Author Topic: Ukraine - Superthread  (Read 975321 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Ukraine - Superthread
« Reply #1950 on: September 24, 2015, 17:46:15 »
It's now official ....
President Petro Poroshenko signed a Decree to enact the NSDC decision of September 2, 2015 “On the New Edition of the Military Doctrine of Ukraine”.

Under the document, Ukraine is currently facing an acute military threat – Russian armed aggression, which includes temporary occupation of Crimea and aggression in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions. Possible Russia’s military buildup in close proximity to the state border, inter alia, deployment of tactical nuclear weapons in Crimea, militarization of temporarily occupied territories, presence of military contingent of Russia in Transnistria, intensification of Russian special forces in reconnaissance and subversive activities aimed to destabilize the internal situation in Ukraine pose a great threat to our country as well.

The activity of illegal armed groups in Ukraine aimed to destabilize the internal social and political situation, intimidate people, suppress their will to resist, disrupt functioning of the state authorities, industries and infrastructure is another threat.

The Doctrine outlines military-political challenges that can transform into a threat of using military force against Ukraine. The first of them are Russia’s interference in the internal affairs of Ukraine, counteraction to the European choice of Ukrainians and to the formation of collective security system with participation of Ukraine.

The Doctrine also stipulates scenarios that can endanger military security of Ukraine. The main scenario is full-scale armed aggression of Russia against Ukraine with decisive military-political goals.

The main purposes of military politics, under the Doctrine, are based on the fact that “Ukraine wants to maintain friendly relations with all countries of the world based on the international agreements concluded on the basis of equality, non-interference in internal affairs, mutual respect for independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity”.

The Military Doctrine stipulates that the key task aimed to create conditions for the restoration of state sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine is comprehensive reform of the national security system to a level acceptable for the membership in the European Union and NATO; creating an effective security and defense sector, which provides ample capacity of national defense to repel armed aggression. Another purpose is the development of AFU under the western standards and achievement of interoperability with NATO Forces.
How's your Ukrainian?  So far, only the Ukrainian version of the pronouncement/doctrine is posted - will share a link to any English translation if/when one appears.

Meanwhile, in the east, a child is killed in an explosion at a separatist "tank biathalon" (something done in Russia, too - variation on the (old?) Canadian Army Trophy?) - with at least one official saying it may look like a "terrorist attack" (links to Russian-language article from separatist DNR government).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1951 on: September 25, 2015, 01:13:55 »
UN and NGO humanitarian organizations are being ordered out of Luhansk by rebels:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34355394

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1952 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:11 »
UN and NGO humanitarian organizations are being ordered out of Luhansk by rebels:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34355394
According to the Luhansk security service, Those Doctors without Borders folks were importing "psychotropic" drugs without approval (not to mention sending them to places not agreed to by the Luhansk separatist government) (links to article in Russian) - not much detail re:  why the others were punted - although they can apply again to come back in 3 months (another Russian-language article link)  Wonder if the Luhansk authorities'll keep the drugs, given how unsafely they were brought in & stored?

The Russian text also downloadable here if you don't want to give the Lugansk separatist authorities the satisfaction of hits to their web page  ;D

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1953 on: September 25, 2015, 13:02:20 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1954 on: September 26, 2015, 07:25:01 »
.... in the east, a child is killed in an explosion at a separatist "tank biathalon" (something done in Russia, too - variation on the (old?) Canadian Army Trophy?) - with at least one official saying it may look like a "terrorist attack" (links to Russian-language article from separatist DNR government).
The separatist government in Donetsk appears to be blaming an IED of some sort planted on an SA-13/Strela-10 for the explosion in this statement (in Russian) - also attached if link doesn't work.  I've also attached a PDF of the photos of the damaged Strela-10 from the page (second attachment).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:55:38 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1955 on: September 27, 2015, 07:11:05 »
According to the Luhansk security service, Those Doctors without Borders folks were importing "psychotropic" drugs without approval (not to mention sending them to places not agreed to by the Luhansk separatist government) (links to article in Russian) - not much detail re:  why the others were punted - although they can apply again to come back in 3 months (another Russian-language article link)  Wonder if the Luhansk authorities'll keep the drugs, given how unsafely they were brought in & stored?
As per the bit in yellow, the UKR Security Service's Info-machine says (in Ukrainian) the separatist health minister, who is also reportedly the "Former head of the regional pharmaceutical industry enterprises" before new management took over in Luhansk, is helping get meds & drugs (including those in Russia's humanitarian convoys) to separatist fighters illegally.

In other highlights, a big explosion at Odessa's UKR Security Svc HQ, the Dutch are still repatriating bodies from the MH-17 crash site +400 days after the crash and a second-hand report that Putin may accept "international peacekeepers" of some kind in eastern Ukraine.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1956 on: September 27, 2015, 18:13:38 »
In spite of the bad taste being Soviet left in a lot of Ukrainians' mouths, the UKR military paid respects while re-burying Soviet soldiers killed during WW2 (article in Ukrainian) - photo attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1957 on: October 01, 2015, 09:37:57 »
Man bites dog!

You have a separatist leader and a Ukrainian military spokesperson saying the latest ceasefire is essentially the end of the war in Donbas.

You'd think all that fraternal assistance (former, not) Russian military force now (not) in eastern Ukraine may be needed elsewhere - or is Syria a way to keep the U.S. distracted from Ukraine (links to satirical Twitter post)?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:42:04 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #1958 on: October 01, 2015, 12:02:28 »
Man bites dog!

You have a separatist leader and a Ukrainian military spokesperson saying the latest ceasefire is essentially the end of the war in Donbas.

You'd think all that fraternal assistance (former, not) Russian military force now (not) in eastern Ukraine may be needed elsewhere - or is Syria a way to keep the U.S. distracted from Ukraine (links to satirical Twitter post)?

I think that Putin can't be in two places at once.  Even if the contribution is in the form of small packets of aging aircraft and special forces.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1959 on: October 02, 2015, 07:04:59 »
Heh heh heh ....
Kyiv mayor Vitaliy Klitschko has suggested to rename the street on which the Russian Embassy to Ukraine is located after Russian opposition leader and Vladimir Putin's vocal critic Boris Nemtsov, who was killed in Moscow on February 27, 2015 ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1960 on: October 02, 2015, 07:52:10 »
...or Star Spangled Way, or Democracy Avenue, etc... ;D

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #1961 on: October 02, 2015, 10:57:24 »
...or Star Spangled Way, or Democracy Avenue, etc... ;D

Or even "Ottawa Crescent".
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1962 on: October 03, 2015, 06:23:02 »
From the UKR MoD Info-machine:
Mr. Petro Mekhed, Deputy Minister of Defence — Head of Administration, held talks with Mr. Richard Fadden, National Security Advisor of the Prime Minister of Canada.

Mr. Petro Mekhed spoke about current situation in the east of Ukraine. According to him, the intensity of militants’ attacks has considerably decreased. Meanwhile, there are factors of situation escalation.

Deputy Minister thanked the Canadian party for assistance and praised the level of Canadian-Ukrainian defence cooperation.

“We thank the Canadian people and Canadian Government and the Ukrainian community in Canada for assistance,” Deputy Defence Minister stressed, “Everyone understands that this war is not just against Ukraine. It’s a global threat. We’ll continue to develop the Armed Forces of Ukraine, carry out reforms with our partners in order to develop independent, democratic European state.”

Mr. Richard Fadden reassured the Ukrainian party of the Canadian party readiness to continue the cooperation.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:09:32 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1963 on: October 06, 2015, 11:09:16 »
Fingers crossed ....
Latest UKR info-machine map attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1964 on: October 07, 2015, 07:28:13 »
Fundraising update:  Ukrainian operators are (still) standing by for donations, now up to just under CDN $9.8 million - lotsa ways to donate for lotsa things!

