Author Topic: Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017  (Read 206297 times)

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
Re: 1 Apr 14 Pay Increase
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 21:49:34 »
Ooooooohhh, look at that.  The "respect me because I stand on the wall" argument....
If that's your take-away from what I said, or the point I was trying to make, then you ain't gettin' it. Read back a few posts and see if it makes any more sense to you... on second thought, don't bother.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:38 »
We're not allowed to picket, as I'm sure you know. You can bet there'd be quite a few CF members willing to risk their money on a picket line to get better compensation and benefits, after all, we're expected to have to risk our lives right?

Are you serious?  How much better of a pay raise do you think you would get that wouldn't get eaten up by the loss of income for the period for which you didn't get paid?

I always tell people that if money is your biggest motivation, then military service is not the way to go, but for the most part, we're paid pretty well (especiially if you consider the amount of training and education you DON'T need to join and which we provide).  If you plan your life and don't expect to move into a mansion with an SUV and boat straight out of BMQ, then you can live pretty comfortably.  Furthermore, we have a host of other benefits that those in the private sector can only dream about. We're also paid without interruption and don't have to worry about layoffs.

Some folks don't seem to know how good they have it.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:42 »
There is no need to goad or insult each other.

Different jobs, different conditions, different rules.

We all made the choices that we did.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:53 »
Whether or not the CF deserves a pay raise is outside of my lanes, but based on the historical record, there has been a pay raise implemented effective every 1 Apr since 1997. So based on the trend -- there is probably one coming in 2014.

Sun goes up, sun goes down, after a while you start to trust it.

Offline marinemech

• Rate Post
    • NAVY.CA
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 11:47:25 »
With them trimming the fat, it all depends on the budgets. Only can wait and see.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 11:58:08 »
Are you serious?  How much better of a pay raise do you think you would get that wouldn't get eaten up by the loss of income for the period for which you didn't get paid?

I never said I'd be one of those people, it was simply a response to the fact that we should be thankful someone is willing to walk a picket line for us, which I think is BS.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 14:24:36 »
Because one of my corporals-now-newly-minted-Master-Corporal just asked, thought I'd post it where most relevant.

I haven't otherwise seen the new scales, they're not on the Web site yet either.

"Approved wage increases for Non-commissioned members, General Service Officers, Pilots in the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and below, and medical and dental officers are 1.75% for 2011-2012, 1.50% for 2012-2013, and 2.00% for 2013-2014. Included in the pay increases are adjustments of 0.25% for fiscal year (FY) 2011-2012 and 0.50% for FY 2013-2014 in consideration of the changes to the severance benefit."

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/pay-increase-backgrounder.page

« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 14:32:05 »
So, how has this anything to do with FY14-15??

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 15:07:45 »
Somehow I don't expect a pay raise this year.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 15:34:40 »
So, how has this anything to do with FY14-15??

Dunno, that's all I could find. I'd hoped it was a starting point, but...

Any number crunchers out there?
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 15:38:38 »
National Defence Act, s. 12

Treasury Board’s power to make regulations

(3) The Treasury Board may make regulations

(a) prescribing the rates and conditions of issue of pay of military judges, the Director of Military Prosecutions and the Director of Defence Counsel Services;

(b) prescribing the forfeitures and deductions to which the pay and allowances of officers and non-commissioned members are subject; and

(c) providing for any matter concerning the pay, allowances and reimbursement of expenses of officers and non-commissioned members for which the Treasury Board considers regulations are necessary or desirable to carry out the purposes or provisions of this Act.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 16:38:26 »

There are no numbers to crunch yet.  There won't be any numbers to crunch until most if not all Public Service unions negotiate new collective agreements this year, which will establish new benchmarks for the CF pay to be based upon.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 17:34:56 »

Current pay tables reflect all the adjustments you mentioned.
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 14:13:22 »
I'm not holding my breathe for one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/financial-transparency-motion-approved-at-tory-convention-in-wake-of-senate-scandal/article15232241/

"One of the motions – to claw back public-sector pay and benefits to private-sector standards – was backed by Treasury Board President Tony Clement, the federal government's point man on reaching contracts with its civil service.

"This is exactly our position going into the next round of bargaining. For too long, there has been this major gap in wages and benefits between the public and the private sector, where the public sector is considerably more than the private sector norms.  This is not sustainable, it’s not right, it’s not conservative and it’s not in the public interest," Mr. Clement said to cheers from the convention Saturday, urging delegates to back the motion, which they did."

i trranslate as a possible - no pay increase and welcome back to the dark ages.  I can see it going down as "we will leave the pension as is if you forego an increase."  Winners all around, they union boss can brag how they saved the pension and the goverment can brag how they held they unionized pay at par.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 14:42:58 »
I'm not holding my breathe for one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/financial-transparency-motion-approved-at-tory-convention-in-wake-of-senate-scandal/article15232241/

"One of the motions – to claw back public-sector pay and benefits to private-sector standards – was backed by Treasury Board President Tony Clement, the federal government's point man on reaching contracts with its civil service.

"This is exactly our position going into the next round of bargaining. For too long, there has been this major gap in wages and benefits between the public and the private sector, where the public sector is considerably more than the private sector norms.  This is not sustainable, it’s not right, it’s not conservative and it’s not in the public interest," Mr. Clement said to cheers from the convention Saturday, urging delegates to back the motion, which they did."

i trranslate as a possible - no pay increase and welcome back to the dark ages.  I can see it going down as "we will leave the pension as is if you forego an increase."  Winners all around, they union boss can brag how they saved the pension and the goverment can brag how they held they unionized pay at par.

To be fair, the policy of the Conservative Party of Canada =/= the policy of the Conservative government.  There are plenty of items in the Conservatives' declaration on policy that will never become government policy for a variety of reasons.
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 17:52:21 »
Does anyone know who my union rep is I can talk to about all my unpaid overtime, or that I make less then my subordinates/peers?

It'd be nice if they just set a standard annual inflation rate of some sort for our pay and left it at that, rather then tying it to the various PS negotiations, as some of those go for years.

Based on the fact that the MPs voted themselves large wage increases, don't think expecting a cost of living pay adjustment is unreasonable.  Particularly given the current govt penchant for short notice/retroactive changes to a number of different military benefits over the last few years.  I'd be more sympathetic about their desire to cut costs if I didn't see the legions of MPs and their numerous minions burning through hundreds of millions a year without any real accountability.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 18:01:15 »
Does anyone know who my union rep is I can talk to about all my unpaid overtime, or that I make less then my subordinates/peers?

The "military factor" that is added to the PS comparability includes overtime, so it is paid.

And if subordinates make more than you it likely means that they are in tech trades - and have skills that have been assessed as being valuable.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 19:41:58 »
And if subordinates make more than you it likely means that they are in tech trades - and have skills that have been assessed as being valuable.

Spec 1 IPC 4 Cpl makes more than Sgt Standard IPC 4  8).

Think about those MH AES Op Cpls that are on Det.  Spec pay, aircrew allowance, sea duty pay AND PLD.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline Spectrum

sociopath since 2007.

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 19:50:40 »
How are the gals out that way?   ;D

See you soon!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 19:56:40 »
How are the gals out that way?   ;D

See you soon!

HRM or Valley?   8)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 20:07:18 »
HRM or Valley?   8)

Remember this landmark:  Spring Garden Road    :nod:

At the risk of enraging the east coast fleet, Victoria is still better.  ;)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 20:10:12 »
Spring Garden Road    :nod:

8)  and the waterfront during the summer.  Lower Deck.  Stuff like that too!

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 20:24:05 »
Spec 1 IPC 4 Cpl makes more than Sgt Standard IPC 4  8).

Think about those MH AES Op Cpls that are on Det.  Spec pay, aircrew allowance, sea duty pay AND PLD.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wow, I had to look just to be sure but you're right and sure enough you were.

Makes me wonder why the CF has problems recruiting into the trades that receive "spec" pay.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 20:29:58 »
Makes me wonder why the CF has problems recruiting into the trades that receive "spec" pay.

Probably because most of their civvie jobs make even more.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 20:39:00 »
The "military factor" that is added to the PS comparability includes overtime, so it is paid.

:off topic:

Not really, ENG 4s make more then LCdrs (until they start topping out the IPCs), who are Eng 5 equivalents.  I'm only a two ringer (ENG 4 equivalent), so will need to get promoted then spend years at that rank before starting to make the same as someone doing my job now as a civilian.  Still, wasn't uncommon on the ship to have a bunch of folks reporting to you to gross more then you due to the combination of time in rank, spec pay, and also the higher end of the sea pay scale, so not really a big deal. 

No real skin off my nose; I thought they were smart to negotiate their retention bonus into their pay.  Same on the ship; anyone getting near the top end of the sea pay rates has put in a lot more time away from home then I'll ever have to not being a hard sea trade, so they deserve it.

The only thing that actually annoys me working in ADM(Mat) is that while we don't get overtime, shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the short leave at xmas.  My section was rubber stamped, but others were given a blanket denial.  Little thing, but pretty big disatisfier, and another one of the small things that have people looking at second careers already.  Does make the ENG 5 jobs look attractive though!

Anyway, not really relevant to the thread, but I'm sure there are probably lots of folks in uniform making more then their civilian counterparts, so it probably all balances out in the end.

Do miss Halifax this time of year though!  Although have to admit that much to my surprise Ottawa (Gatineau in particular) has it's own charm this time of year.  Not quite Spring Garden Road, but have been distracted enough to trip while jogging around the river by OttawaU.