Author Topic: Wire defenses still taught?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Wire defenses still taught?
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:40 »
Two things made me think about wire defense, the Bangalore torpedo thread and watching some ISIS videos of an assault on a IA base. So is constructing wire defenses still taught? I don't recall much wire being evident at our FOB's in the video's but that might be just OPSEC. If it is still taught is it mainly an CE task or is infantry still constructing their own?

Watching the ISIS assault a dug in position with fairly decent bunkers. The ISIS were able to successfully overrun the base using VIED's, suicide bombers and a coordinated, fairly fluid and aggressive light infantry assault. Judging by the tactics they show, I suspect they would have difficulty with a proper defense that would nullify their advantage of recklessness and speed. The wire and minefields would need to be defended for sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.   

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Wire defenses still taught?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:05:44 »
Wire obstacles are still taught, although the defence doesn't get practiced as much as it could.  We had wire obstacles and a moat (created by filling the HESCO) around our platoon house in Afghanistan.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 13:45:53 »
Wire IIRC is an all arms task but yes Engineers are taught how to set up various wire obstacles.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 15:12:05 »
... [are defensive wire obstacles] mainly an CE task ...   
CE is an organization on a base that builds and looks after the infrastructure.
The carpenters, plumbers, and electricians can put up wire, and CE likely would be responsible for the perimeter barriers of an established major fixed installation (think KAF).  However, generally, the infantry are supposed to be responsible for their own protective obstacles while cbt engr are supposed to be employed on tactical obstacles (those obstacles that, when joined with fires, cause the enemy to go where we want him to go).

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 15:20:48 »
Sorry I forgot that CE means Construction Engineers (AKA old and bent Combat Engineers)  ;D I meant Combat Engineers

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 16:02:45 »
Wire obstacles are still taught, although the defence doesn't get practiced as much as it could.  We had wire obstacles and a moat (created by filling the HESCO) around our platoon house in Afghanistan.

Moat, now there is something you don't don't think of. Is there still a pam on that? George W, Recce Guy  you guys were probably taught Moat breaching weren't you? 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 21:54:10 »
Moat, now there is something you don't don't think of. Is there still a pam on that? George W, Recce Guy  you guys were probably taught Moat breaching weren't you? 8)

Along with siege engines and proper field stripping and maintenance of your trebuchet.  :cheers:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 21:57:37 »
Along with siege engines and proper field stripping and maintenance of your trebuchet.  :cheers:

Maintenance of chariots and horses was taught as well.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 13:32:13 »
Maintenance of chariots and horses was taught as well.

Don't forget my first tank! https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A011CA1056&p=da+vinci+tank

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 13:44:01 »
I can imagine the capbadge (helmet plumes?) disputes about deploying it!