Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]  (Read 140421 times)

private_cowboy

Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 16:18:00 »
ok first of all everyone keeps asking questions on the physical side of basic training physically its not very hard, mentally its harder, u get close to no sleep, your **** on all day, and dont worry about doing something perfect there is no such thing, even if you do do it right they will make things up, and if the person next to you doesnt have his **** perfect and you do your gonna get raped by the instructor asking you why your shits perfect and his is not, your a team you work as one. i loved my platoon but we were rotten, 47 of us in teh beginning and 25 in the end. i got sick and missed two days of first aid so i got recoursed. and age dont worry about being to old or two  youngn we had some people that were 17 and nsome that went as old as 40.

BF Hawkeye Pierce

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 16:21:00 »
47 then 25 at the end  :(  ****. I remember reading on this forum that 96% (or somewhere close) made it and the other 4% had left because injury or another reason.   :confused:

private_cowboy

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 16:34:00 »
well... our platoon was more hardcore than the rest. our sister platoon had it pretty easy so everything that we had to do and they didnt, we also had to do for them. most platoons only lose around 4-5 people out of 60 some ours had some pretty hard *** instructors. but im happy i went through the experience with my platoon and no one elses gives a more realistic take on the military we all wanted the full metal jacket experience and the experience we had made full metal jacket look like a cake walk wich it was. we even had a few gomer pile experiences like when the older guy fell out of line when we were running and couldnt get up, the instructors were liek get teh **** up what the **** is your problem are you going to die on me... sigh  im going back i feel out of place now

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 17:13:00 »
First you say its not very hards, and then you say full metal jacket look like a cake walk compared to it?
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 19:32:00 »
In my opinion, the figure of 96% success rate of passing BMQ is correct.  But theres a further
context to it.

This is not to scare anyone and it always best to
speak to your recruiter at the CFRC if you have any questions.

Out of every BMQ platoon, there are a few who do not pass the original course.  Most of these are "recoursed", or placed on a personnel
awaiting training platoons (PAT) until the next
course starts up.  Some seek a voluntary release,
others may get a medical discharge if they cannot
continue with training.

As an example, the platoon I was on started with
58 recruits and gradutated 48.

We had:
1 VR; 1 guy was placed on PAT because of a torn
tendon in the knee and could not meet PT
standards; 1 guy inflamed a previous elbow tendonitis problem and couldn‘t perform push-ups, he was recoursed; 1 guy acquired a foot infection
and the recovery time made him loose too many
classes and was recoursed; 2 guys were temporarily
attached to our platoon only for the first three
weeks (fitness retest after an injury), 1 person
acquired a foot stress fracture during forced
marches later in the course and was placed on PAT, 2 people failed the weapons handling re-test and were recoursed, 1 person was unable to complete the field exercises due to stress and was recoursed.

Out of the 10 recruits that could not graduate with our original platoon, 9 were placed on
PAT, allowed to recover, and placed into another
or future platoon.  I know them and they are  dedicated people.  They‘ll pass/have passed their
next course.

BMQ is by far a soft course physically by military standards.  Yet, it can be quite a
shock for civilians/recruits pschologically (sp). I guess most members on the forum may have similar
experiences.  

If you don‘t do silly things like horse around,and  keep healthy, get as much sleep as possible, take care of your feet, watch that you don‘t inflame training injuries, you should be
alright and avoid missing too many classes.

This is not to say everyone won‘t have problems.
Blisters, pulled muscles, sore feet, chronic fatigue, physical fatigue will effect everyone
at least sometime in the course.  Just keep
going and maintain a sense of humour.

Offline Pte.OShea

• "Waldo"
  • Fallen Comrade
  • Reservist
    • Calgary Highlanders
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2004, 19:41:00 »
BMQ isn‘t difficult. SQ and BIQ, though, I‘m not going to say anything. I‘m on both of those for the entire summer, back to back in Wainwright.
War is a matter of vital importance to the state; a matter of life or death, the road either to survival or to ruin. Hence, it is imperative that it be studied thoroughly -Sun Tzu

private_cowboy

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2004, 22:56:00 »
its tough but not physically tough, its just mental.

Offline absent_element

• Rate Post
  • hi claurice....
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 22:58:00 »
Thanks Bert for your post.

I‘m going Aug 2. I want to know everything I possibly can.
$quot;Laws change, justice remains the same.
   ---Odo Chief Security officer of Deep Space 9

Offline weap tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 21:41:31 »
I am taking all my completed forms to the Recruiting office in Saint John NB on Tuesday for WEAPONS TECHNICIAN, Reserves. Please tell me when you get needles and how many.  :crybaby:
TREVOR

Offline Sundborg

• Rate Post
  • AB
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 23:35:14 »
I am taking all my completed forms to the Recruiting office in Saint John NB on Tuesday for WEAPONS TECHNICIAN, Reserves. Please tell me when you get needles and how many.   :crybaby:

Well first off, wait until you get your foot in the door before you start worrying about this stuff.
Don't look back; stay out of the mud.

D-n-A

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2004, 23:55:58 »
During the recruting process you will not see any needles.

