Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]  (Read 146072 times)

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2009, 12:28:50 »
Further, for PT standards, are we allowed to do pushups on our knuckles?  I get wrist pain when doing large repetitions on my palms and was cusious whether we could do them on our knuckles after the express test?

For every day pushups doled out by your staff, you should be able to do them on your knuckles, I've had staff that did them like that. But on CF Express I believe you must do them on your palms. Good luck.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2009, 14:00:53 »
ofcoarse i am unsure of your wrist conditions. But i get sore wrists to when doing push-ups on occassion. Try putting more weight on your palm and less on your fingers. Just a suggestion, it may help.

Offline new_man12

• Rate Post
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2009, 00:01:36 »
Well if I report the injury will they recourse me to another date or do you think I'll be merit listed again?  I've already sworn in and everything...and I guess signed all the paperwork.  Could I get released for an injury?

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:22 »
I'm not entirely sure, but i'm guessing you would get recoursed.

Offline Good2Go

• Rate Post
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2009, 18:50:18 »
It *should* be a re-crse (meaning you should not have to go through the boards again)... Pls be upfront with the CFRC you are dealing with.  You do NOT want to get to ELRFC and go onto PAT.  The MIR (hospital) is not the best in comparison with the med facilities at other bases (IMHO).  And, if you get to ELRFC and are forced onto PAT it is extremely likely that you will be requ to stay there (i.e. you would not be eligible to go to an attach posting on OJT).  Keep in mind that BMOQ (unlike BMQ) does NOT have new plts starting up every week, so you will prolly be on PAT for a min of four months.  NOT FUN!!!

Can you give us more details on this injury?

Also, the CF EXPRES test has very specific form (esp for pushups).  If you do not follow the form, the pushups will not count.  I will check with PSP on Mon to see if you can do the test with knuckle pushups but I highly doubt it.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2009, 09:04:22 »
The MIR (hospital) is not the best in comparison with the med facilities at other bases (IMHO).

Really?  And how many other bases have you been on to make this comparison?  I would think that the MIR at CFLRC is extremely busy compared to most others.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Johnson101

• Rate Post
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2009, 14:06:24 »
If you get injured before basic and not sure if it will heal by the time you leave what happens? D you get recoursed?
Recruting Center: London
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice: Infantry
CFAT completed : July 2009
Application: January 30, 2017
First Contact: February 1, 2017
Re-enrolment Interview: March 14, 2017
Medical: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Enrollment/swearing in: TBD

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2009, 14:25:51 »
If you get injured before basic and not sure if it will heal by the time you leave what happens? D you get recoursed?

Nevermind, I misread what Johnson has written.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 15:07:37 by SupersonicMax »

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2009, 14:38:12 »
You realize this thread is almost 1 year and 2 months old?

Max:  See this thread:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,87278.0.html

Johnson101:  I am too out of date to be confident in anything I may say.  But I'd suggest using the "search" feature in the Recruiting threads - using the keyword "injury".  If you're not sure how to go about a search, PM me, and I'll walk you through it.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2010, 06:28:16 »
Ouch thats alot of injections...If you did blood work as part of your medical supplmentary review do you still have to do it at BMQ...

Does anyone know how one goes about requesting ones vaccination record if ones physician does not have it...
:)

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2010, 06:47:06 »

Does anyone know how one goes about requesting ones vaccination record if ones physician does not have it...

You can find that answer on Google
"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline CB145

• Rate Post
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2010, 17:59:11 »
Quick question about prescription medication - I have found conflicting info on if you're allowed to have it at BMQ or not. 

I am very fit, healthy and active 24 year old, but take prescription medication daily for a joint condition.  With the medication, I am fine, without, I can function but am in pain (if I were deployed and lost my meds, I would not 'be a danger to myself or co-workers' - just would not be comfortable.)  I have gone over all the CFHS  documents in detail but found no info regarding if you can have prescription meds while doing your BMQ. 

I've found info on the forums here that you have to be off of them for 6 months, off for 1 year, not off at all...  I know you're not dr's, but was hoping someone has some details on what exactly is allowed at BMQ!  If can't take them, then I have an option of taking a stronger med for a while then just going off of it (my dr wouldn't be pleased, but I've done it before and gone for 6 months with normal physical health). 

I will be going into the recruiting office as soon as I can take a vacation day (the only recruiting centre near me is only open on days that I work) - was hoping to get in while my work was closed for the holidays, but lo and behold they closed for the exact days I had off...of course!  In the meantime, any info would be appreciated!

aesop081

« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2010, 18:15:15 »
You will not be allowed any prescription medication that has not been prescribed by the CF medical system. That is for your entire CF career. If you are on medication now, this will have to be approved by CF doctors in order for you to continue taking it while in the CF.

Offline snowball17

• Rate Post
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2010, 18:18:44 »
Now, I am not an expert by any means, I can only speak from what I know, and that is from working as a file manager at a recruiting centre. Last time I checked the SOP's it states that as long as you disclose all of your previous medical history and list of medications you are currently taking, it is up to the medical staff to determine if you are "fit". If you are "fit" you are allowed to take prescription medication to basic as long as you have a filled prescription along with a written prescription from your family doctor that can be filled at the MIR during your training in St. Jean. I hope this answers your question, anything else please feel free to PM me:)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2010, 23:50:35 »
The answer to your question will differ depending on whether you are Regular or Reserve.

I'm not entirely sure about how this works for Reservists anymore (haven't been one for over 25 years), but I would suggest you take your medication with you and discuss it with the folks at the MIR when you get there.

If you are Regular, your doctor is no longer your doctor.  In fact, you are prohibited from using any provincial medical system (unless the CF sends you to a facility).  The CF is entirely responsible for your medical care now and you will have to have your condition assessed and treated by the CF medical system.  Don't worry, I haven't seen a long hot wire or leeches in years  ;D!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2011, 10:19:37 »
  Don't worry, I haven't seen a long hot wire or leeches in years  ;D!
But do they still use the square needles for the testicles in Basic?
Or did they leave them all in Cornwallis?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2011, 14:19:34 »
They left them in Cornwallis...however there are some blunt, large bore one's we still use for some people and their conditions  ::).

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2011, 18:49:45 »
Take your prescriptions with you. During intake, your requirements will be assessed and a decision made. Make sure you mention your Rx at the earliest suitable time, so that there is sufficient opportunity to get seen by the medical staff.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline RCollins04

• Rate Post
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:04 »
Hi everyone. Bad news here..I'm due to start basic the 25th and have sprained my wrist fairly bad. I am about 75% sure that it isn't broken but not all sure. I swore in the other week and am wondering what my next step should be and if I will lose my job from this? I am hoping I will only he postponed for basic but I can't be sure. Any info? Thanks.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2011, 02:24:44 »
Go see a doctor would be the first step.
Pain is temporary. Pride is eternal.

Offline Booty22

• Loves life
  • Rate Post
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:08 »
Go see a doctor would be the first step.

Very blunt, but true. Go see a doc, then I'd go to your CFRC and let them know what's up.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:38 »
Definitely see a doctor... then the recruiting centre.

Offline Linehan.ca

• Rate Post
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2012, 21:28:59 »
I hate myself for writing this:

So I got my call Monday to be in Montreal on Saturday for the 30th. No biggy other than I've been letting myself go by working two jobs and playing dad at the same time and I have pneumonia. I've been busting myself all this week to try to get myself ready with the grim conclusion that I'm going to the warrior course. Now mind you I'm not saying that as me being lazy, I'm just being truthful. How Much is showing up to CFRLS with a pack of antibiotics and an inhaler going to screw me over come Monday? I'm not one to roll over and give up but I'm also not one who believes I'm bulletproof either, and right now I know that my lungs are bad at the moment with this damned infection causing me to have a hard time to pound out a km without pain.

Do I just approach BMQ honestly, and do the warrior and redeem myself on the other side of it. Or Push myself through the Expres test and possibly hold my platoon down when it comes to doing the jogs.?

Offline PJGary

• Rate Post
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2012, 23:00:02 »
No one expects you to be a superhuman, we all have human bodies, we all get sick (Including your instructors).

Show up, they will see your prescription, tell them you're sick, and try your damnedest. You've waited how long for this opportunity right?

Your first while there, it's alot of classroom anyways, you're not running the gauntlet and crawling under barbed wire day one. If you fail the PT test, which you wont be the only one, you get another chance later, it's a long(ish) course. You have alot of time to heal and alot of opportunities to do your best on PT and get in better shape.

To sum up, if you want it badly, try hard, don't quit, your best is all that can be asked of you.

-Cheers!
Cù-Chaorach

The 3 rules of the army:

Rule #1: Always look cool.
Rule #2: Always know what you're doing.
Rule #3: If you don't know what you're doing...always look cool.

Offline Itsmey

• Rate Post
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:07 »
Hello,

I got in and am now waiting for the BMQ to start (*this summer*). Medically, all went fine and I got in. The doctor asked me "do you have XYZ" and I said "Well some eczema comes out at times, but I never got a need for some prescription or such, except a sample I was given once. I did have eczema when I was 7-8 but it disappeared after the doctors gave me some cream". The doctor just answered "who cares, you can check no". Apart from that, I have nothing else at all (except flower/animal allergies).

Problem: I dont' know why it has to come out now, but it is coming out of no where on a few fingers and on an arm. It doesn't itch much - I'm going to survive - but it's not "pretty".

Can this cancel my BMQ for "administrative reasons"? Heck, it's "only" eczema. I don't want this to be an annoyance during BMQ, honestly - both physically or with my superiors.

Thanks in advance,

Not-that-lucky-guy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:03:30 by Itsmey »