Author Topic: Tent heaters  (Read 16916 times)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Tent heaters
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 00:16:45 »
If you're looking for a heater to use in a 5 or 10 man tent on winter exercise with the army you'll probably be wasting your money.  Lantern, 2 burner coleman stove and maybe the peak mountain stove is all most leadership will let you use.

If you're looking for ideas for private camping check out Zombie Squad forums, they have some pretty awesome winter camping threads over there.

We allow our guys to use Whisper Light stoves in addition to the issue stuff. They run on naphtha as well.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 00:20:49 »
Personally, I think a companion of the appropriate gender is best tent heater.

Got a NATO Stock number for that?
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 00:25:04 »
On my JLC/CLC in the middle of Aldershot in February that's all we had was a Coleman stove and lantern in a 6 man arctic tent.

Put out enough heat you could sit around in your T-shirt and underwear.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 00:29:01 »
Jeeper creepers, look at all these replies. I've got some reading to do.

Yeah, the reason why I'm looking for a little heater thing is because our own from like WW2 keep on malfunctioning resulting in an ice cave for a tent on EVERY winter ex. Bad for morale.

You must be doing something wrong. I have been in 10 man arctic tents at -35c, with only a Coleman Stove and a lantern going and they easily kept the temperature well above 0c.

Offline Ludoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:22 »
Got a NATO Stock number for that?
Given the age/condition of the kit I usually get issued, I doubt this is the kind of item you want supplied by your QM.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 07:40:04 »
Thank you for your imput. I'll give them a peek.

I see what you did there ;)
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:33 »
Given the age/condition of the kit I usually get issued, I doubt this is the kind of item you want supplied by your QM.

That particular NSN would provide a wide variety of ages/shapes/sizes/functionality/etc. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Chispa

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:38 »
I use my Coleman heater now, and when I served we always used the lanterns to heat up the tent.
Once your acclimatised to the cold too much heat is not recommend keep it down in the tent

SVP make sure you have proper ventilation prior to using the heater.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper legwork have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog  http://wp.me/55eja

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 13:25:03 »
Depends on your tent, i use a tigoat wood stove with my tigoat teepee and haul the thing on a one man sled.  Fuel consists mainly of blown down wood with a few big hardwood logs overnight. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!