Author Topic: 1st North American Expeditionary Force, & Canadian civilians join ground fight against ISIS  (Read 106250 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Indeed. Serving with the Kurds in the vicinity of the Turkish border is not a decision that can really be considered wise... Hopefully any Canadians in the beaten zone have the smarts to get out while they can. There's really nothing our government can do for them if the Turks capture them as combatants of a group they deem a terrorist insurgency.
Things are looking up -- for the moment, anyway ...
Turkey and the US have agreed to establish a joint operation centre to manage tensions between US-backed Kurdish militia and Turkish forces in northern Syria.

The announcement from the Turkish government came after three days of tense negotiations with US officials hoping to forestall a Turkish attack on the Kurdish YPG group, which controls large swathes of northern Syria.

Turkey sees the YPG as a terrorist offshoot of the Kurdish PKK, which has fought a bloody insurgency inside its territory for the past 35 years.

The defence ministry said in a statement that Ankara had agreed with US officials to “implement without delay” the first measures aimed at eliminating Turkey’s concerns.

“In that framework, to quickly create in Turkey a joint operation centre to coordinate and manage the implementation of the safe zone with the US.”

Ankara has stepped up threats in recent days to launch an offensive against the YPG.

That put the United States in a difficult position as a Nato ally of Turkey but also a supporter of the YPG as its main frontline partner against the Islamic State ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Indeed. Serving with the Kurds in the vicinity of the Turkish border is not a decision that can really be considered wise... Hopefully any Canadians in the beaten zone have the smarts to get out while they can. There's really nothing our government can do for them if the Turks capture them as combatants of a group they deem a terrorist insurgency.

:sarcasm:
Mind, if captured the could claim to be ISIS or Al Queda, then Canada would fly them here in a heartbeat, and give them seed money to buy a strip mall.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Mind, if captured the could claim to be ISIS or Al Queda, then Canada would fly them here in a heartbeat, and give them seed money to buy a strip mall.

I’ll help with the luggage if they’ll pay OT.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
I’ll help with the luggage if they’ll pay OT.

I know, right?  :rofl:
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
According to the attached report, Canada's in the top five of countries whose nationals are fighting against ISIS/Daesh in groups like the YPG, with about 1 out of 4 saying they're military vets (source).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter