Author Topic: Russia in the 21st Century [Superthread]  (Read 426854 times)

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Re: Russia in the 21st Century [Superthread]
« Reply #850 on: June 08, 2020, 14:56:31 »
Start of a post:

Public Russian Nuclear Weapons Use Doctrine–Willing to go First if Necessary

Further to the discussion of use of nuclear-armed cruise missiles (SLCMs) carried by Russian submarines at this March 2020 post,

Subs and Russian Nuclear Weapons Doctrine, Note Cruise Missiles

Russia has just published its first, public document on policies for the use of strategic nuclear weapons. The document does not rule our first use of those weapons in certain circumstances, nor does it seem to preclude first use of tactical nuclear weapons (which may well be how those carried by the navy’s SLCMs are classified even if some targets are in North America) as part of what may be a non-public “escalate to de-escalate” doctrine (more at the first quote below)...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/06/08/public-russian-nuclear-weapons-use-doctrine-willing-to-go-first-if-necessary/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #851 on: June 08, 2020, 15:35:37 »
Russia isn't about to nuke northern Europe, even with smaller yield tactical nuclear weapons.  And neither Syria or Libya are important enough to whip out the nukes for...

Their involvement in Syria and Libya is to maintain some control over events that are happening relatively close to them, and they believe are in their own national interest.  Despite the western media constantly making the Russians the bad guys, they aren't about to start lobbing nukes anytime soon - especially when their primary military focus right now is on maintaining some sort of controlled order in nearby failed states.    :2c:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #853 on: June 26, 2020, 21:17:32 »
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/06/report-russia-paid-taliban-bounties-for-killing-us-troops/?utm_source=militarymemes&utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook

Well now, this is interesting

Interesting is true, indeed.

Personally, I doubt it's true.  Interesting nonetheless. 

**Not insulting you or your source, to clarify.  I just have my doubts**
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 21:34:50 by CBH99 »
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #854 on: June 30, 2020, 11:32:15 »

Interesting is true, indeed.

Personally, I doubt it's true.  Interesting nonetheless. 

**Not insulting you or your source, to clarify.  I just have my doubts**

Spies and Commandos Warned Months Ago of Russian Bounties on U.S. Troops - NY Times

The recovery of large amounts of American cash at a Taliban outpost in Afghanistan helped tip off U.S. officials. It is believed that at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties.

United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.

The crucial information that led the spies and commandos to focus on the bounties included the recovery of a large amount of American cash from a raid on a Taliban outpost that prompted suspicions. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals played a central role in making the intelligence community confident in its assessment that the Russians had offered and paid bounties in 2019, another official has said.

Armed with this information, military and intelligence officials have been reviewing American and other coalition combat casualties over the past 18 months to determine whether any were victims of the plot. Four Americans were killed in combat in early 2020, but the Taliban have not attacked American positions since a February agreement to end the long-running war in Afghanistan.

The details added to the picture of the classified intelligence assessment, which The New York Times reported Friday has been under discussion inside the Trump administration since at least March, and emerged as the White House confronted a growing chorus of criticism on Sunday over its apparent failure to authorize a response to Russia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/politics/russian-bounties-warnings-trump.html
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon