Author Topic: Canadian Civilians Fighting ISIS (including threats to YPG)  (Read 114751 times)

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Whether one supports the Prime Minister's newest proposal or not, I would be willing to bet that such legislation would be overturned by the SCC on the grounds of a person's mobility rights.

Exactly. I wouldn't bet against you either.
Optio

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Legally, you could probably argue on what side of the FEBA you're on and which direction your pointing your rifle.

Kinda like how the Global War on Terror didn't include the IRA.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Whether one supports the Prime Minister's newest proposal or not, I would be willing to bet that such legislation would be overturned by the SCC on the grounds of a person's mobility rights.
True, but that will take 1)  a charge laid, and 2)  a legal fight all the way to the Supremes.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Another interesting point raised here with the proposed travel ban:
Too few details about the Conservative Party’s promise to ban travel to terrorism hotbeds has people like Maria Al-Masani worried she may never see some family members again.

“This is awful,” said Al-Masani, who came to Toronto from Yemen more than 10 years ago. “If I can’t go to Mukalla, I say bravo. That’s where the bad guys are and nobody should go there.”

“But if I can’t go to the whole of Yemen to see and help my family, I think that’s really racist,” added Al-Masani, who runs Yemen Rights Monitor, a blog that reports human rights violations ....
I'm also guessing Lebanon has bits that (at least on some days) could be considered "designated regions within foreign countries where listed terrorist entities such as ISIS are engaged in hostile activities," with not all of Lebanon in that category.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Another interesting point raised here with the proposed travel ban ....
And on the other hand ....
A Syrian-born doctor who now lives in Windsor supports Conservative Leader Stephen Harper's recent promise that if re-elected he would introduce legislation making it a criminal offence for Canadians to travel to parts of the world under the control of extremist groups.

"A re-elected Conservative government will designate travel to places that are ground zero for terrorist activity a criminal offence," Harper said Sunday during a security-themed campaign stop in the Ottawa riding of West-Nepean.

When Dr. Ahmad Chaker was asked by CBC News if he supported the election pitch he said:

"Yes, absolutely whatever it takes. The whole country is destroyed now," said the Windsor-based doctor, referring to the devastation in his homeland over the past few years ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Mo' Canadians Fighting w/Kurds?
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2015, 05:29:27 »
This, from VICE:
Two more former Canadian Forces soldiers have reportedly picked up arms alongside Kurdish militia to fight against the so-called Islamic State (IS, also known as ISIS) in Syria.

The revelation was made by another veteran who hailed from the same Alberta-based regiment and took a similar gamble last year.

"Steve Krsnik and Robert Somerville, two of my 1VP brothers getting some for themselves in Rojava," Brandon Glossop wrote on his Facebook page. "To date, the only ex-CF regulars I've heard of traveling to Syria to fight ISIS have all been ex [Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry]. This should not come as a surprise to anyone."

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry is one of Canada's major regular forces regiments that served extensively in Afghanistan's Kandahar province, a scene of major fighting against the Taliban insurgency.

Glossop says in his social media posting both Krsnik and Somerville are serving in Rojava — an area of northeastern Kurdish Syria — and the territory linked with the Kurdish People's Protection Forces (YPG) and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). VICE News requested comment from Glossop about his fellow veterans, but has yet to receive a reply ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline crowbag

• Rate Post
  • Smoking on stag
I think most of these ex-soldiers want a fight, and this one sounds like a worthy enough cause, so lets get involved they say. I sympathize with them in that sense – miss the action – all that good stuff, but they’re pawns at best. I think the geopolitical complexity of the situation in the region is unfortunately not something they're thinking about...

But damn, some of those Kurdish girls in the pics are hot! Maybe they’re onto something……Marxism? Kurdistan? A just war with no ambiguity? Sign me up…

On a side note – I enjoyed the bit in one of the articles about the idealistic kid from Saltspring Island…
Alright lads, good cam and concealment, but the ******* Brigadier is coming to visit so take the ganja off your helmets NOW!

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Oopsie ....
A Canadian army veteran who fought with Kurdish forces in northern Syria is being detained in Iraq, according to two acquaintances who said the former Vancouver resident was arrested along with five other Westerners.

“We are aware of the arrest of a Canadian citizen in Iraq,” said Rachna Mishra, a Foreign Affairs spokeswoman. “Canadian consular officials at the embassy of Canada in Amman, Jordan, are providing consular assistance as required.”

(....)

Hanna Bohman, a Vancouver woman currently with the Kurdish forces, said the Canadian was a volunteer with the People’s Protection Units, or YPG, the Syrian Kurdish militia battling the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

“Yes, he’s YPG,” she said.

Bohman said she met him at a YPG training facility as he was leaving Syria for Iraq. He was taken into custody in northern Iraq late last month along with a Swede, two Spaniards and two Americans — one of them a doctor, she said.

“He joined YPG because he was sick of ISIS,” said Colin Rutterford, a Briton who said he met the Canadian at a safehouse in Iraq in late June. Rutterford said he was a loner and spent his free time playing games on his phone. “Just a bloke there to do what he could.”

(....)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says a Canadian fighting the Islamic State group in Syria has been killed in a suicide attack.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/canadian+fighting+with+kurdish+forces+syria+killed+suicide+bombing+report/11493345/story.html

Offline 88rustang07

• Rate Post
I think most of these ex-soldiers want a fight, and this one sounds like a worthy enough cause, so lets get involved they say. I sympathize with them in that sense – miss the action – all that good stuff, but they’re pawns at best. I think the geopolitical complexity of the situation in the region is unfortunately not something they're thinking about...

But damn, some of those Kurdish girls in the pics are hot! Maybe they’re onto something……Marxism? Kurdistan? A just war with no ambiguity? Sign me up…

On a side note – I enjoyed the bit in one of the articles about the idealistic kid from Saltspring Island…

How does that make them "Pawns"? "The geopolitical complexity of the situation"  :facepalm: is irrelevant if their intent is to go and fight the IS and they do just that. Regardless if someone else agenda benefits from it they still did what they intended to do.

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says a Canadian fighting the Islamic State group in Syria has been killed in a suicide attack.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/canadian+fighting+with+kurdish+forces+syria+killed+suicide+bombing+report/11493345/story.html
This, from the Observatory ....
The Canadian fighter who died in an explosion in the countryside of al-Hool

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights was informed that the name of the Canadian fighter who died when a fighter from the “Islamic state” detonated himself in a farm near Dalhu village in the countryside of al-Hool is “John Robert Gallagher” (the name might be misspelled) 23 years old, where he was fighting in the ranks of the Syrian Democratic Forces which is having violent battles against the “Islamic state” in the vicinity of al-Hool area in Al-Hasakah province.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Tuan

• Rate Post
    • The LTTE Insider
This, from the Observatory ....

Sad, but has anyone thought if ISIS is sending a message to Canada by killing a Canadian who was training the Kurds in the wake of the news that Canada will expand its training mission in the region while withdraw the fighter jets and also coincide on the day our prime minister sworn in? Just a speculation...
"What is a rebel? A man who says no: but whose refusal does not imply a renunciation."
- Albert Camus

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Sad, but has anyone thought if ISIS is sending a message to Canada by killing a Canadian who was training the Kurds in the wake of the news that Canada will expand its training mission in the region while withdraw the fighter jets and also coincide on the day our prime minister sworn in? Just a speculation...
You seem to have confused him for a member of the Canadian training mission.  He was not.  He was a civilian who joined the Kurdish forces.

Offline Tuan

• Rate Post
    • The LTTE Insider
I thought he was an ex-soldier, no?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 21:44:09 by Tuan »
"What is a rebel? A man who says no: but whose refusal does not imply a renunciation."
- Albert Camus

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Remembered in the Ontario Legislature ....
The Ontario legislature paid tribute to a former Canadian infantryman Thursday after the Syrian Kurdish armed group he had served as an international volunteer fighter confirmed his death and called him a “martyr.”

Randy Hillier, an MPP whose son also fought with Kurdish forces battling the Islamic State of Iraq & the Levant, asked parliamentarians to recognize John Gallagher and send condolences to his family.

“He left the safety and security of Canada and volunteered to help defend women and children in Syria and Iraq from the tyranny of (ISIL),” Hillier said of the former Essex County resident, eliciting a standing ovation from MPPs ....
From Hansard (Ontario):
Speaker, yesterday we found out that another Canadian has fallen in combat.

John Robert Gallagher grew up in rural Ontario, in Wheatley, Essex county. He grew up to be a man of courage and conviction. He was a former member of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. He left the safety and security of Canada and volunteered to help defend women and children in Syria and Iraq from the tyranny of IS.

I would like to recognize, and I’m sure this House would like to recognize, both his courage and his virtue and express our condolences to John Gallagher’s family.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
A different scenario, via the National Post:
A Canadian army veteran killed in northern Syria last week was shot at close range by a gunman who approached him during the early morning darkness, according to two fighters who were nearby at the time.

Refuting reports that John Robert Gallagher was killed by a suicide bomber, both told the National Post he had actually died of a gunshot wound to the leg. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant fighter who shot him was killed.

“He died amongst friends and brothers,” said one of them, who had fought alongside Gallagher and said he was 500 metres away at the time of last Wednesday incident near Hasakeh, where they were trying to retake a village from ISIL.

He said Gallagher was “set up near a house in the prone position and then a man approached him.” Apparently unsure who the man was, Gallagher spoke to him. The man then pulled his gun and the others, realizing he was ISIL, shot him.

But as the enemy fighter was falling, he let off a burst of gunfire and one of the bullets struck Gallagher’s hip. “There was massive internal bleeding.

There wasn’t anything that could be done,” said another fighter who was nearby ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Mo' Canadians Fighting w/Kurds?
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2015, 12:49:04 »
This, from VICE:
Two more former Canadian Forces soldiers have reportedly picked up arms alongside Kurdish militia to fight against the so-called Islamic State (IS, also known as ISIS) in Syria.

The revelation was made by another veteran who hailed from the same Alberta-based regiment and took a similar gamble last year.

