Author Topic: CAF Banking and Financial health [merged]  (Read 39678 times)

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
CAF Banking and Financial health [merged]
« on: February 04, 2014, 15:27:35 »
Quick question , pretty straightforward , I was wondering when you are in the Reg Forces , what's the best bank to be using ? like which bank is available on every base ? Right now I'm using BMO , but I was wondering if I should switch to Banque Nationale ? or CIBC or any other bank for that matter !?

Thanks a lot !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: CAF Banking and Financial health [merged]
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 15:33:53 »
Any one but the blood bank.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 15:35:56 »
lol  :facepalm: but there is bank available on base for pretty much every big branch lol?
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 15:36:39 »
Don't worry about what is the best bank to have.  That is a choice you can make according to your own preferences.  There is usually a Bank of Montreal, TD, Scotiabank, or Royal Bank in close proximity to all Bases.  National Banks are a lot more rare as you go West, where you may find more Credit Unions that are more rare in the East.  Most other Banks are available in any larger metropolitan area.  You also have your Bank Card which you can use in any InterAct machine, or as a Debit Card, so it really doesn't matter.  If you have a Trade that involves getting posted a lot, it is a real hassle to have to change Banks every time and really is not necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 15:37:35 »
Quick question , pretty straightforward , I was wondering when you are in the Reg Forces , what's the best bank to be using ? like which bank is available on every base ? Right now I'm using BMO , but I was wondering if I should switch to Banque Nationale ? or CIBC or any other bank for that matter !?

Thanks a lot !

It all boils down to personal preference.  Right now, I believe the CF has an arrangement with BMO for some services but not entirely certain just exactly which ones.

Here is the link ---->  http://www.bmo.com/cdcb/

Choose for yourself!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 15:42:06 »
Currently, BMO is the CAF's bank - check out the Morale and Welfare website for information on the packages they offer CAF members.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 16:15:28 »
Currently, BMO is the CAF's bank - check out the Morale and Welfare website for information on the packages they offer CAF members.

Now that's not entirely true, is it?  BMO may have struck a deal with CFPSA to create the CDCB Program, but they're hardly the "CAF's bank".  Some of the features of the plan are attractive...if you like paying bank fees, that is.  I don't think their deals are all that great, personally - but YMMV.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 16:28:11 »
Ok then, official bank of the defence community, then.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 16:31:43 »
After the fiasco with the B of M in Petawawa and the way they did business in Lahr ( although not really a Canadian Bank ), I will never deal with that bank again.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 16:33:47 »
like which bank is available on every base

Define "available on every base".

If you're expecting to actually see a branch of one or more banks on a base, stop that now.

If you a referring to internet banking, then you can find almost every bank on the planet.

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 16:36:30 »
After the fiasco with the B of M in Petawawa and the way they did business in Lahr ( although not really a Canadian Bank ), I will never deal with that bank again.

Do tell?

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 16:43:13 »
I got royally screwed oved by the BofM in Pembroke when I was just a young lad..........haven't ever stepped foot in one since.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 16:47:04 »
The B of M that was on Base Petawawa was accessing Pers Fin Records through the Pay Office without pers giving them permission.  They then closed the Bank on Base and moved all their accts to Pembroke, and did not notify pers who where deployed or posted to other locations, freezing all those accts.   When I returned from Germany, I had to track down the Bank and my Savings Acct, only to find it had been frozen and no interest had been accrued.  That sucked.

The B of M in CFE, was B of M in name only, but actually an American bank who B of M allowed to use their name.  All accts were still in Cdn dollars though.  One got much better service at one of the German banks.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 16:53:07 »
Now that's not entirely true, is it?  BMO may have struck a deal with CFPSA to create the CDCB Program, but they're hardly the "CAF's bank".  Some of the features of the plan are attractive...if you like paying bank fees, that is.  I don't think their deals are all that great, personally - but YMMV.

Key words "struck a deal with CFPSA".  As a fairly educated manager of my own money, I have to agree with the remainder of your statement, as it seems like it is nothing more than a "fee for service" provider, some of which services can be had elsewhere for free.  I myself get annoyed, when SISIP financial services are pushed at you, again for a low low monthly "fee".
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 16:54:14 »
The B of M that was on Base Petawawa was accessing Pers Fin Records through the Pay Office without pers giving them permission.  They then closed the Bank on Base and moved all their accts to Pembroke, and did not notify pers who where deployed or posted to other locations, freezing all those accts.   When I returned from Germany, I had to track down the Bank and my Savings Acct, only to find it had been frozen and no interest had been accrued.  That sucked.

The B of M in CFE, was B of M in name only, but actually an American bank who B of M allowed to use their name.  All accts were still in Cdn dollars though.  One got much better service at one of the German banks.

Seen. Not to sidetrack from the thread but surely someone in the pay office got a stern talking to over the matter.

What irony it is to see the BMO cash machine at the Canex plaza once again eh.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 17:00:47 »
What irony it is to see the BMO cash machine at the Canex plaza once again eh.

How soon things are forgotten.

Back to Banking.  If you have a favourite bank, as long as it is a "national" bank, found right across Canada, not a local or Provincial bank, you should be fine.  Credit Unions are not found everywhere. 

MikeL

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 17:05:09 »
lol  :facepalm: but there is bank available on base for pretty much every big branch lol?

I don't believe any CFB has a bank on it, at best you may see a certain bank's ATM machine somewhere in the Canex plaza on base.  As has been said, there are usually a variety of banks located near the base in the local town/city. As well, you can usually complete a number of your banking needs online. I'd recommend going with a national bank(eg a bank that would be in most/all provinces).

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 17:10:22 »
President's choice financial. I've been with them for years.  When I deployed to Afghanistan, my tenant wrote me cheques for the whole year, PC let me send them in and automagically deposited them without any problems.

They were also available (through CIBC, their parent company) to help me out with the sale of my house and posting across the country.  By the time I had arrived in my new destination, the bank draft was ready to go to pay for my new house.  Very efficient and recommended by me.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 17:35:24 »
ING now offers cheque deposit via smartphone: take a picture of the front & back using their app, type a bit of info, and they will deposit it - then send you an email to destroy the cheque.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 09:47:33 »
ING now offers cheque deposit via smartphone: take a picture of the front & back using their app, type a bit of info, and they will deposit it - then send you an email to destroy the cheque.

Now that you mention it, so does CIBC.  Also, CIBC has teamed with at least Rogers to provide an NFC sim card so you can "pay pass" with your phone in select businesses.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:44 »
Only works with the fol type of phones:

BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy S III with Near Field Communication (NFC).

And the fol types of credit cards:

CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™Card
CIBC Aero Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card
CIBC Aventura® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® MasterCard® Card
CIBC bizline® Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa ™Card for Students
CIBC Dividend Unlimited™ World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Dividend Platinum® card
CIBC Dividend Card®
CIBC Platinum Visa™ card
CIBC PETRO-POINTS™ MasterCard® Card
CIBC Select Visa™ Card
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:10 »
Perfect, I have an S3 and was looking to get a new CC that gave me travel point options so my damn roller derby trips cost less...

BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy S III with Near Field Communication (NFC).

And the fol types of credit cards:

CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™Card
CIBC Aero Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card
CIBC Aventura® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® MasterCard® Card
CIBC bizline® Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa ™Card for Students
CIBC Dividend Unlimited™ World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Dividend Platinum® card
CIBC Dividend Card®
CIBC Platinum Visa™ card
CIBC PETRO-POINTS™ MasterCard® Card
CIBC Select Visa™ Card
Adsum

Offline Sharp

• Rate Post
  • Grand Wizard
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 11:47:43 »
I'm with CIBC right now and from what I've learned from them is that you can snap a picture of your cheque using their terrible software (might take a 30 or 40 tries, but it'll work) and it'll go straight into your account. I also have one of those VISA debit cards. Simple debit card, but can be used world wide or online as a credit card when needed. Obviously you can't go below $0, it uses your bank balance.

If you happen to be out of province or overseas, roaming charges may apply. Talk to your provider for more information regarding roaming charges.
CFRC: TORONTO
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2: Military Police
Trade Choice 3: Weapons Tech. (Land)
Application Date: Feb. 4, 2014
First Contact: Feb. 10, 2014
CFAT-TSD: Mar. 5, 2014
Medical:
Interview:
Position Offered:
Swear In Ceremony:
Basic Training:

Offline CDNAIRFORCE

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 14:38:46 »
There is no BMO branch in Cold Lake. The nearest one is in Lloydminster 160 kms away. We have the other big 4 though. I personally have yet to find better than TD in terms of available branches, machines, and hours. BMO shut their kiosk in the MFRC after a year to due lack of demand. If I recall it was only open a few days a week and there was no BMO ATM installed. Despite their claim as the CF's bank, I could not find any service with them that I could not already access through on-line banking or in-branch visits to any other major bank. Still having my main branch in a different province altogether, the only reason I use a teller lately is to get US dollars.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 15:02:56 »
i use a teller whenever possible,....I like to keep people employed.  Same as those self-serve lanes in the grocery store......no thanks.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 12:27:49 »
Same as those self-serve lanes in the grocery store......no thanks.

I think of them like this:

:nod:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline SMG

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 12:46:25 »
I'm with Scotia, but I've heard it's not too popular?
:tank2:

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 15:30:34 »
I will second President's Choice Financial.

No fees. Free cheques. They're not really a great bank for investments but I have had zero issues with them for years (vice my headaches with CIBC and TD).

Plus you earn PC Points will all your transactions and transfers etc. Who doesn't like free groceries?
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 15:33:40 »
You do know that CIBC runs PC right?
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 15:36:52 »

I do however it seems, PC more so just piggybacks on their ATM service. CIBC branch tellers won't serve you of you're a PC customer (won't or can't, probably both).

But surprisingly, I still have had fewer problems with PC despite their relationship to CIBC. When I was with CIBC I was always having my cards flagged, accounts frozen, cheques withheld.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 16:08:56 »
I do however it seems, PC more so just piggybacks on their ATM service. CIBC branch tellers won't serve you of you're a PC customer (won't or can't, probably both).

But surprisingly, I still have had fewer problems with PC despite their relationship to CIBC. When I was with CIBC I was always having my cards flagged, accounts frozen, cheques withheld.

As I said earlier, CIBC tellers were the ones who served me when my PC banking/house purchase/payment involved me needing a bank draft.  No problems.  As I use my PC Mastercard for EVERYTHING I purchase, I have accumulated ~$500 that I have as a rainy day/gift fund. I enjoy that Superstore sells electronics and toys..
Adsum

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 17:03:06 »
As I said earlier, CIBC tellers were the ones who served me when my PC banking/house purchase/payment involved me needing a bank draft.  No problems.  As I use my PC Mastercard for EVERYTHING I purchase, I have accumulated ~$500 that I have as a rainy day/gift fund. I enjoy that Superstore sells electronics and toys..

Interesting... CIBC won't serve me because I'm not a real CUBC customer.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 17:07:16 »
Interesting... CIBC won't serve me because I'm not a real CUBC customer.

Oh, I'm sure the case would be the same if I went to the teller but I haven't needed a teller in the longest time.  What do you need a teller for? Also, some Superstores have "in branch" banking.
Adsum

Online Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 23:36:08 »
As others have alluded to, PC Financial customers can use CIBC machines, but that's where the relationship stops.  PC Financial uses CIBC's direct banking infrastructure, but they have absolutely no visibility between each other at the teller level and upwards.  As Buzzliteyr said, if you need a bank draft from PCF, you can choose between it being sent XpressPost to you, or picking it up at a CIBC branch (which is faster).  When I want to make a payment on my CIBC LOC, I have to write a check on my PCF chequing account, and do the scan and deposit thing with the CIBC mobile banking app - or make a personal visit to the CIBC branch to pay cash against the LOC.  Overall, we're super happy with PCF.  The few number of times we've had anything bad to say about them pales in comparison to my experiences with TD and RBC.

Offline Anakha

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 10:57:10 »
I've had good experiences with Scotia though I know some have not. I left Royal because they screwed me over.

With Scotia my RRSP has always made a good return for decent fees. And some of the credit cards give a good % of money back if you meet the income requirements to get it.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 12:05:37 »

Oddly enough, Telus owns Koodo. I was a Telus customer for a long time but I was getting sick of it, especially since from what I could see Koodo had much better packages available, but they weren't one of the "big 3." After considering Koodo for so long and getting frustrated with Telus, I almost said "f**k it, I'm switching to Koodo," but just decided to hang up and go switch to Koodo without the drama. Good thing, as I'd have been pretty embarrassed when the person said "fine, we own Koodo anyway."

