Author Topic: How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?  (Read 34219 times)

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?
« on: February 25, 2015, 13:55:08 »
I'm asking because I couldn't find this info online.

Also, I'm planning on joining the reserves (artillery) in BC, and I want to know if the C3 will still be there in the next couple years?

Thank you,

Philip

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 14:21:49 »
Because this will prevent you from joining?

Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 14:23:13 »
No, because I am currently out of the country and unable to ask a recruiter this question.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 14:28:02 by sharki9876 »

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 14:30:38 »
here is what I hear from my PRes Arty unit.

And remember I'm only a small Gunner ... so What do I really know ?

More and more people are going to the mortar side of things.  From what I've heard from different SGT and MBDR , we are going to become some small mortar unit.

The C3 is still used tho , from what I've heard , the weapon techs wouldn't really repair it nowadays.  Basically you use it and hope it doesn't break.  Is this true ? I doubt it , but we never know.

As far as LG-1s , I've never used them so I wouldn't know.

Keep in mind. These are not Official Statement , these are simply thing that I've heard and spoke to with some member of my CoC...
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 14:34:23 »
No, because I am currently out of the country and unable to ask a recruiter this question.
I stand to be corrected, but I wouldn't worry about what hardware may or may not be in a unit you may or may not be accepted into this early in the process.
β€œThe risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 14:40:40 »
Right, well I'm fairly pumped about this, and even if it takes me a year or two, I'll keep trying.
And, please educate me if otherwise, but it's not that hard to get into the reserves, is it? I'm hoping the vast majority of people that stick to it and don't give up will eventually get their phone call?  :bullet:

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 14:57:13 »
I'm still trying to figure out what the type of equipment they have or whether or not you are in the country to ask that is pertinent to you joining?

"I want to join"
"Awesome, here's the paperwork"
"But do they have LG-1s?"
"No"
"Oh, you can keep the paperwork, I'll go work at McDonald's instead"

That's what I am picturing in my head.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 15:02:15 »
I'm still trying to figure out what the type of equipment they have or whether or not you are in the country to ask that is pertinent to you joining?

"I want to join"
"Awesome, here's the paperwork"
"But do they have LG-1s?"
"No"
"Oh, you can keep the paperwork, I'll go work at McDonald's instead"

That's what I am picturing in my head.

Thank you for your input.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 15:13:10 »
Right, well I'm fairly pumped about this, and even if it takes me a year or two, I'll keep trying.
And, please educate me if otherwise, but it's not that hard to get into the reserves, is it? I'm hoping the vast majority of people that stick to it and don't give up will eventually get their phone call?  :bullet:
Given how many factors go into a "you're in" vs. a "you're not" decision, nobody (in their right mind) on a public forum is going to predict your chances of getting in, one way or another. 

Persistence (short of criminal harassment/stalking), balanced with patience, are virtues.  Still, the only way to find out if you can get in is to start the process.  If you can't do that while you're out country, you'll have to wait until you're back in country.

Best of luck.
β€œThe risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 15:15:26 »
Best of luck.

Thank you. Looks like I'll be needing it.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 15:26:42 »
If I am not mistaken most of the LG-1's are pooled in 5 DIV
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 19:18:20 »
There are 28 LG1's in service: 1 is used for training weapon technicians, one is used as test bed for different purposes, and 2 are used for salute purposes in St John's.  The remaining 2 dozen are used in the Artillery School and the Primary Reserve Artillery units in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

All other Reserve Artillery units, including the two in BC, use the C3 and 81mm mortars.  The C3 is on very shaky legs, they were recently prohibited from live fire again, so the future of them is not clear. The C3 remains the main gun Reserve Arty training is based on, with mortar training being secondary. 

Certainly within the next few years there is an operational reason to keep the C3s around; they're used for doing avalanche control in Rogers Pass. There are some alternatives to using the C3s for avalanche control, technically it's not that easy to switch over to another weapon system, and though it can be done it won't be cheap.

Both BC Arty units routinely augment the Regular Force Detachments that deploy to Rogers pass. Primary Reserve Arty units are also expected to fill out the many gaps in the Regular Force Artillery units, should they deploy operationally. During the height of Afghanistan campaign, Reservists made up 25-30% of the gunners deploying

IMO, it is a worthwhile investment of your time.
Good luck 

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 16:45:56 »
For what its worth the new(ish now) PRes weapons tech training program will run its first 105 howitzer course in the coming years, with course content being planned for either the C3 or the LG1 (with a overall 105 howitzer qualification being granted at the end). No idea what will determine which gets trained on but the plan is there for both options.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 02:53:04 »
For what its worth the new(ish now) PRes weapons tech training program will run its first 105 howitzer course in the coming years, with course content being planned for either the C3 or the LG1 (with a overall 105 howitzer qualification being granted at the end). No idea what will determine which gets trained on but the plan is there for both options.

Sorry this probably sounds stupid, but are you saying that weapons techs are getting trained to use 105's? How is this different from the training any other gunner gets?

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 03:38:44 »
Sorry this probably sounds stupid, but are you saying that weapons techs are getting trained to use 105's? How is this different from the training any other gunner gets?

Ever broken one down to the nuts and bolts? And getting maintenance quals on 105 Is new for PRes tech's
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 03:45:28 »
Ever broken one down to the nuts and bolts?

Haven't had the pleasure.

And getting maintenance quals on 105 Is new for PRes tech's

This is interesting to me, because I've read that since the C3s are on their way out, they're not receiving as much maintenance as before. Unless you're referring to LG-1  maintenance..

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 14:31:36 »

This is interesting to me, because I've read that since the C3s are on their way out, they're not receiving as much maintenance as before. Unless you're referring to LG-1  maintenance..

I wouldn't be surprised, there was talk we wouldn't be taught C3 cause its on its way out. As of right now there is a plan to teach both the C3 and the LG-1, no idea why and no idea what will decide which one is taught

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 16:27:14 »
the C3 were being examined for muzzle cracks where the muzzle brake attaches. 15th Fd has 4 last time I saw them. Of course we could rebuild the 3x 25pdrs as there seems to be ammunition for them and they currently being used by the Kurds against ISIS.

http://pof.gov.pk/products/Artillery_Ammunition/QF_25_PDR_MK_2/1/6/

Offline Ralph

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 20:05:07 »
Haven't had the pleasure.

Where did you read that?

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 20:09:05 »
Where did you read that?

Earlier in the thread, as well as in many others

Offline Ralph

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 20:31:56 »
The C3 is still used tho , from what I've heard , the weapon techs wouldn't really repair it nowadays.  Basically you use it and hope it doesn't break.  Is this true ? I doubt it , but we never know.

No, it's not true. C3s receive as much maintenance as the M777s; which is to say, as much as is required. We're deploying them next week for fire planning.

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 20:35:02 »
Okay, well it was obviously just a rumor. Still, if I end up in my local artillery regiment in the next few months, I wonder if they will still have C3s.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 22:46:05 »
The C3s will be around for years to come. Not going anywhere and us techs at reg force units see them all the time.

They have been "on the way out" since I can remember.
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Online Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 23:32:18 »
I sure don't share sidemount's optimism

The latest C3 problems are cracks at the muzzle and the machined clinometer area on the barrel (see pic)

Inspections are ongoing using magnetic particle inspection techniques to determine which guns have these cracks (they can't be detected by eye). Any gun with these type of barrel cracks are permanently prohibited from live fire; no word yet if they'll be allowed to remain with the unit for dry training and salute purposes only.

So far the prognosis isn't good; the cause is not known, and there are no spare barrels to repair them.

I'd say we'll have them within units for another year, but I'd expect a pooling of the few live fire remaining C3 at training centres most likely, and hopefully some dry fire ones still in units for training.
But if they don't determine the cause of this cracking within the next year, I'd say they won't be around much longer.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 23:38:45 by Petard »

Offline sharki9876

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 23:39:27 »

So far the prognosis isn't good; the cause is not known, and there are no spare barrels to repair them.

Maybe that's why I heard that no ones maintaining them.