunately it needed a lot of upgrading to be able to meet the needs of a modern Infantry BN.

From what I have heard it would need major upgrades even for 38 Bde units.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 15:12:56 »
I had the pleasure to live in KB for six months in 2002 when I was initially posted on IR to 38 CBG HQ."Pleasure" because I was living with fellow Patricia's, not because of the state of the camp itself. That was crap and was quite obviously being allowed to run down by the RCAF who were pinching pennies as hard as they could go in light of the impending closure.

As Jim and Dangerboy commented, it was an outdated 1950's facility and would have cost a huge amount to upgrade. 2 PP is much better off in its new digs in Shilo.

38 CBG HQ was in the old Base Ration building across the street from the south edge of KB; it eventually moved up onto 17 Wing to occupy the old Wing HQ bldg. We never seriously considered moving into KB: my understanding was that Govt wanted to be rid of it.

I do agree that it was sad to see it standing empty and forgotten, especially the good times I enjoyed in the Mess as a guest of 2PP.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 17:34:44 »
I worked in KB from 88-91.  It was, indeed, a tad run down, but no worse than Pet was 5 years later.  The real value of KB was the sense of community - Bn lines far from the Bde was a good thing.....
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 17:39:00 »
I worked in KB from 88-91.  It was, indeed, a tad run down, but no worse than Pet was 5 years later.  The real value of KB was the sense of community - Bn lines far from the Bde was a good thing.....

Amen to that. The last Patricia mess. I started my Regimental duty in 3PP at Work Point, which was about as far away from Bde HQ as you could get. Mess life was great. We've lost something, I think.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 17:40:45 »

Thus satisfying the 11th principle of war: Always site your HQ as far away from the next higher HQ as possible ... then hope for a comms failure so you can got one with your battle in peace.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 18:24:04 »

Kapyong Barracks was what I called "home" from 90-99. PPCLI Guy makes a good point. 2 VP was a tight knit unit because we were far away from Bde HQ plus we were the "red headed step kids" on 17 Wing. The ....activities....between the 2 VP JRC and 17 Wing JRC were legendary.

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 13:30:10 »
Kapyong Barracks was what I called "home" from 90-99. PPCLI Guy makes a good point. 2 VP was a tight knit unit because we were far away from Bde HQ plus we were the "red headed step kids" on 17 Wing. The ....activities....between the 2 VP JRC and 17 Wing JRC were legendary.

Ok sir, I then invite you and others to start a thread that will record these 'legends', they should be jotted down before forgotten. Already I am waiting in anticipation for some good reads!
Anytime I drive by there, I wonder what 'ghosts' are lurking inside the grounds.    ;)

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 13:44:54 »
The ghost of Max "the Axe" I'm sure still prowls the grounds, looking to leap on unsuspecting young troops and charge them for some imagined infraction of Max's Law.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 14:29:38 »
The ghost of Max "the Axe" I'm sure still prowls the grounds, looking to leap on unsuspecting young troops and charge them for some imagined infraction of Max's Law.

Heard about Max last year...  :)

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 14:47:14 »
Memorable guy, especially the pre Christmas bug out and kit inspection.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 15:45:25 »

Max was walking across the main road in Kapyong. He decided to cross the road right in front of me. I was driving my car and caught a glimpse of someone stepping in front of it. Brakes on......and he glared right at me as if to say...."how dare you almost hit me?". When I told the boys about this they dissed me some hard....