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1965 on: October 07, 2015, 11:11:52 »
An interesting tale about a UKR patients' safety group wanting to destroy more than 3M doses of polio vaccine (made by France, paid for by Canada & distributed by the WHO) because it partially thawed while being transported to UKR.  This appears to be the "nut" paragraph:
.... The country’s health ministry believes some lobbyists are trying to destroy public confidence in overseas vaccines.

“They are targeting the international organisations that provided vaccines as humanitarian assistance,” said the deputy health minister Ihor Perehinets. “Someone doesn’t want to have procurement outsourced to international organisations – which are much more transparent while conducting procurement in Ukraine and abroad.” ....
Two cases of polio have been identified in UKR, which is why WHO is keen on getting the vaccine out there ASAP.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1966 on: October 12, 2015, 15:34:02 »
I could have sworn there was a separate MH17 issue thread, but can't seem to find it in a search.

Reuters

Dutch Safety Board set to say MH17 downed by Russian-made missile, but not point finger
Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29pm EDT

By Toby Sterling

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch Safety Board, issuing long-awaited findings on Tuesday of its investigation into the crash of a Malaysian passenger plane over eastern Ukraine, is expected to say it was downed by a Russian-made Buk missile but not say who was responsible for firing it.

MH17 was shot down over territory held by pro-Russia rebels in eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 people aboard, most of them Dutch citizens.

Experts and Western governments believe rebels shot down the aircraft, possibly mistaking it for a Ukrainian military plane. Moscow has offered alternative theories, including that it might have been shot down by a Ukrainian fighter, or by Ukrainian forces.

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1967 on: October 13, 2015, 14:42:26 »
In reality because they didn't want to sound political no real new information (IE motive or blame) was released. On the otherhand Almaz-Antei air defense consortium decided to do a press conference to present their own version of events.

"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1968 on: October 22, 2015, 15:43:45 »
Proof to the separatists that you don't get something for nothing when you get help from Uncle Vlad .....
In the occupied areas of Donbas militants opened items for mobilizing volunteers to be sent to Syria.

This was reported in the (UKR) Main Intelligence Department.

“There were observed at least two such items in Donetsk and also distribution of propaganda materials calling to join the” international battalion “Crusader” in Khartsyzk and Makiyivka towns”, – added the Department.

“Thus, mercenaries, apart from the high money reward for their participation in hostilities, were not given any social guarantees”, – added the Main Intelligence ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1969 on: October 26, 2015, 14:28:02 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1971 on: November 13, 2015, 08:25:37 »
OSCE to both sides:  easy there, fella ....
The Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine Ertugrul Apakan today deplored the recent increase in the number and the gravity of ceasefire violations in eastern Ukraine, and urged the sides to honour their commitments under the Minsk agreements.

Since the beginning of November SMM monitors have reported that the level of violence has increased, especially near the remains of Donetsk airport.

“I am particularly concerned by the use of heavy weapons in Staromykhailivka, Krasnohorivka and the Kuibyshevskyi district of Donetsk city,” the Chief Monitor said.

He recalled the clear commitments to the ceasefire made by the sides in the Minsk Protocol and Memorandum of September 2014 and the Package of Implementation Measures of February 2015.

“SMM monitors have observed and reported two months of relative calm, and tentative steps by people in some areas towards rebuilding their lives and communities. We urge all sides not to turn back the clock on these positive developments and to honour their commitments and work towards a durable peace,” Apakan said.
Latest UKR Info-machine map attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1974 on: November 24, 2015, 21:26:45 »
That whole power outage thing appears to be escalating a touch:  "Russia Ramps Up Offensive Group in North Crimea; Brings Tanks, Grads to Border"
The latest:  <Boris Badinov voice>"You want to keep us in dark?  See how you like in cold"</Boris Badinov voice> -- "Russia says to halt gas supplies to Ukraine, mulling coal cut off over Crimea"

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter