Author Topic: Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis  (Read 708057 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis
« Reply #1525 on: December 16, 2017, 17:44:31 »
The last IMPACT Aurora crew landed today in Greenwood.  Welcome home to the guys on the last of many sorties over 3+ years in support of the mission and BZ to all the folks who served the Det over the deployment.

Article Link - Dec 13th 

After 881 sorties and approximately 7,500 hours flown, and nearly 6,000 points of interest observed; 14 Wing Greenwood's CP140 Aurora air and ground crews are wrapping up their contributions to the international coalition to defeat Daesh. Their work in intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions have made a difference since October 2014.   The first of the last deployed personnel return to Greenwood December 16.

Article Link - Dec 16th   Nice to see the Div Commander there to welcome the guys home.

They’re back! 14 Wing’s Aurora landed home this afternoon, with the first of the last deployed long range patrol air and ground crews through with their role with Operation Impact. Welcome home!

Video of the crew taking off for the last leg home from EHRD   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_b9mu2ginM
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1526 on: December 16, 2017, 18:00:55 »
Merry Christmas guys, welcome home.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1527 on: December 18, 2017, 12:47:29 »
BZ to the men and women of the CP-140 Air Det! :salute:

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1528 on: December 23, 2017, 22:03:17 »
I have read an article that the government plans to revisit both the continued role of Op IMPACT and the decision to provide arms to the Kurds. It will be interesting to see what the future brings for this mission.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1529 on: December 23, 2017, 23:53:52 »
It has been over 3 years.  With western Anbar being called secure isn’t out mandate fulfilled?  Free Iraq from ISIS.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1530 on: December 24, 2017, 00:35:08 »
It has been over 3 years.  With western Anbar being called secure isn’t out mandate fulfilled?   
Maybe. Maybe there is more work to ensure the progress is irreversible. Either way, it is a government/political decision. So they are looking at it.

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1531 on: December 24, 2017, 09:30:03 »
It has been over 3 years.  With western Anbar being called secure isn’t out mandate fulfilled?  Free Iraq from ISIS.

Except they extended to 2019 and sent an Engineering contingent to assist the Iraqi Forces in Demining and Counter-Explosive Operations in the country.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1532 on: December 24, 2017, 10:23:12 »
And?  They can keep that contingent going and stand down the Garrison that the Kuwait location became with its hours of operation signs all over the place.   Reduce the footprint and save the taxpayers some cash. 

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #1533 on: December 24, 2017, 22:41:55 »

Iraq is free of ISIL 1.0.  ISIL 2.0 is the next task - we will have to see how Canada plans to contribute to that part of the mission, although I sense that it will not be insignificant
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1534 on: December 24, 2017, 23:11:11 »
And?  They can keep that contingent going and stand down the Garrison that the Kuwait location became with its hours of operation signs all over the place.   Reduce the footprint and save the taxpayers some cash.

ASAB- the textbook definition of a self licking lollipop.... 5 log organizations within 500 metres
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:55:59 by Bird_Gunner45 »

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1535 on: December 25, 2017, 05:10:06 »
ASAB- the textbook definition of a self licing lollipop.... 5 log organizations within 500 metres

I would love to take a blow torch to them all and recreate something that is sustainable.  The entire support structure with every org there is ridiculous. 

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #1536 on: December 25, 2017, 19:30:36 »
Should have just been OSH-K supporting ATF-I.   No need for JTF or JTFSC.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #1537 on: December 25, 2017, 19:40:13 »

How else do we get a bunch of Cols/Majs who missed Afg an operational tour?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #1538 on: December 27, 2017, 22:20:48 »

We have VR on our side now, right?
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1539 on: December 29, 2017, 08:57:47 »
Iraq is free of ISIL 1.0.  ISIL 2.0 is the next task - we will have to see how Canada plans to contribute to that part of the mission, although I sense that it will not be insignificant

Any thoughts on what changes to the current mission, ORBAT, might look like?

ASAB- the textbook definition of a self licking lollipop.... 5 log organizations within 500 metres

I would love to take a blow torch to them all and recreate something that is sustainable.  The entire support structure with every org there is ridiculous.

It warms my heart to see others outside the ATF LRP Det say these things.  The question now is...why did it become so 'fat' and why was it not scaled back?

I hope it was not solely because of this...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:01:30 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1540 on: December 29, 2017, 14:24:52 »
ASAB- the textbook definition of a self licking lollipop ice cream dispenser.... 5 log organizations within 500 metres

FTFY.  Considering the DFAC there, it's much more appropriate.   :nod:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #1541 on: March 19, 2019, 09:11:53 »
Two more years - more from the info-machine ...
Canada renews its military contribution to support stability in the Middle East
News release
March 18, 2019 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

The international response against Daesh has reduced the suffering of the most vulnerable, but the crises in Iraq and Syria persist. Continued support by the members of the Global Coalition Against Daesh is critical for long-term, regional stability. Canada remains fully dedicated to the efforts of the Global Coalition and NATO in the region, and will continue to work with its partners and allies to ensure the defeat of Daesh.

The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today announced that the Government of Canada is extending Operation IMPACT, the Canadian Armed Forces contribution to the Global Coalition and the NATO mission in Iraq, until the end of March 2021.

Under the renewed Operation IMPACT, the Canadian Armed Forces will continue to provide training, advice, and assistance to the Iraqi security forces, and support the Global Coalition and NATO with highly skilled personnel. It will also continue to advise Iraqi officials in building more effective and sustainable defence and security institutions, and provide capabilities to regional forces.

The Canadian Armed Forces' presence in the Middle East helps regional partners’ security forces to more effectively plan and execute military operations aimed at improving stability in the region.

Operation IMPACT is the military contribution to Canada’s whole-of-government Middle East strategy, which covers not only security and stabilization, but also humanitarian assistance and diplomatic engagement in Iraq, Syria and the region.

Quotes

“The renewal of Operation IMPACT and our shift in focus toward capacity-building, reflects Canada’s commitment to working with our partners in the Global Coalition to defeat Daesh and with our NATO Allies.The Canadian Armed Forces has consistently contributed to multinational operations and will continue doing its part by enhancing the institutional capacity of Iraqi security forces.”

- The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence

“Canada is committed to lasting peace and security for the people of Iraq, Syria and the surrounding region. This is why we’re proud to extend our contributions to the Global Coalition against Daesh, including military assistance, and to support NATO activities for peace and stability in the region.”

- The Honourable Chrystia Freeland, P.C., M.P., Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quick facts

Since 2016, through the Government of Canada’s whole-of-government Middle East strategy, Canada has contributed more than $2.1 billion toward security, stabilization and humanitarian and development assistance needs in response to the crises in Iraq and Syria and their impacts on Jordan and Lebanon.

The two-year extension of Operation IMPACT includes the authority to deploy up to 850 Canadian Armed Forces personnel in support of the Global Coalition, NATO Mission Iraq and capacity building activities with the Jordanian Armed Forces and Lebanese Armed Forces.

On July 11, 2018, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, at the NATO Summit in Brussels, announced that Canada would assume command of NATO Mission Iraq a new non-combat training and capacity building mission in Iraq. 

In November 2018, Canada assumed command of NATO Mission Iraq. This leadership role complements Canada’s existing efforts in the Global Coalition and Canada’s ongoing commitments towards creating a safe and stable Iraq.

Canada’s current contribution to NATO Mission Iraq includes approximately 250 Canadian Armed Forces personnel, including advisors, trainers, headquarters staff and force protection personnel. Canada has also deployed three Griffon helicopters and associated personnel to enhance in-theatre tactical transport, including casualty evacuations, if required ...
Bit more @ link
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter