Author Topic: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )  (Read 117607 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2019, 11:23:36 »
Yea good point! I completely forgot about HRG,  I dont think I've used it in at least 4 years.

You'll use it for sure as an ACSO.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline TechCrmn

• Rate Post
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2019, 14:40:25 »
Hey guys,

Can you confirm which courses are prerequisites for loading the ACSO Course?

Right now I'm tracking AMT Initial Aircrew, sea survival, basic EW, and BSERE (is this AOS-L, or AOS-SERE, or neither?)

Thanks

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2019, 14:45:41 »
BSERE is now called the AOS-L (Air Operationss Survival - Land).  Depending on time of year, it can be an enjoyable course - mine was in late Nov/early Dec.

Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline TechCrmn

• Rate Post
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2019, 16:01:19 »
BSERE is now called the AOS-L (Air Operationss Survival - Land).  Depending on time of year, it can be an enjoyable course - mine was in late Nov/early Dec.

Ok thanks! With that being said, what is a good time to take the course? I'd prefer cold over mosquitoes, but not sure where the AOS-L is conducted nor when the mosquitoes disappear for the winter in that area lol

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2019, 16:27:41 »
The training site is Springer Lake, NE of Winnipeg/close to the Ontario border.  I know a few guys who did summer courses and they looked like they'd been shot 1000 times with 12 guage birdshot, they had so many bug bites.   :nod:

I did mine in late Nov/early Dec.  No mud, no bugs, no snow (we may have gotten lucky!).  Average daytime temp on mine was +8, which was lucky for that time of year.  I had a blast on mine, if I would have gotten some game on my solo I would have stayed longer and enjoyed it.

If you go to the Winnipeg/17 Wing DIN site, look for CFSSAT (CF School of Survival and Aeromedical Training).  They used to have their course calendar online where you could see where they are running AMT, AOS-L, etc.  The same for BEW, that should be under the Barker College, also on the 17 Wing site.

For Sea Survival, you should be able to find that on the 19 Wing site under CFSSAR (CF School Search and Rescue).  I also loved the sea survival course, did mine in October at Quadra.

If you're interested, you might also consider doing the Basic EW course via DL.  I did mine that way;  3 months to complete vice the 1 week residential course, and something to do while you're on BTL.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 17:29:28 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2019, 17:00:15 »
EITS:  It's Barker College, not Baker.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2019, 17:15:58 »
EITS:  It's Barker College, not Baker.

Oops!   ;D   RCAF W/C William G. Barker VC Aerospace College

Is BEW a pre-req ACSO course?

Offline TechCrmn

• Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: May 11, 2019, 17:34:07 »
The training site is Springer Lake, NE of Winnipeg...

Ok great thanks for all of the info and the pictures too, it's much appreciated!

BEW is a prerequisite according to the ACSO TP I was able to find, I dont think it's the new TP though....

Offline TechCrmn

• Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2019, 20:13:31 »

If you're interested, you might also consider doing the Basic EW course via DL.  I did mine that way;  3 months to complete vice the 1 week residential course, and something to do while you're on BTL.

I'm hoping that while I'm on BTL they will send me to Trenton to do some OJE but if I do end up sitting around for any length of time I'll definately consider the DL (that's assuming I'm given the option), although I'd prob prefer to get it over with in a week residentialy.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2019, 11:38:32 »
I'm hoping that while I'm on BTL they will send me to Trenton to do some OJE but if I do end up sitting around for any length of time I'll definately consider the DL (that's assuming I'm given the option), although I'd prob prefer to get it over with in a week residentialy.

I know the week option sounds appealing.  However, the BEW course covers quite a bit of information.  Personally I’d recommend the DL method if that’s available to you.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2019, 11:55:23 »
I know the week option sounds appealing.  However, the BEW course covers quite a bit of information.  Personally I’d recommend the DL method if that’s available to you.

I agree.  It's a bit of a firehose and having the time to do it via DL helped.

Offline TechCrmn

• Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2019, 14:20:05 »

I agree.  It's a bit of a firehose and having the time to do it via DL helped.

Thanks for your opinion guys, maybe I'll go for the DL if I'm given the option and have the time, much appreciated!