However on BMQ(on mine atleast) we got a few shots, bring your vaccination records when you go on course, it could save you from getting some of the shots. I did, I only ended up getting two shots, while some buddys got 5-6.

Offline MikeM

• Rate Post
    • Lightfighter Tactical
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2004, 01:44:58 »
Agreed, don't worry about the needles until you get to BMQ. But when you go, make sure you take vaccination records, it saved me from a whole bunch of needles, while others who did have all their vaccinations up to date and didn't bring the records still got their shots.

Needles is the least of the worries, and they aren't anything big, they are all the common shots for stuff like measles, mumps, rubella, etc... all the childhood ones and ones for polio and tetnus as well as more I think.

LanceaLot

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2004, 03:16:09 »
Don't worry, the nurses are nice and they will hold your hand if you cry. ;)

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2004, 05:22:29 »
Why is it that you can put a weapon in a guy's hands and he will shoot or stab anything that comes in his path, but the moment you bring out a needle that's less that an inch long and they cry like little children?

Heaven help you if you go overseas and need to be vaccinated for everything.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2004, 11:08:58 »
I have no idea where my vaccination records are (I'm sure my mother does), but I think I'd just as soon get them all redone just for peace of mind.  There's no harm in getting vaccinated again, is there?   I missed the measles vaccination in high school, so I've always been a little paranoid about not being vaccinated.

Needles don't bother me at all.  Probably because when I was younger I had to get weekly allergy shots, and then in high school I had to get monthly blood drawn because of a medication I was taking. 

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2004, 11:24:28 »
You'll get a ton of needles if you don't have your book.  MMR (measles, mumps rubella), tetanus/diphtheria, polio, yellow fever, typhoid, meningitis, hep A & B, plus the TB test. It doesn't end on basic training either, some of them like typhoid you get every 3 years. I think we had 3 needle parades when I was BOTC.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

LanceaLot

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2004, 15:54:12 »
uh oh. I don't have any kind of book, but I had all my needles....maybe i will need that nurse to hold my hand  :crybaby:

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2004, 16:38:53 »
Reservist need not worry too much about needles until they are deploying overseas....

But if you wanna count there a number of diffrent injections:

MMR, Mennigitis, Hep A, Hep B, Tetnus/Diptheria, Typhoid, are the most common.

PPD (TB test) isn't a vaccination, its a screening.

Also there are area specific ones like yellow fever, anthrax,

and also oral ingested vaccines like malaria.

Look under the WHO site for travellers and see them all.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Kevin_B

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 10:01:27 »
Is there any harm in getting a vaccination you've had before?

Offline MikeM

• Rate Post
    • Lightfighter Tactical
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 12:07:55 »
Nope, there is no harm what so ever, that was one of the first questions we asked when we got to needle parade for the first time at BMQ.

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 14:14:37 »
There may be no harm in getting a vaccination you've had over again, but it can't do you any benefit either.  The Health Canada nurse who immunized all of us federal workers at my workplace - the airport in Toronto - told me I should've had the CF call her before sticking me with any needles last summer.  I didn't have the immunization records she conveniently had given me, but she could have faxed them over her copies.

Oh well, lesson learned.

I now take my immunization record and travel immunization booklet everywhere I go while wearing the cadpat, just in case.

portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 14:25:20 »
Wow, I've never had any needles in the reserves.

I can't wait until I go overseas.. I get a tonne of needles, AND my wisdom teeth pulled.. :)

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 15:35:29 »
If you haven't had Hep A & B, you might want to look into getting them done now. For Hep A you get one shot then 6 months later you get the second.  Hep B is 3 shots, the 2nd one a month after the first and the 3rd one 6 months later.  The rest of them are a one dose deal, it might make your tour request go a little easier since you'd have one less hang up. That's just my opinion though, I've never done a tour as a reservist.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2004, 15:41:15 »
I've had Hep A and Hep B already, plus a couple of the other standard ones that are given out in Alberta. I'll hace to check my records, but I'm too lazy to dig 'em up right now. (in fact everyone in high school was jealous because I'd already had Hep B, so I didn't have to get those shots when they all did). I just haven't had any vaccinations through the military, for the more exotic diseases...

Offline WProhphet

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 16:54:20 »
Well, I'm starting 4th week of BMQ here in Saint-Jean right now.  I'm going regular forces however.   But we got our vacc's second week, and the first day of  third they got blood for the blood tests (women were exempt because they need to do the blood work before giving the women vacc's [checks for pregnancy etc]).  So they had us all lined up in the MIR waiting to have our blood taken, and we are a platoon of 60 people (or were at the time, 5 people VR'd that week) and so the process of waiting in line is long.  Anyways, one guy had his blood taken and of course they boot you out of the seat and off into another line right away.  He was looking a little pale and so we asked him if he was alright.  He said yes of course, (our platoon is 90% infantry, myself included so its natural you get a lot of macho attitudes).  Anyways, not 30 seconds later he fell straight back.  He was just out of range of anyone grabbing him and he smoked his head on the ground.  I swear it was one of the sickest sounds I have ever heard.  And of course he bled like a sonofab*tch.  So that in turn made a bunch of other guys queasy