Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]  (Read 149073 times)

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2014, 18:02:53 »
If you are going into the Regular Force, tell the tooth fairies Dental folks in St Jean when you do your intake dental exam - they'll likely arrange for you to get them dealt with after Recruit School and set you up with appropriate medications to make life more tolerable until that happens.  If you're going Primary Reserve, kind of a different proposition - let your CoC know that you'll be having some surgery, when the dates are and what the likely time off requirements will be - if it's all 4, generally 2-3 days sick leave and about a week of light duty IIRC.  Just stay out of range of any brain matter that'll inevitably come spewing out of their ears...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Brandonfw

• Rate Post
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2014, 23:51:26 »
I was curious about the dental as well. I was suppose to have my wisdom teeth taken out approximately two years ago, then I moved here. Didn't bother with it as I had room for them to come in, never hurt a bit either. But plan on getting them removed as one of them is chipping away...

Thanks for the info MM!

-Brandonfw
Recruiting Centre: CFVRC/Halifax
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Vehicle Tech
Trade Choice 2: Infantry
Trade Choice 3: Combat Engineer
Application Date (Online): March, 2013
Documents Received: April, 2013
File Transferred to Halifax: August 2013
First Contact: August 19th, 2013
CFAT: October 25th, 2013 PASSED
Medical Part 1: October 25th, 2013  PASSED
Interview: March 13, 2014 PASSED
Medical Part 2: March 18th, 2014 PASSED
BMQ Start Date: July 21st, 2014

Offline jakuiken

• Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:16 »
Hey everyone, looking for some advice. I've been diagnosed with mononucleosis and I leave in a week for BMQ. Has anyone be unlucky enough to be in a similar situation? What would you recommend doing? Thanks!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2015, 08:17:33 »
What would you recommend doing?

If it were me, I would contact Recruiting.

See also,

Going to BMQ quite sick 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105656.0

Having a cold and bmq 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=29308.0
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:31:28 by mariomike »

Offline jakuiken

• Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:00 »
Thankyou!!!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline Draekz

• Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2015, 13:45:50 »
*Accidently posted this originally in the ASK A RECRUITMENT OFFICER section so reposting here as I dont think that was the appropriate thread to post on**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all,

Honestly I had no idea where to ask this question so thought this would be a good place to start. Apologies if its the wrong spot!

Anyway, I was just looking over my forms (have been accepted already and such just awaiting swear in and bmq start).

So it asks for immunization records. Now I KNOW i've been immunized to all the basics you get as a kid (except measles as I got that in grade 11 or something) but I have no physical paperwork or booklet detailing my vaccines? I'm 34 and my mom wouldnt have them any longer even if she did lol. Now i read on the cdc page that there is no official record keeping of vaccinations and that the only place to MAYBE get a record would be from the place I got my vaccines in the first place.

I have no idea where that would have taken place (my mom thinks is a small medical clinic near where I currently live but is unsure). Also its been nearly 30 years since most of those would have been taken and the cdc page says they are kept for a limited time only.

Ultimately, my question is, is this booklet 100 percent needed before starting BMQ? I honestly dont have a way of getting these records, even if I could, before January 14th (swear in) and January 23rd (leave for St Jean). Theres so much other stuff yet to arrange in my personal and professional life before that date (let alone holidays which are going to throw things off as well). I've recently updated my license and I wont be getting that until January 4th! (showing how behind things are right now).

So I'm hoping its not a critical piece of information required immediately and that if it is still needed that I may have time to research and acquire it over the next several months with the help of my wife if necessary. I honestly dont recall if it was mentioned anytime during the recruiting process and if it typically isnt mentioned that perhaps it should be only because it isnt something most people use after their initial shots (or going on an exotic vacation).

Anyway, thanks for listening!! And hopefully someone can shed some good light on this for me. Its much appreciated as always.

Thanks!
Recruiting Center: Winnipeg
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Avionics Sys. Tech.
Trade Choice 2: Aviation Sys. Tech
Trade Choice 3: Intelligence Operator
Applied: October 29, 2014
First contact: November 17, 2014
CFAT: December 10th, 2014 - 7:45am - PASSED
Medical: January 28th, 2015 - 8:00am - PASSED
Interview: January 28th, 2015 - 8:00am - PASSED
Merit Listed: -
Position offered: AvS Tech
Enrollment/swearing in: January 14th, 2016 - 10:00AM
BMQ: - January 25th, 2016

Offline cadenc

• Rate Post
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2015, 14:14:14 »
*Accidently posted this originally in the ASK A RECRUITMENT OFFICER section so reposting here as I dont think that was the appropriate thread to post on**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all,

Honestly I had no idea where to ask this question so thought this would be a good place to start. Apologies if its the wrong spot!

Anyway, I was just looking over my forms (have been accepted already and such just awaiting swear in and bmq start).

So it asks for immunization records. Now I KNOW i've been immunized to all the basics you get as a kid (except measles as I got that in grade 11 or something) but I have no physical paperwork or booklet detailing my vaccines? I'm 34 and my mom wouldnt have them any longer even if she did lol. Now i read on the cdc page that there is no official record keeping of vaccinations and that the only place to MAYBE get a record would be from the place I got my vaccines in the first place.

I have no idea where that would have taken place (my mom thinks is a small medical clinic near where I currently live but is unsure). Also its been nearly 30 years since most of those would have been taken and the cdc page says they are kept for a limited time only.

Ultimately, my question is, is this booklet 100 percent needed before starting BMQ? I honestly dont have a way of getting these records, even if I could, before January 14th (swear in) and January 23rd (leave for St Jean). Theres so much other stuff yet to arrange in my personal and professional life before that date (let alone holidays which are going to throw things off as well). I've recently updated my license and I wont be getting that until January 4th! (showing how behind things are right now).

So I'm hoping its not a critical piece of information required immediately and that if it is still needed that I may have time to research and acquire it over the next several months with the help of my wife if necessary. I honestly dont recall if it was mentioned anytime during the recruiting process and if it typically isnt mentioned that perhaps it should be only because it isnt something most people use after their initial shots (or going on an exotic vacation).

Anyway, thanks for listening!! And hopefully someone can shed some good light on this for me. Its much appreciated as always.

Thanks!

Check out your nearest Access health building and ask for a record of your immunizations.

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/facilities/access.php

I needed this when applying for Red River Collage. They will probably print you out a paper that has your immunizations on it and then mail you an official copy (looks like a manitoba health card but is brown not purple). I believe this is the booklet you are talking about.

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2015, 20:30:23 »
All it will likely mean is more needles in your anatomy, to ensure you have received the recruit level of immunization. The medical folks may check titres, but they may not and just vaccinate you for "everything".

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2015, 21:27:22 »
...just vaccinate you for "everything".

The above is exactly what they did with those on both of my pl's who didn't have their records with them or easily accessible. (1st pl Sept '14, 2nd pl Feb '15)

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2015, 22:03:31 »
The above is exactly what they did with those on both of my pl's who didn't have their records with them or easily accessible. (1st pl Sept '14, 2nd pl Feb '15)

Happened on my SQ as well

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2015, 09:24:25 »
All it will likely mean is more needles in your anatomy, to ensure you have received the recruit level of immunization. The medical folks may check titres, but they may not and just vaccinate you for "everything".

And if you didn't have a Immunization Book before, you will have one now (After they inoculate you.); plus all your immunization will be documented on your medical file. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2015, 10:28:06 »
Also, take good care of that book, even after the CAF if you like traveling (more). It has helped me remember what I have been inoculated for and some countries require proof of certain vaccinations before entry.

Stay cool
ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #238 on: November 22, 2015, 10:48:09 »
Also, take good care of that book, even after the CAF if you like traveling (more). It has helped me remember what I have been inoculated for and some countries require proof of certain vaccinations before entry.

Stay cool
ME

[:D

Yes.  Do take good care of that book.  CFB Kingston Hosp/MIR lost mine three times over a period of two years.  Good thing that they keep a record of your shots on your Medical File.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline kratz

Spring is still hiding under the covers.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2015, 12:47:22 »
Now that's it's cheap and easy to do at home, I scan all my important documents / forms,
including my immunization book. I back it all up on a separate external hard drive.

This way, if I lose / misplace ect...anything important, I have a way of proving
what I had up to that date.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2015, 18:45:39 »
Now that's it's cheap and easy to do at home, I scan all my important documents / forms,
including my immunization book. I back it all up on a separate external hard drive.

This way, if I lose / misplace ect...anything important, I have a way of proving

Fine; but do you actually still have the book?

There is nothing wrong with keeping your own database/records.  If someone in the system loses your actual book, it still has to be replaced.  Something that you do not keep stocked in your 'home office'.

Online RubberTree

• Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2015, 21:02:30 »

Now that is fantastic advice. Not just for immunizations but certificates, quals, letters... Everything. You may never need it but for the 30 seconds it takes to scan and save a document, the one time you do need it will make it worthwhile.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2015, 21:15:17 »
Now that is fantastic advice. Not just for immunizations but certificates, quals, letters... Everything. You may never need it but for the 30 seconds it takes to scan and save a document, the one time you do need it will make it worthwhile.

Something that Kratz, myself and many others have told people on this site to do.  Keep your own personal "Pers File".  Always keep records of your documentation and correspondence, because Murphy's Law will come into play if you don't and you will stuck in a bad place having to start from scratch to restart/resubmit/claim/whatever. 

Offline Draekz

• Rate Post
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2015, 22:03:24 »
Check out your nearest Access health building and ask for a record of your immunizations.

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/facilities/access.php

I needed this when applying for Red River Collage. They will probably print you out a paper that has your immunizations on it and then mail you an official copy (looks like a manitoba health card but is brown not purple). I believe this is the booklet you are talking about.

Hey Thanks!!! Much appreciated :D
Recruiting Center: Winnipeg
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Avionics Sys. Tech.
Trade Choice 2: Aviation Sys. Tech
Trade Choice 3: Intelligence Operator
Applied: October 29, 2014
First contact: November 17, 2014
CFAT: December 10th, 2014 - 7:45am - PASSED
Medical: January 28th, 2015 - 8:00am - PASSED
Interview: January 28th, 2015 - 8:00am - PASSED
Merit Listed: -
Position offered: AvS Tech
Enrollment/swearing in: January 14th, 2016 - 10:00AM
BMQ: - January 25th, 2016

Offline randomgirl07

• Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: May 24, 2016, 21:46:42 »
Hey all, first time posting here so please bear with me if this is in the wrong spot! (I did search around for an answer before posting but couldn't seem to find much, so my apologies if this has been asked/answered before).

Anywho, my partner is currently in week 4 of his basic training in St Jean, QC (for crewman, if that matters). He has been sick for at least 2 weeks now, but assumed it was just the same sickness every other guy had. Turns out he had been coughing up blood clots so he finally went to the doctor, where he found out he has strep throat. The doc gave him some meds and put him on bed rest for a day (much to his displeasure), and now he's really worried that he'll get recoursed because he ended up missing two mandatory classes during his one off-day.

I guess my question is, is there any chance that people can get recoursed after missing one day? You'd think they would accommodate him since he's legitimately not well, but he seems to be worried about not being able to make up the missed classes, and having to go backwards.

I know (and he knows) that he needs to talk to his superiors there to get some concrete answers, I was just wondering if anyone else here can impart any wisdom for me that I can hopefully pass along. Thanks in advance!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #245 on: May 24, 2016, 21:51:51 »
If there's no time to make up the training, you get recoursed. The staff likely tried to accomodate, but if he's missing 2 days, including an entire mandatory day, that's a whole lot of training to be made up in a compressed schedule. It sucks, but that's how the system works.

Offline randomgirl07

• Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2016, 22:14:25 »
If there's no time to make up the training, you get recoursed. The staff likely tried to accomodate, but if he's missing 2 days, including an entire mandatory day, that's a whole lot of training to be made up in a compressed schedule. It sucks, but that's how the system works.

Thanks for the fast reply! Yeah, that's what I was worried about. He is very adamant that he's not taking a second day off, so hopefully there's a possibility he can make it up without having to start over. I'm trying to be supportive and help him to see the big picture in case that does happen (he's been trying to get into the army forever, he can start basic training again and he'll still be living his dream of being in the army, etc.) but he's not hearing it, naturally.

If you don't mind explaining to me (or can kindly point me in the right direction), what exactly happens when somebody gets re-coursed? Do they just go back to week 1 the next week? Or do they need to wait until there's another class starting? Do they even have new training classes starting every week? I'm pretty uninformed about how the whole process works, and haven't found a ton of info so far (however I could just be looking in the wrong spots).

Thanks again for the response :)

Offline randomgirl07

• Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2016, 22:16:42 »
See also,

BMQ Recourse 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=112471.0
"A guy got sick in week 10 (farnham for us) and got to start at week 10 when he was better."

Recoursed? Ill During BMQ/ options + help 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=29974.0

answeres to bmq 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13736.0
"i got sick and missed two days of first aid so i got recoursed."

Re-coursed sick
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+recoursed&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sAdFV7DBAYyN8QfZ1qywAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+recoursed+sick

Whoops, didn't see this before I posted a ton of questions about getting recoursed that look like they can be answered here. Thanks so much!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2016, 22:18:48 »
Whoops, didn't see this before I posted a ton of questions about getting recoursed that look like they can be answered here. Thanks so much!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:15 »
I got recourse in week 11, for missing 12.5 hours of training. I passed out, got sent to the MIR and ordered on bed rest. If you miss more than 12 hours training in the field at BMQ it's an automatic recourse. And even though I felt better after 8 hours, you are not allowed (as a recruit anyway) to go against what the MIR prescribes.
I went to warrior platoon to wait for a spot on the next platoon to open. I was able to start back at week 10, after being on warrior for a week, so I only lost 1 week of training.
If you take more than 3 months to "get better" you get recourse to week zero. If you take less than 3 months, you get recourse to when you started missing class (for example: get injured week 2, go to PAT platoon week 5, heal, go back to a platoon in their week 2).
There may not be platoons with open spots every week, so the waiting sucks. When I did BMQ there was only room for max 60 recruits per platoon. You started with 75 people, a bunch of people were always recoursed or VR'd by the end of week zero, so you were down to max 60 by end of week 2. There has to be less than 60 people before you can add more people later from PAT platoon.