Anywho, I've found Telus and Koodo to be completing different companies despite Telus being Koodo's daddy.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Goose15

• loves the Great White North! █ ♥ █
  • Rate Post
  • Git 'R Done!
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 12:18:13 »

It works with iPhone for eDeposit as well.
Sometimes you just gotta put your head down and keep pushing.  :tank2:

If you are unable to find what you are looking for using the search bar go to google and type in: "army.ca/forums: keywords".

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 13:45:38 »
Any one but the blood bank.

Funny enough, since they have introduced remote banking with bank cards, banking machines and  internet banking, I think I have actually attended the blood bank more often than the financial ones ???

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 20:15:02 »
I've been using RBC my entire life.  Not really brand loyal - they do their job to my satisfaction.

They also have RBC USA - basically allowing me to instantly have the same credit that I had in Canada down in the US.  Credit Cards, mortgage, etc - all easily accessible and not a small $500 credit limit like every other bank down here.  Their online site has both USA and Canada accounts accessible - transfers from North to South can be made as easily as transferring from one account to another (albeit you pay the same ridiculous rates that your CC would charge you).
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:26 »
I have been with Scotia for a while, and now that my current job allows me more travel opportunities it's pretty sweet, since they have agreements with several banks around the world to waive ATM fees when you withdrawn money from them (Bank of America, Westpac, several others).  Also I like going to the movies ALOT (at least when I am home).

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 06:56:48 »
For those who have $100k in the bank in investments, mortgage, etc. HSBC Premier also allows real-time, no-fee transfers between international accounts.  Obviously, it's only really applicable if you have accounts in two countries and have some cash saved up (like an OUTCAN posting and a sold house).
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline s2184

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 19:21:59 »
I'm with Scotia, but I've heard it's not too popular?

Scotia tells you "you are richer than you think"

but,

when you try to borrow money from Soctiabank, it makes you feel "You are poorer than you think:-\
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it.

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 22:05:44 »
*IF* you get posted to the West Coast, I have very much enjoyed Coast Capital Savings Credit Union. My branch always recognizes me when I come in, they have free money management staff, lots of good options, are an ICBC insurance broker, and just in general have been very good to us. My wife has a small business account with them and they have a Small Business Experts to help her with that stuff. Finally, they're open Tues-Sat which gives their employees a full weekend off and I've never had any issues with not having a branch open Monday. If I ever get posted away from BC (postings being what they are) I will miss Coast Capital.

I've been with TD before, and the fee's man, the fee's! I paid a whopping fee to close my account with them. They had taken fees already to close it, but when I went to do the final withdrawal, I somehow owed them almost $35.00 more for closure fee's. Not pleasing.
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 09:26:06 »

I've been with TD before, and the fee's man, the fee's! I paid a whopping fee to close my account with them. They had taken fees already to close it, but when I went to do the final withdrawal, I somehow owed them almost $35.00 more for closure fee's. Not pleasing.

That's how banks make their profits; fee's for this, fee's for that. Adds up after awhile.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline OldTanker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 13:54:48 »
I think that over the years I've probably banked with pretty much every major Canadian bank, and some foreign (Germany, Cyprus) - driven in some cases by who was handy to where we lived when I was deployed, - sometimes not a lot of choice, other times linked to mortgage, etc. To be honest I never saw much of a difference over the long run. Different banks would run hot and cold with offers, service, fees, etc, but in the end I came to the conclusion I was looking for convenience, good customer service and reasonable costs and fees, so finally settled on local BOMC.  I imagine over time we have all had bad, and good, experiences with all of them.

Offline Zulu 95

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 03:31:55 »
At the moment I use TD just because that's the one that is most convenient for me. But I did learn the other day that they will wave any fees for closing out your mortgage early if you are a member of the CF
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Officer/NCM: NCM
Reg/ reserves: Reg
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application date: March 13, 2015
CFAT: May 25, 2015
Interview: July 16, 2015
Medical: July 16, 2015
Swearing in: October 14 2015
BMQ: October 26 2015
Position: Combat Engineer

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:03 »

Thanks a lot !

For chequing: Scotiabank
For investing: TD
For savings: ING Direct (now Tangerine)

Use all three.
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline Osprey

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 12:19:30 »
Hi Folks.

I am about to go on BMQ on JULY 21. I have spent some time looking into a good personal finance strategy for myself. I think I have a bit of a new view that might help some of you out. What I propose is opening an account with Tangerine, formerly ING direct. While also having a credit card. Tangerine offers no fee banking and easy longterm wealth building tools. Mutual Funds, RSP etc can all be purchased with a click. Although this might be the norm of online banking. I have found Tangerine to be outstandingly easy to navigate and understand. I have made good returns on there Mutual Funds and have felt in control of my money at all times. Since Tangerine is owned by Scotia you can do all your banking at Scotia ATM's. In addition to 7 elevens, Shell gas stations, etc. Be warned! If you handle a lot of cash that will be a pain to deposit. However, if you are mainly getting your disposable income from your pay check, you will be in great shape. I hope this helps a few of you out.

Osprey

Offline jside86

• Every time have its end
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 15:16:15 »
I really like TANGERINE, and converted some of my colleagues that used BMO military plan with them.

-No fee chequing;
-Free first 50 cheques, free debit card
-no Fee savings with higher returns than most bank
-open 24/7 via phone;
-ultra convenient web site;

The only down side of TANGERINE, is that they don't offer a Credit card... this will change soon they said.
For a Credit card, I highly recommend PC financial Master card, Get the one with the 2% return on groceries, I saved over $200.00 last year on groceries alone with this card, really worth it.

They also offer Mortgages and investment accounts with good returns.

Do the math,

BMO is $4.00/month x 12 = $48.00/year
Other banks averages around $12.95/month x 12 = $155.40/year
TANGERINE  is Free, free mean free!

If you need more info, email me: jside86@gmail.com. I am a bit of a Budget Nazi... but in the end there is so many things people can do to save up the little money we make!

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 17:31:36 »
All I can say is watch out for credit unions, as of September all new accounts will require a credit check to see if you owe any of their partner's money. Ie Master card, global payments, ect.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 14:33:26 by my72jeep »
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2014, 13:37:00 »
I've been using RBC my entire life.  Not really brand loyal - they do their job to my satisfaction.

They also have RBC USA - basically allowing me to instantly have the same credit that I had in Canada down in the US.  Credit Cards, mortgage, etc - all easily accessible and not a small $500 credit limit like every other bank down here.  Their online site has both USA and Canada accounts accessible - transfers from North to South can be made as easily as transferring from one account to another (albeit you pay the same ridiculous rates that your CC would charge you).

This is why I stay with RBC as well.

One point when you use your Canadian credit card in the US you receive an exchange rate that's about 1 to 2 percent worse than the Bank of Canada rate (- that's typical for all banks). In addition you pay a 1 + percent foreign transaction charge. On the other hand, when you transfer from your RBC account to your RBC (Georgia) account all that you are hit with is the current RBC exchange rate (no foreign transaction charge) - RBC (Georgia) has no physical branch offices but uses PNC Bank which is pretty much all over the States. (RBC used to have branch offices in the US but sold them all to PNC when they created RBC (Georgia).

TD Canada Trust also has a US branch which is TD Bank. I've recently opened accounts with them as well and you should note that their physical offices are concentrated on the east coast and at the present time transferring funds from the Cdn to the US banks is not as seamless as RBCs.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Ottawa Greg

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:12 »
I like TD... As mentioned above, they have a cross border banking option that is handy if you are in the US a lot. If you get their "Borderless" account you can also get pretty decent CAN to US exchange rates (compared to the rates you'd get with a regular account).

Offline Jacob Salmonds

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 18:55:31 »
Hello and good day! My name is Jacob Salmonds and after a long and ruthless, frustrating and rather impatient wait; I was sworn in the the 20th of August! I leave on the 5th of September to my BMQ and look forward to being part of a cool team  :salute: :yellow:

I do not ask of any personal information from you guys nor do I want any I am merely asking what a good bank to go with would be. I've read on the humble Google that BMO offers a nice rate and little perks for those enlisted but am not sure if this is just a gimmick. Any advice would be great as I tried to shop around a lot but couldn't find much info!

P.S. - Any last minute BMQ tips would also be greatly appreciated as I've read over the current forums topics like it was the last novel on earth. (If this is against the rules please refrain from doing so, and also I apologize if this post it as-well as I'm not sure where else to put it).

Cheers! And I look forward to working with you.
War, war never changes.

Offline Leeworthy

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 19:39:46 »
Most bases have a credit union close by. I do reccomend them.

Offline bwatch

• Long may your lums reak
  • Rate Post
  • This is me in Montreal
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 06:48:54 »
I find TD Bank good. You tell them what your looking for in a bank account or help you might need. I've been with them for years and never had any issues. They are also aware of the specific needs that members of the Forces have from time to time. As for the Bank of Montreal special account, I think it's just another gimmick to create more profit.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 13:09:36 »
I have banked with TD Bank my whole career. The only real complaint I have had with them are the high fees they charge if you don't meet the limits to have them waived. On the up side, they do have branches in most communities and the states. You can do pretty much everything online, including transferring funds via e-mail. And, as I found out this APS, they will waive the penalty for breaking your mortgage, if you are getting another mortgage through them, or are posted to an area where you are prevented from purchasing. All they need is a copy of your posting message.

Credit unions have one major drawback - they normally only have branches or ATMs in the area they serve. If you are getting posted around the country, it usually means closing your account and opening a new one upon posting. This means changing your pay, changing your credit cards, redoing your direct deposits, etc.

Offline Jewel144

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 15:51:35 »
BMO has an offering for military members.  It is not a gimmick. 
You can find more info here https://www.cfmws.com/en/ourservices/cdcb/aboutcdcb/pages/default.aspx  and here http://www.bmo.com/cdcb/

Bank where you are most comfortable banking.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 19:05:49 »
Credit unions have one major drawback - they normally only have branches or ATMs in the area they serve. If you are getting posted around the country, it usually means closing your account and opening a new one upon posting. This means changing your pay, changing your credit cards, redoing your direct deposits, etc.

As mentioned on previous pages, the BMO is also very similar; not found everywhere.  (If you want horror stories, read previous pages.)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:46 »

Another major drawback with credit unions and caisse populaires (Quebec) is that because they are not nation-wide, if you get posted to another location, you generally cannot port a mortgage.  Now that the government no longer pays any kind of mortgage termination fee, this can mean a huge loss on a posting if you have to break a mortgage.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline reinvented

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 16:40:11 »
One point when you use your Canadian credit card in the US you receive an exchange rate that's about 1 to 2 percent worse than the Bank of Canada rate (- that's typical for all banks). In addition you pay a 1 + percent foreign transaction charge.

If you're one to travel abroad frequently and like using your credit card, there are several credit cards now that offer zero foreign currency transaction charges. In other words, you'd have whatever currency you're spending converted to CAD at whatever Visa and MasterCard can get, which is good. Like you said, they usually use their rate + 2.5% on top of that as a commission. These cards don't have that extra exchange rate fee:

In no particular order..

1) Amazon.ca Rewards Visa (from Chase)
2) Rogers Platinum MasterCard
3) Marriott Rewards Premier Visa
4) Tangerine Money-Back MasterCard (this card only has a 1.5% foreign conversion fee instead of 2.5%)

Offline reinvented

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2017, 23:05:05 »
Hello all,

I wanted to create this thread about personal finance so that current and prospective members of the CF could create a discussion regarding the topics of bank accounts, credit cards, loans, investing, etc. I have noticed that in general people do not possess a great deal of financial education, which is no fault of their own, since it is not taught in schools and generally people have to fend for themselves with regards to their own money.

Anyways, I wanted to start things off with what I believe to be the best (read: optimal) bank account setup for me as of the time of writing. Hopefully it will help you save some money as well. I do not pay any bank fees, have unlimited transactions as well as some of the highest interest rates offered by a big bank. How?

I use two banks: Tangerine and RBC. Both serve their purpose. My Tangerine chequing account is my daily driver so to speak – that’s where my direct deposit goes. It’s completely free, with unlimited transactions, and, to my knowledge, has the highest interest rate for a chequing account. If you need an ATM, you can use any of Scotiabank’s. If you’re interested in getting an account you can message me privately, I have a referral code that will get you $50 for signing up for an account online.

As for my RBC chequing account, it’s like my backup. I use RBC when I really need a physical bank location where I can walk in and talk to someone (I find it necessary from time to time). Also, they don’t charge any fees when using e-Transfer!

The trick is making the RBC account free. If you already have a RBC chequing account that you’re paying a monthly fee for, the first thing to do is change your account type to what they call “Day to Day Banking”. You can do this through online banking or in a branch. If you’re setting up a new account then just ask for the “Day to Day Banking” chequing account. This is RBC’s most basic chequing account. It doesn’t give you much, but it’s enough (as a backup to your Tangerine account). It’s $4 per month, but luckily RBC has something called the MultiProduct Rebate (MPR). They offer you a rebate each month (on your chequing account’s monthly fee) if you have a couple of ‘products’ with RBC (ie. a credit card and an investment account).

In order to qualify for the MPR, you need: (1) an active credit card or a credit card with an annual fee, and (2) a pre-authorized monthly contribution to a RBC TFSA (or investment account) or a minimum of $500 in a RBC TFSA (or investment account). If you have both of those things, RBC will rebate you the $4 each month and the chequing account will be completely free.

What I do regarding RBC’s MPR is I have a no-fee RBC Cash Back MasterCard that I use once every couple of months or so to buy a coffee (to keep it active) and I also set up an automatic transfer of $25 per month (the minimum amount required) from my RBC chequing account to my RBC TFSA.

If you don’t like RBC for some reason, you could always replace that with BMO’s Performance Plan account. As a CF member they will waive the monthly fee and it looks like they have also removed the need to carry a minimum balance, which is great.

Minimum balances actually have an inherent cost simply due to the fact that the money left in the account IOT satisfy the minimum balance requirement is not being invested and thus not generating a return. These returns compounded over an investment lifetime ends up being incredibly expensive.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 23:15:53 »
Good topic for discussion. See also,

Entering the CF and YOUR Money.... 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=26093.0
10 pages.

Banking in the Canadian Armed Forces
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=113920.25
3 pages.

Separate from the above,
Banking in the CF!
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,80216.50.html
3 pages.

Investing SISIP vs Big Banks vs Credit Unions vs Private Firms 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=123701.0

etc...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 23:26:25 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2017, 22:31:10 »
One very nice thing about the recent backpay was the ability to hammer my Visa Bill down to zero balance, which I've maintained at zero since early July.

The last time I had it paid to zero was well over 2 years ago.  In the two years of statements I looked at, the lowest it got was about $1800....and it seemed to float around $3-4K most of the time.  It hit a high last December of $9600 when we did a family trip to Quebec, Ontario, and then Florida.

The $9600 was my wake-up.  I cut my spending on frivolous (ie gun stuff) to practically nil, and hammered away at the payments.  I got it down to less than $4K by April, which is pretty good all considering.

It hung at that level (due to some summer costs/travel/spending) until the backpay came in and let me zap it down to zero at last. 

I am continuing to maintain the 'forced frugality' that I self-imposed in the spring to pay things down, and my goal is now not to spend anything on the Visa which I do not have in cash to pay off immediately. 

I looked at the cost of carrying that average of $4K visa bill for 2+ years, and it was about $80 a month in interest.   Multiply that by 24 months, and that's damn near $2000 wasted on interest.

If there is one thing you can do for yourself, it's not to waste that $80 a month on interest charges. 

I know that the 'silly incidental' costs are going to creep back in on me, but I'm intent on spending more intelligently going forward.  Looking at my career, I see a path of a bit over 7 years.  It'd be nice to have some money to play with at the end of that instead of a load of debt.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline reinvented

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2017, 00:39:54 »
That's great that you were able to pay all of that off. Credit cards can be very beneficial (I use my credit cards for virtually everything that I can), but yeah, you really have to make sure that you can pay it off in full every single month. If you ever find yourself in that situation again, you could consider doing a balance transfer. For example, you could transfer that outstanding credit card balance to another credit card and it would be 0% interest for 12 months vs. probably 20% interest for your Visa. That way you'd be able to make payments while not accumulating interest charges for an entire year.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:25 »
Let's not forget that the Bank of Montreal is now our DND banking group and they offer some pretty sweet deals. We had them come in to work recently to brief us on things. The Mortgage rate we were quoted was a good .5% lower than others. They have free options as well including e-transfers.

I'd look into that.
Adsum

Offline Jewel144

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2017, 14:14:31 »