Author Topic: We get the governments we deserve, don't we?  (Read 29970 times)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Re: We get the governments we deserve, don't we?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 13:39:41 »
Dammit. Keeps happening... always being misconstrued.

People assuming Austrian when I meant Corsican and now this.....

Tarts, People!  Tarts!

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline GK .Dundas

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 13:50:12 »
Dammit. Keeps happening... always being misconstrued.

People assuming Austrian when I meant Corsican and now this.....

Tarts, People!  Tarts!

That's his  story and he sticking to it !   :nod: ;)
"Norman. You know my policy on arming morons.If you arm one you have arm them all. Otherwise it 's just not sporting!"

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 14:09:51 »
Well, these tarts are sticky (especially the Austrian honey-covered ones - don't know about Corsicans  ;D).

There's another word that could be misconstrued: Honey!

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2015, 05:51:19 »
Adam Vaughan is the MP for Spadina-Fort York, in downtown Toronto, a very well know city councillor and a bit of a "giant killer" in that he defeated Olivia Chow; he seemed like a "shoo-in" for cabinet, but ...

Rumours are floating about, spread by Jane Taber in the Globe and Mail that "the federal government quickly shut down any chance of [Toronto Island Airport] expansion to appease Mr. Vaughan for not naming him to cabinet."

Ms Taber goes on ...

"Earlier this month, and just a week after being sworn in to cabinet, Transport Minister Marc Garneau quickly tweeted his decision: “I confirm that GofC position is same as LPC commitment: we will not reopen tripartite agreement for YTZ.”

He gave no reasons or an explanation why he wouldn’t even wait for the studies on the effect of jets and the expansion of the runway to boaters, the harbour, noise levels and the environment."

Depending upon who you believe this decision is either what the residents of downtown Toronto want and need or it is economic vandalism that will cost Toronto thousands of good jobs and hundreds of millions in growth, year after year after year.

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 07:35:04 »
While a fan of Toronto's Island airport, I do understand (in part) the rationale behind not expanding it.  The land-side infrastructure is barely up to the task of supporting passenger movements now; it would likely cost in the low nine figures to reconfigure the land side to support larger aircraft and a significantly increased passenger throughput.  While the optics of appeasing the raving NIMBYs of Toronto is bad, the infra demands of Toronto to support an expansion of the airport might have tipped the scales.

More importantly, a little more than four years from now, once the government has a better sense of where they need support for re-election, this could become a "we support growing Toronto's economy" announcement; what's politics if not a series of 180 degree reversals for tactical advantage?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2015, 08:34:32 »
While a fan of Toronto's Island airport, I do understand (in part) the rationale behind not expanding it.  The land-side infrastructure is barely up to the task of supporting passenger movements now; it would likely cost in the low nine figures to reconfigure the land side to support larger aircraft and a significantly increased passenger throughput.  While the optics of appeasing the raving NIMBYs of Toronto is bad, the infra demands of Toronto to support an expansion of the airport might have tipped the scales.

More importantly, a little more than four years from now, once the government has a better sense of where they need support for re-election, this could become a "we support growing Toronto's economy" announcement; what's politics if not a series of 180 degree reversals for tactical advantage?

I wonder how that balances with the voters in Quebec that will be affected with Bombardier's sales (or not) to Porter that were predicated on the expansion of the airport? 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2015, 09:00:40 »
I wonder how that balances with the voters in Quebec that will be affected with Bombardier's sales (or not) to Porter that were predicated on the expansion of the airport?

I suspect Robert Deluce has a plan "B" for Porter.  (And likely a C and possibly a D to boot)  For example, what if Porter established a second hub in Montreal to fly C-Series jets?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:01 »
Or what would happen if the CAF ended up with a dozen of them for FWSAR, with the ability to reconfigure them for refugee rescue and humanitarian aid delivery?  Nevermind if it's what we need, its pork-barrel politics...
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2015, 10:54:14 »
I suspect Robert Deluce has a plan "B" for Porter.  (And likely a C and possibly a D to boot)  For example, what if Porter established a second hub in Montreal to fly C-Series jets?

You can have ten hubs in Montreal if you like, it doesn't make any difference if you are stuck landing at Pearson in Toronto. TO is where a second hub is needed.

On top of that, more numerous hubs won't be the issue in Montreal over the next four to five years: road infrastructure will be, as we are simultaneously rebuilding the main central road interchange in the City (the Turcot) - thus making east-west circulation a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time required to go to Dorval airport) while rebuilding the busiest bridge in Canada and main South shore access from Montreal (the Champlain bridge) - thus making circulation to and from the South shore a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time to go to Saint-Hubert airport). And of course, Mirabel is being demolished, so ...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:15:41 by Oldgateboatdriver »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2015, 15:30:46 »
You can have ten hubs in Montreal if you like, it doesn't make any difference if you are stuck landing at Pearson in Toronto. TO is where a second hub is needed.

On top of that, more numerous hubs won't be the issue in Montreal over the next four to five years: road infrastructure will be, as we are simultaneously rebuilding the main central road interchange in the City (the Turcot) - thus making east-west circulation a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time required to go to Dorval airport) while rebuilding the busiest bridge in Canada and main South shore access from Montreal (the Champlain bridge) - thus making circulation to and from the South shore a nightmare (meaning huge extra lead time to go to Saint-Hubert airport). And of course, Mirabel is being demolished, so ...

I can't figure out why they could not find another use for Mirabel......Like a processing center for all these refugees coming in......or something like a Freight Handling Center......

I am not looking forward to more traffic on the 30 than there already is.  Already it can't handle the volume from the 15 to the 20. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 15:44:01 »
I can't figure out why they could not find another use for Mirabel......Like a processing center for all these refugees coming in......or something like a Freight Handling Center......

I am not looking forward to more traffic on the 30 than there already is.  Already it can't handle the volume from the 15 to the 20.

Mirabel is a freight handling centre; they're demolishing (have demolished?) the passenger terminal.  It's also used by Bombardier  and various other aerospace companies.