Author Topic: Malaysia Airliner Disappearance  (Read 73900 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Malaysia Airliner Disappearance
« on: March 08, 2014, 13:04:06 »
A sinister development...

Perhaps terrorist suicide bombers (from a Malaysian Islamic group such as KMM? Or from a southern Thai Islamic separatist group called PULO?) were the ones who stole the passports?

Canadian Press link

Stolen Italian, Austrian passports on missing Malaysian airlines plane
The Canadian Press

By Colleen Barry

MILAN - Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is travelling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

(...EDITED)

Plus an update on the search so far:

Wreckage nearby?

Canadian Press link

Vietnamese planes spot 2 oil slicks close to where Malaysian jetliner vanished
The Canadian Press

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Vietnamese air force planes on Saturday spotted two large oil slicks in the area where a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanished earlier in the day, the first sign that the aircraft carrying 239 people — including two Canadians — on board had crashed.

The air force planes were part of a multinational search operation launched after Flight MH370 fell off radar screens less than an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing early Saturday morning.

A Vietnamese government statement said the slicks were spotted late Saturday off the southern tip of Vietnam and were each between 10 kilometres and 15 kilometres long. There was no confirmation that the slicks were related to the missing plane, but the statement said they were consistent with the kinds that would be produced by the two fuel tanks of a crashed jetliner.

(...)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:57:40 by milnews.ca »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
WAY too early to tell if there was any malicious act.  There is also a lot of smuggling, both human and drug, which is much more likely.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant
And also no claim from any terrorist organization......
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
WAY too early to tell if there was any malicious act.  There is also a lot of smuggling, both human and drug, which is much more likely.

Not trying to be smart or get in a pissing match. However, I'm wondering what insight you have that makes you fairly certain it was smuggling, human, drugs, or otherwise and why you think that.

Is dissecting this stuff part of your job or are you just taking a WAG (wild assed guess)?
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
And also no claim from any terrorist organization......

Yet

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
True.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
What emergency can happen in flight where the crew is unable to issue a distress call ? I suspect foul play. This reminds me of Lockerbie.In that case debris hit the ground.If the bomb had gone off later in the flight while it was over the Atlantic,who knows if the cause would have been solved.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
What emergency can happen in flight where the crew is unable to issue a distress call ? I suspect foul play. This reminds me of Lockerbie.In that case debris hit the ground.If the bomb had gone off later in the flight while it was over the Atlantic,who knows if the cause would have been solved.
I will admit I am no expert here, but having seen enough news reports and TV documentaries about aircraft incidents I would hazard to say a catastrophic failure, which is obvious I would think. What caused it? I am not sure anyone will know.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
There are multiple reports, including one of a statement by a senior Malaysian air force officer, that radar indicates that the aircraft had turned and appeared to be returning.

The absence of a debris field is unusual.

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Requiescat in Pace
    • Canadian ASL Open
And here's a link on that:

Military radar indicates that the missing Boeing 777 jet may have turned back before vanishing, Malaysia's air force chief said Sunday as authorities were investigating up to four passengers with suspicious identifications.
So, there I was....

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:00:45 by tomahawk6 »

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
Not trying to be smart or get in a pissing match. However, I'm wondering what insight you have that makes you fairly certain it was smuggling, human, drugs, or otherwise and why you think that.

Is dissecting this stuff part of your job or are you just taking a WAG (wild assed guess)?

I'm not "fairly certain", however it is much more likely and reasonable explanation that it wasn't as there are many more cases stolen and misused passports coming out of Asia then are generally reported and most linked to human and drug smuggling.  From everything I've seen so far, there hasn't been any of your normal indicators of it being an attack.  Could it?  Sure.  And if it does turn out to be the case, I'm willing to eat my words.

The pair traveling on the stolen passports had further flights booked from Beijing on a KLM flight to Amsterdam, at which point one was supposed to go to Copenhagen on 8 mar, and the other to Frankfurt on the same day.

Can any SAR experienced guys weigh in on what kind of fault(s) would knock out the Emergency Locator Beacon(s)?  Also taking a look at some depth charts of the waters where it supposedly went down, it doesn't seem all that deep compared to other oceans.  Again, I'm not an expert, but aren't these things designed to be able to transmit from fairly deep water?

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
The big mystery is why there hasnt been any wreckage found.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Can any SAR experienced guys weigh in on what kind of fault(s) would knock out the Emergency Locator Beacon(s)?  A
Two very separate systems aid searchers in finding downed aircraft.  ELT is good for crashes on the ground - ULB is what ultimately led to the discovery of the Air France wreck over the south Atlantic.  Underwater Locator Beacons are usually salt water activated and are co-located with the aircraft's data recorders (aka black box).  You would need to have someone listening for the sonar pings of an ULB (can only assume that they are doing this).

An ELT won't go off unless there is a semi-survivable crash - if the plane blows up in flight, no ELT activation.  If the plane landed somewhere sinister (ie highjacked), the ELT won't go off.  If the crew was somehow overpowered and forced to go somewhere, a smart villain would have the Mode 3C transponder turned off - thus removing the aircraft symbology from RADAR.

Anyone watch LOST?  I've been catching all the episodes again on Netflix - sounds very similar.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
I would think kicking over the squawk codes to 7000/7500/7600/7700 should be pretty quick.  (But I'm not a pilot)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
The big mystery is why there hasnt been any wreckage found.

Agreed T6, something doesn't seem right either way.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Agreed T6, something doesn't seem right either way.....

Like a fake oil spill to misdirect searchers.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Some debris has been located near the fuel slick.Its too dark and will have to wait until morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26506961

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
things get shredded pretty good when a plane nose dives at high speed into the water. I don't see the "win" here for destroying a Malaysian Airlines plane for any of the typical groups. If it was a Chinese connected group, why not take on one of the Chinese planes flying out of KL?

Offline AJFitzpatrick

• Distracted by shiny things
  • Rate Post
I'm not going to pretend to be an  expert but having watched just about every episode of Mayday, sudden catastrophic failures are possible. They all seem to be generally related to an underlying progressive failure that goes undetected due to poor maintenance/repair/inspection practices and with older aircraft

Hard to believe though this would be the case for a 777 though

However the Daily Mail says the missing plane had a ground collision 2 years ago ....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576353/Malaysian-Airlines-Boeing-777-centre-crash-probe-collided-plane-two-years-ago-breaking-wingtip.html

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
Latest word today is that Malaysian military radar had tracked the flight some 700 miles west of it's intended course, towards or over the Strait of Malacca.

Update: Apparently the Malaysian Air Force is disputing this claim now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-not-tracked-to-malacca-air-force-1.2567697
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 23:30:31 by cupper »
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
My Malaysian wife thinks that Malaysian incompetence happened both in the air and by the people tracking aircraft and now the government is running in circles to try to cover that incompetence up. She says that pictures of the pilots with blonds in the cockpit during flights and landings are floating around the net.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
My Malaysian wife thinks that Malaysian incompetence happened both in the air and by the people tracking aircraft and now the government is running in circles to try to cover that incompetence up. She says that pictures of the pilots with blonds in the cockpit during flights and landings are floating around the net.

From a news article (emphasis mine):

An Australian TV station reported that the first officer on the missing plane, Fariq Abdul Hamid, had invited two women into the cockpit during a flight two years ago.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~