"Steve Krsnik and Robert Somerville, two of my 1VP brothers getting some for themselves in Rojava," Brandon Glossop wrote on his Facebook page. "To date, the only ex-CF regulars I've heard of traveling to Syria to fight ISIS have all been ex [Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry]. This should not come as a surprise to anyone." ....
More from one of these wacky funsters, via VICE:
In the wake of one Canadian veteran's death fighting against the Islamic State (IS), another former soldier with the same rebel group is calling out Justin Trudeau's government for lack of action — and urging others like him to go rogue and join the war.

"In need of good and willing soldiers," Steve Krsnik wrote this week in a Facebook post. "Combat vets and experienced soldiers are needed in the fight against ISIS. The more experience the better if you are interested please send a PM for more details. With a list of experiences and courses preferred."

(....)

He and Somerville are serving with the Kurdish People's Protection Forces (YPG) in Kurdish Syria in territory loosely controlled by the YPG and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

When asked in September by VICE News why he chose to fight with the YPG, a group with links to the PKK, which is deemed a terrorist organization by some nations, Krsnik said "the choice was easy" and that he was eager to fight, while other avenues were taking too long.

"I am working as a volunteer fighting in Kurdistan against ISIS cuz our POS government isn't doing anything to help atm," said Krsnik in response to a friend who questioned his motives. "I am fully independent and working with local forces to push back and eliminate the threat we face. No disrespect taken brother."

(....)

"Only hard choice was how do I go about the whole PKK affiliation and other parties that have questionable ties and how that would effect my return," said Krsnik in a Facebook message to this reporter ....
And why would fighting in the YPG for the Syrian branch of the PKK be an issue, you may ask?  Because Canada considers it a terrorist organization:
.... Formally established in Turkey in 1978 by Abdullah Ocalan, the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK / KADEK) is a Kurdish political party whose main goal is the creation of an independent Kurdish state in southeast Turkey and in northern Iraq, a region that is part of the traditional territory of the Kurdish people. To reach its goal, the PKK / KADEK has led a campaign of guerrilla warfare and terrorism, especially in Turkey and in northern Iraq. Its activities include attacking the Turkish military, diplomats and Turkish businesses at home and in some western European cities. It has also been known to bomb resorts and kidnap tourists in an attempt to destabilize tourism in Turkey ....
And it was a Liberal government that declared them bad boys 13 years ago (almost to the day - 10 December).  Interesting times, indeed ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Some of the latest ...
The notion that Canadian volunteers fighting with Kurdish forces in northern Iraq and Syria could face prosecution under the former Conservative government's tough anti-terror laws has one human rights group calling for stricter supervision of the country's military training mission in the war-torn region.

A secret "Canadian Eyes Only" analysis of the Kurdish peshmerga, prepared by Transport Canada's intelligence branch, warns there are some factions of the militia group that are designated as terrorist entities under federal law.

"Any Canadians claiming to have links to organizations such as the People's Worker Party (PKK) are likely to become the subject of Canada's anti-terror legislation," says the report to the department, one of many federal agencies with a security assessment branch ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Transport Canada's intelligence branch?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

tis a oxymoron for sure, although they do have a Marine security branch, but it's more a data collection and report generation unit

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman

tis a oxymoron for sure, although they do have a Marine security branch, but it's more a data collection and report generation unit

Actually; it is a lot more than that.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

It's a bit more than just maritime security. It covers most of the transportation sector as well. 
Optio

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Obviously, Transport Canada is not a law enforcement agency and they are not charged with security intelligence. However, by virtue of what they do, including various types of inspections, and of the large volume of various transportation related information that go through their hand, they come upon interesting clues and leads.

The intel section sifts through that data they generate to identify these clues and pass them on to the proper enforcement agencies, be they RCMP, CATSA, CBSA, etc. It's not high level security intel work, but I have seen good info come out of TC.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Okay fair enough but doesn't it still sound a bit weird?

A secret "Canadian Eyes Only" analysis of the Kurdish peshmerga, prepared by Transport Canada's intelligence branch

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Obviously, Transport Canada is not a law enforcement agency and they are not charged with security intelligence.

All intelligence agencies are charged with 'security'.  That does not mean that it involves 'security' as related to LEOs or various forms of espionage.  It could deal with such things as 'physical security'. 

For those in Ottawa, you should have some idea of how many "Intelligence" organizations there are.  Nearly every Government Department has an "Intelligence" organization.  There are units that track financial transactions -- the "Follow the Money" guys.  There are "Intelligence" organizations that track threats to the environment.  Of course we have the RCMP, CBSA, Public Safety and a few others tracking criminal activities.  DND/CAF are tracking foreign military activities.  Global Affairs (formerly Foreign Affairs) are tracking political and economic conditions overseas.  CSIS and CSEC are doing their thing.  Transport Canada is just one of many, tracking any threats to any Canadian transportation, including such things as passengers on transport vehicles (air, land or sea).  There are numerous origanzations collecting and sharing "intelligence" in the country.  One could get quite paranoid in the nation's capital if you started looking for "spooks".
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.